BT 24 month contract

Options
2016 November I signed a contract with BT to supply broad band, phone landline and TV for £61.99, it was half what I had been paying SKY and I thought a good deal, with caller display too.
I was just checking my direct debits as Martin said on last nights show and found I was paying £73.24.
I queried it with BT today. I thought i'd signed up to pay £61.99 for 24 months.
it seems they have just increased the charges in November, they have said that I would have been notified that charges were increasing and at that point I could end the contract, if I hadn't responded within 30 days I get to pay, they said because I missed the notice if I want to end the contract it will be £300.
I didn't get a notice about choice and payment increases I checked.
I said I can't afford the new cost it isn't what I anticipated...... I hadn't got an email saying the costs were rising.
I checked my email just to be sure when I put the phone down...... there was one in November saying the caller display which had been free was going to be £1.75 increase, if I wanted I could go online and renew it.... there is nothing about my other choices, and other charges, it doesn't say I can end the contract it just says that I can renew the ''free'' caller display if I sign for another 12 months.
The BT representative I spoke to said I have to pay the new charges or £300 to end the contract. They sent me an email November and that allows them to increase the cost.
The email I got was about the caller display charge and an option to pay £1.75 a month , no information about other increase charges nor about choices to end the contract, nor does it say there is a time limit on my response to the increase in charges.
it seem BT get you to sign up 24 months to pay £61.99 then with no clear information or customer options made clear the bill gets increased and you have no easy way out.
they said I should have responded within 30 days of notification via email, but the only email I got was about caller display it didn't say because they were increasing the bill I had an opt out of the contract, if it had i'd have taken it.
i am stuck , i don't have £300 to get out of my contract with BT and I can't afford the increase they have charged. I didn't get a clear notification that there was a choice to end the contract if i couldn't afford the new charges.
what do i do?

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    diane*** wrote: »
    2016 November I signed a contract with BT to supply broad band, phone landline and TV for £61.99, it was half what I had been paying SKY and I thought a good deal, with caller display too.
    I was just checking my direct debits as Martin said on last nights show and found I was paying £73.24.
    I queried it with BT today. I thought i'd signed up to pay £61.99 for 24 months.
    it seems they have just increased the charges in November, they have said that I would have been notified that charges were increasing and at that point I could end the contract, if I hadn't responded within 30 days I get to pay, they said because I missed the notice if I want to end the contract it will be £300.
    I didn't get a notice about choice and payment increases I checked.
    I said I can't afford the new cost it isn't what I anticipated...... I hadn't got an email saying the costs were rising.
    I checked my email just to be sure when I put the phone down...... there was one in November saying the caller display which had been free was going to be £1.75 increase, if I wanted I could go online and renew it.... there is nothing about my other choices, and other charges, it doesn't say I can end the contract it just says that I can renew the ''free'' caller display if I sign for another 12 months.
    The BT representative I spoke to said I have to pay the new charges or £300 to end the contract. They sent me an email November and that allows them to increase the cost.
    The email I got was about the caller display charge and an option to pay £1.75 a month , no information about other increase charges nor about choices to end the contract, nor does it say there is a time limit on my response to the increase in charges.
    it seem BT get you to sign up 24 months to pay £61.99 then with no clear information or customer options made clear the bill gets increased and you have no easy way out.
    they said I should have responded within 30 days of notification via email, but the only email I got was about caller display it didn't say because they were increasing the bill I had an opt out of the contract, if it had i'd have taken it.
    i am stuck , i don't have £300 to get out of my contract with BT and I can't afford the increase they have charged. I didn't get a clear notification that there was a choice to end the contract if i couldn't afford the new charges.
    what do i do?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5771753
  • diane***
    Options
    thanks inner........ i just read this link.

i was interested to read about the ''price increase notification emails'' i didn't get one, and i did consent to email communication.
    i just did a search in my emails.... just got the caller display offer of free renewal. In November.
    if Bt have proof of who they notify i should get some help hopefully.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure