Pay as you go phone

Options
My wife has never been tech savvy and the phone she has is an old Nokia. She always topped it up when the credit ran out.
Because she hasn't used it in ages the number she has isn't in service anymore so with a bit of persuasion by myself she visited the Vodafone shop and bought a bundle, as they called it. This was back in November but the £10 has somewhat disappeared and no credit is on the phone.
I have since been told the credit now only lasts a month, is this correct?

Kind regards Jeff.

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 January 2018 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Yes. A bundle gives a large number of calls, messages and internet usage to use in one month, then you buy another one. For anyone using their phone more than a couple of times per month this is often the most cost effective choice.

If your usage is very low, you need to instead choose a tariff where you pay per minute, per message and per MB. With these deals the top-up credit will last until you use it (but you must make one call every 90/180/check-with-provider days to keep the SIM card alive).

These 'old-style' pay as you go deals are available from most mobile providers but the rates vary from 3p per minute to 45p per minute. You should choose a provider that charges at the lower end of that range (i.e. not Vodafone - they are among the most expensive).

If your usage on this type of deal would result in spending more than £5 per month, instead get a £5 bundle as this will give you headroom with spare calls and messages if you need them.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    Three are quite good, 3p a min for calls, 2p a text amd 1p for each MB you use.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Giffgaff are good, I'm with them. They offer free Giffgaff to Giffgaff calls and texts so if you were also with them that would be great.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed. For someone with very low and only occasional usage Three offer a good PAYG option. The only thing to check would be whether or not the phone was locked to Vodafone. If it is then you need to get it unlocked before trying to use a Three SIM. I believe old Nokias are, however, relatively easy to unlock.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    The only thing to check would be whether or not the phone was locked to Vodafone.
    ... and that it supports 3g. If it's a VERY old Nokia it might not!
    Stompa
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    In future, you are best doing your own research. You will never get unbiased honest advice from anyone in any phone shop.

The editorial pages on this site have good advice, but more detailed advice can be found at kenstechtips.com which is kept up to date.
  • Steve_Akins
    Steve_Akins Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2018 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Vodafone offers multiple big value bundle scheme £ 5, £10, £20 & £ 30. Each one has a common feature i.e. total rollover which basically means you can rollover unused data, minutes and texts into next month on your big value bundles, but there are terms and conditions attached to it. Since, I don’t know your exact scenario I will give you two examples how your unused data, unused minutes and text will be completely wiped off. If you apply for 2 or more big value bundles within a 30-day period you won’t be able to rollover any unused texts, data and minutes from your previous to a new bundle. Secondly, If the bundle automatically renews any unused data, text and minutes from your previous bundle will rollover to the next bundle but it will only be available for use during the next 30 days. Hope it will give you a clear picture why your £10 is not showing anymore.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Bundles last 30 days so your credit goes with them.
    True PAYG, most networks credit last for 180 days before expiring however if you make a chargeable event call, text, data near the end of that period the remaining credit will still remain. Vectone being the exception at 84 days.
    Apart from 3, or if the phone is not 3G, Asda Mobile and O2 Classic are probably the next cheapest for true PAYG.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Vodafone offers multiple big value bundle scheme 5, 10, 20 & 30. Each one has a common feature i.e. total rollover which basically means you can rollover unused data, minutes and texts into next month on your big value bundles, but there are terms and conditions attached to it. Since, I don’t know your exact scenario I will give you two examples how your unused data, unused minutes and text will be completely wiped off. If you apply for 2 or more big value bundles within a 30-day period you won’t be able to rollover any unused texts, data and minutes from your previous to a new bundle. Secondly, If the bundle automatically renews any unused data, text and minutes from your previous bundle will rollover to the next bundle but it will only be available for use during the next 30 days. Hope it will give you a clear picture why your 10 is not showing anymore.

Why are these prices in €?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Why are these prices in €?

The nearest currency symbol he has, could be setup wrongly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure