Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    winner3131 wrote: »
    Anyone else had the same Protect Claims email?

Yes, someone on the last page did. Must be legit then.
  • winner3131
    Options
    No, that was me. Can't seem to find any reports elsewhere of email like this.
  • bradders1983
    Options

A couple of people on the UK_CAA Twitter account have also enquired. Have you tried ringing the CAA? Press Option 3 and it goes through to someone.
  • Chris_Buckard
    Options
    Hi There,

Earlier this year my wife booked a package holiday direct with Monarch for May 2017 and paid by credit card. We booked this was as we believed that this would provide 'double bubble' protection (being aware that Monarch were in financial difficulties last year). However, this may have created us a problem, as we are currently in a situation where neither the CAA or my wife's card provider seem to be accepting liability. Both the MSE and the CAA sites advise that as we paid by credit card, we can not claim under ATOL, but should instead claim from the card provider, including our holiday booking details and the CAA letter stating they will not pay for credit card payment such bookings. My wife has called her card provider Nationwide and they will not even entertain a claim, insisting that she must claim through ATOL. This was also despite the fact that she referred to the MSE and CAA guidance and asked to submit a claim under S75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Currently, we can't verify anything with the CAA as they are not taking calls until 17th October, however as they have not sent us claim form yet, we suspect that we have been placed in 'credit card - no valid claim' cohort. Should, my wife return to Nationwide and insist they accept a claim, or otherwise lodge a complaint? Not very impressed at all.

Thank you
  • bradders1983
    Options
    Hi There,

Earlier this year my wife booked a package holiday direct with Monarch for May 2017 and paid by credit card. We booked this was as we believed that this would provide 'double bubble' protection (being aware that Monarch were in financial difficulties last year). However, this may have created us a problem, as we are currently in a situation where neither the CAA or my wife's card provider seem to be accepting liability. Both the MSE and the CAA sites advise that as we paid by credit card, we can not claim under ATOL, but should instead claim from the card provider, including our holiday booking details and the CAA letter stating they will not pay for credit card payment such bookings. My wife has called her card provider Nationwide and they will not even entertain a claim, insisting that she must claim through ATOL. This was also despite the fact that she referred to the MSE and CAA guidance and asked to submit a claim under S75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Currently, we can't verify anything with the CAA as they are not taking calls until 17th October, however as they have not sent us claim form yet, we suspect that we have been placed in 'credit card - no valid claim' cohort. Should, my wife return to Nationwide and insist they accept a claim, or otherwise lodge a complaint? Not very impressed at all.

Thank you

I asusme you have pointed Nationwide in the direction of the letter on this page?

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

(link to it is in the second blue box on that page)

Stand firm. Ask to speak to their Disputes team if you are getting nowhere, you cant be their only customer who is affected. It only took until the CAA published that letter for my credit card companies to back down.

As for not being able to get through to the CAA - you can if you press option 3 and wait until the end of the recorded message. But that link above will sort you out.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options

The CAA have appointed professional handlers to process Monarch Atol protected refunds, but whether Protect Claims are that company I don't know.
  • GGardner
    GGardner Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Further to my previous threads...

I have called PayPal and spoke to a lady called Kerry. I am used to dealing with rudeness and this was no exception. Everything I tried to say she just spoke over me and said it is over 180 days and they will not help. I asked if there were any other options open or if they'd consider a goodwill gesture and she said they categorically do not do that. Ever.

First Direct bank have said they have reviewed it and will not accept a chargeback claim. Is there anything else I can do??
  • PMilley
    Options
    Looking for a little guidance!

I booked flight only with Monarch back in June 2016, with ATOL Cover and booked with debit card,
    I cancelled this flight in February 2017 and I was issued with a Credit voucher,
    I used the credit voucher in June 2017 to book a flight in November2017.
    My question is will the ATOL from the original flight still count or if not will the debit card transaction still count?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    PMilley wrote: »
    Looking for a little guidance!

I booked flight only with Monarch back in June 2016, with ATOL Cover and booked with debit card,
    I cancelled this flight in February 2017 and I was issued with a Credit voucher,
    I used the credit voucher in June 2017 to book a flight in November2017.
    My question is will the ATOL from the original flight still count or if not will the debit card transaction still count?

When you booked in June flights weren't Atol protected. I'm not sure a chargeback would work either because you didn't use it to book the flight that has 'failed'. You'd need to speak to your card provider.
  • bowesles
    Options
    GGarner I've had the same response, first person I spoke to said categorically no way will they look at a claim greater than 180 days, got put through to Mark in Newcastle Claims&Disputes who said whilst they couldn't reactivate the dispute they would be looking at all purchases when they speak to Monarch's administrators.

So no hope there then !

Completely unreasonable that people who purchase something with a future delivery date are treated the same as someone would bought goods more than 6 months ago and now wants to dispute.

This needs to go as public as we can make it, PayPal shouldn't be able to wipe their hands and say speak to your bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure