Future Finances: Time vs Money

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 August 2018 at 6:14PM
    Options
    I am in total agreement with this,

I am of the opinion that good professional advice and service is worth paying for. It can save you money, stress and heartache.

And in the grand scheme of things, wills are not expensive.

My sister managed to get her hands on the lions share of our parents estate, leaving me with a substantial shortfall. All because my father was too mean to pay for a new updated will after my mother had died. I guess he trusted my sister to do the honourable thing. She didn't. The solicitor said whilst it was grossly unfair there was nothing in law they could do to force her hand.
  • sukysue
    sukysue Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have listened to you and agree l will go to a solicitor and get it drawn up, thank you for making me think again and see sense .
    xXx-Sukysue-xXx
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    Suky Sue

I bought the will form from W H Smith initially thinking - oh just mirror wills, easy peasy. After researching DIY wills and dire warnings we did the "November" will via solicitors and I am glad we did. Another question is what if both of you die together? Who gets the estate then? DIY wills can also be overturned - it is best to go to a solicitor. They keep the will and the Deeds to the house FOC.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Making wills is something near the top of our list too!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know thinking about wills and POAS isn't exactly fun but honestly just do it. Once it's done it's done, you can relax then, forget about it and get on with your lives.....

Raining here, so good day to be sorting and packing, ready for moving. Surrounded by boxes and the house is a tip. So glad I'm managing to do this move in the summer, much easier than the depths of winter.

Onwards and upwards.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pouring here to LL, glad I loaded the car for the tip run last night. At least your sorting and packing is in on a rainy day- you wont be yearning to be outside!

Happy packing!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Another vote for getting wills done "properly". Though I'm single and childless - so I don't have to worry about anyone else's welfare - I still think it's worth it.

I had a will anyway - but changed it after moving here - and it cost me £100 if I remember aright. It's a very basic simple Will and other peoples might cost a bit more for being a bit more complicated - but I can't think it would be a vast amount.

In my case it was done not so much to look after peoples welfare (with that not being applicable) but to ensure the person that would probably count as my "next of kin" at the time doesnt get anything. That being my brother - we're on "polite" terms whilst my parents are still alive and I strongly suspect "that'll be the end of that" when my parents die (as I know what my brother is like - ie grabby etc).

So very necessary still to have one even in my circumstances imo - or I know him well enough to know he'd cheerfully take everything of mine, even if he'd already helped himself to as much as he could from my parents direction (which I already know he's after a lions share there:cool:).

I confess I shall be "sitting up on a cloud" after I'm dead and watching where my money is going with interest - ie how the charity it's been left to is spending it.
  • thriftytracey
    Options
    Simple Pleasure: Deep Clean of the kitchen which was well overdue, in fact ashamed to say first time! This involved, cleaning all cupboards, washing down the walls and removing all cobwebs and dust from ceiling, skirting boards, doors, tiles, removing (hands and knees) all pet hair from carpet that vacuum does not find, washing all crockery on welsh dresser and cleaning same etc etc. A joint effort too. Most satisfying and a real visual improvement. Repeat each room. This way when I retire next year (fingers crossed) new house. Next job: getting downstairs loo replastered and 2 walls one in hall and one in living room.

Not a simple pleasure: coming down this morning and finding that Molly has had a "tummy upset" in the night......
  • lindez
    lindez Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi SAR,
    just found your diary and have been reading all the comments, very useful information on here.
    I am semi-retired just work 3 days a week now since January. I still have a mortgage and things but at 59 and working full time for years I thought about time over money. Very little savings and things so I am just going to be a little frugal and stop spending on things I don't need.
    I completed a will and trust fund earlier this year wow looking at the prices on here that people have paid for wills I paid above and beyond that. Mine was £1200.00 pounds though like I said I have put mine into a trust fund with my two children. Not that there is much there it just I wanted to make sure my home went to them.
    I lost my husband 2 years ago and it was a second marriage for both of us. We had wills set up then and both of our wills anything we had went to our children respectively. So my late husbands estate went all to his daughter and nothing to me. And I would like to believe that if it had happen the other way around he would have respected my wishes as I did his. A lot of people thought we were mad for doing it the way we did, but he had a lot more than I did so I agreed.
    I have subscribed to the thread and look forward to reading. x
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sukysue wrote: »
    I have listened to you and agree l will go to a solicitor and get it drawn up, thank you for making me think again and see sense .
    but don't be the least embarrassed for phoning round to get quotes first!

Also I think any half-decent solicitor should also talk to you about Power of Attorney. You don't have to use the solicitor to get these set up, but getting one set up should definitely give peace of mind.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport