Car Insurance Excess

Options
I need some advice.

In July 2017 someone crashed into the side of me, it has taken up to November 21st and countless telephone conversations for the third party to accept liability. I paid my excess (£400) to have my car repaired in a garage and now I'm waiting for it to be refunded back to me. I've spoken to my insurance (Diamond) who say that they are waiting for payment and there is no immediate rush - my only concern is that they can't promise that my claim will be closed by the time my insurance policy is up in March. Can anyone advise on this and what to do to get this claim closed before I renew? Otherwise my insurance is going to shoot up even though liability has been accepted.

Thank you.

Comments

• ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure that there is much that you can do other than wait for the third party's insurer to reimburse your insurer. The claim won't be closed until all monies are recovered. It is very annoying, but there is nothing you can do at the moment.

Have you got any quotes, however, to see what the cost would actually be? You might find that it is not as bad as you expect, and once fully settled you can advise your new insurance of the updated situation.

Remember that, even if you are not at fault, you still have declare the accident and it will have an effect on your premiums.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You need to pursue the other side for your excess (and any other uninsured losses) back - if you have "legal cover" with your policy use that otherwise diy.

If the claim is still not closed at renewal and your NCD is not protected (meaning you will have it reduced pending the claim being closed) and you want to change insurers then explain the circs to your chosen insurer and ask that they reduce your premium if and when your NCD is reinstated and refund you the difference back to the start date

If they agree then ask for this in writing and get it before you buy!

Next time you are involved in a claim where the third party is liable then consider not claiming off your own policy and either claiming direct off the third party insurer or using a claims handler which will remove this issue!
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Next time you are involved in a claim where the third party is liable then consider not claiming off your own policy and either claiming direct off the third party insurer or using a claims handler which will remove this issue!

That's what I did but it doesn't seem to remove this issue. I reported it to my own insurer 'for information only'. My solicitor has told me that my premium on renewal could still be much higher, even though I'm not claiming on my own policy. She said the premium difference would be added to my claim from the third party. However, I know I'll have to declare this incident for the next 3-5 years so premiums will still be higher for that length of time.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    That's what I did but it doesn't seem to remove this issue.....
    It completely removes the OP's issue (open claim not resolved by renewal time)!

If you claim off the liable third party then no excess to pay/no temporary loss of NCD/no problem moving insurers at renewal
  • Thanks all it’s really helpful. Unfortunately the accident was in my first year of driving so I didn’t know what to do other than call them so it was all resolved legitimately. I’ve been quoted over £2000 for insurance with this open claim. I’ve had such a poor experience with Diamond I really don’t want to stay with them but looks like they’ll be the only ones who will be cheaper as they have records of this claim.

I’ll definitely call around and ask about the NCD and if they’ll refund the difference if the claim closes but was hoping it would take 4 months to get!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure