Train fare rises

Can we do anything regarding trains fares going up every year. Next year I believe the fares will go up 3.5%. My service is not getting any better and as there is no competition I can’t see it getting any better anytime soon. My wages are not going up so I will have to cut back or look for a job closer to home. I told my mp and he said he gets the train every week and so the train service is an important issue for him. I email back saying as he gets a travel allowance it won’t affect him. I didn’t receive a reply.

Comments

• Exile_geordie
    Exile_geordie Posts: 5,094 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2018 at 3:21PM
    You can buy your season ticket before the rise on jan 1st(or whenever it is)

Or maybe see if splitting your season ticket between 2 stations works out cheaper
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Find an alternative. The only way is direct action. Passenger numbers are already falling, so sooner or later the govt/regulatory bodies etc will take note and do something, not just about pricing, but also about modernisation (of both trains and working practices), lengthening trains, providing better facilities (or any at all!) etc.

Up here in Northern land, the train service is now so poor (not so much pricing, but cancellations, ancient trains, short trains, etc) that more and more people have no choice but to use alternatives if they want to live a normal life, i.e. commute to work etc.
  • Buy a car and drive if you find the railways too expensive ;) . Cars don't get cancelled or have less seats some days. Modernisation is in your hands, if you feel your vehicle is too old you can just buy a new one, though mine is 18 years old and still going along fine so I'm keeping it.

By the way, the price of road fuel has increased by approx 12-14% in the last year (govt figures to mid-July), so you might not be escaping increasing costs.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pennywise wrote: »
    Find an alternative. The only way is direct action. Passenger numbers are already falling, so sooner or later the govt/regulatory bodies etc will take note and do something, not just about pricing, but also about modernisation (of both trains and working practices), lengthening trains, providing better facilities (or any at all!) etc.

Up here in Northern land, the train service is now so poor (not so much pricing, but cancellations, ancient trains, short trains, etc) that more and more people have no choice but to use alternatives if they want to live a normal life, i.e. commute to work etc.

..easy to say unless you commute in to central London every day,
  • Pennywise
    ..easy to say unless you commute in to central London every day,

At least the massive investment in new trains, new lines, etc in London means the frequency/number of trains means you're actually likely to get to work if a train is cancelled/delays. In other areas, like Northern, you could be waiting an hour or two before the next train or just dumped off your train if they decide to cancel it en-route!
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good news. It's only 3.2%!
  • Pennywise
    In poorer areas of the country, fares should be frozen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure