PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I like rag-rolling and paint effects generally - so shoot me:rotfl:

The only reason I've not done a bit of that in current home is the mere thought of getting workmen in again in this area (ie to paint over if I changed my mind) is quite enough to give me a fit of the vapours.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I like rag-rolling and paint effects generally - so shoot me:rotfl:

The only reason I've not done a bit of that in current home is the mere thought of getting workmen in again in this area (ie to paint over if I changed my mind) is quite enough to give me a fit of the vapours.
    I wouldn't shoot you for putting whatever effects you wanted on your walls, but the idea that someone able-bodied needs to pay 'workmen' - round our way we have a few female decorators! - to do simple emulsion painting is MSE madness.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I wouldn't shoot you for putting whatever effects you wanted on your walls, but the idea that someone able-bodied needs to pay 'workmen' - round our way we have a few female decorators! - to do simple emulsion painting is MSE madness.

I know my limitations Dave:rotfl:. I've done a paint effect on walls before now myself - but it's the thought of plain-painting walls (or, more to the point, painting ceilings and shifting heavy furniture around:eek:) that causes me to get out the chequebook/whatever and say "How much?"

Admission time - the penny has only just dropped that I never once saw my mother with a paintbrush in her hands (she always left that to my father).....whoops...
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I already hate laminate floors.

I can't stand laminate upstairs (installing it in flats is just plain antisocial) but think it's acceptable downstairs, in fact in the case of open plan layouts (something else I'm not keen on) I think they're better than the alternate option of carpeting the living area and tiling the kitchen area with an awkward looking dividing line between the two. I still maintain it will be regarded as horribly dated in years to come though.

Something else I really don't like which I think will die out is decking. It looks okay when you first put it down but looks terrible after it's experienced even one British winter.
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    I hold my hand up to the grey thing, we have a grey wall in the living room when grey accents and I have grey and copper wallpaper in the home office...with white floating shelves (they'll be another 'of the time' thing) But in my defence, I've always like grey, the vast majority of my wardrobe is grey so really I'm just extending that to the house.

Yes, I'm partial to a bit of grey too :)
    What about woodburners, of an era like the stone clad gas fires of the 70's and 80's?

Admission time, I quite like wood burners :embarasse

(((hangs head in shame and goes to stand in the corner)))
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 August 2018 at 1:05PM
    Options
    All laminate, or just bad laminate?
    I can't stand those wordy ornaments everywhere, esp the stickers on the wall (apologies to anyone who has them, I'm sure they are done very tastefully)
    I hold my hand up to the grey thing, we have a grey wall in the living room when grey accents and I have grey and copper wallpaper in the home office...with white floating shelves (they'll be another 'of the time' thing) But in my defence, I've always like grey, the vast majority of my wardrobe is grey so really I'm just extending that to the house.

What about woodburners, of an era like the stone clad gas fires of the 70's and 80's?

We're doing our family bathroom in our new (400 year old ;)) cottage grey - painted walls, not tiled - but in our defence we painted the hall of the Victorian house we owned from 1992-1997 dark grey and yellow. It was much harder to find grey paint back then so we had it specially mixed.

In our next house in about 1998 I hand painted a Latin phrase - that related to the space - in our hall. That was an Arts & Crafts Movement thing though and nothing to do with fashion/trends :o

We also rag-rolled and stencilled several rooms in our first home back in the late 1980s......

There are definitely decorating decisions we are making now that will probably be seen as very much of the time in thirty/forty years - although we're not fans of many of the current trends (gloss kitchens, lights in the kickboards, artificial grass/plants to name a few) and try to decorate classically these days. I can imagine our very dark blue hall and taxidermy butterfly collection appearing on a future version of this thread, lol!

Edited to add - We also recently had wood burners/ multi fuel stoves installed (no mains gas here in our part of rural s w Wales). I actually hated the one we had (installed by a previous owner) at our last but one (also rural) house, but realise now that was hopelessly inefficient!
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Admission time, I quite like wood burners :embarasse

(((hangs head in shame and goes to stand in the corner)))
    They're insane in any house that has access to mains gas or no cheap and easy wood supply. That's because the better manufacturers have gas models with none of the real fire down-sides, like copious amounts of dust and a need for large amounts of storage space.

We have one, and excellent it is too at heating on the cheap, but all other things being equal, we'd get rid tomorrow.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    Admission time - the penny has only just dropped that I never once saw my mother with a paintbrush in her hands (she always left that to my father).....whoops...
    I'm sure there were some, somewhere, but I never knew anyone's Mum who painted/did DIY etc back in the 50s and 60s.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    They're insane in any house that has access to mains gas or no cheap and easy wood supply. That's because the better manufacturers have gas models with none of the real fire down-sides, like copious amounts of dust and a need for large amounts of storage space.

Oh I agree, when you think about it logically they are pointless. I like them because I like the sight, sound and smell of burning wood, I actually find watching wood or coal fires quite relaxing.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Ocelot wrote: »
    If it is anaglypta along the lower part of the stairway, that is quite sought after and I wouldn't remove it personally.
    The anaglypta along the lower part of the wall is dull 70s squiggly lines, not period-style, so I very much doubt it'd be sought after. Gone now anyway!
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Some things we did in the mid 90s - rag rolling, wallpaper borders are dated
    I have ruled some things out as too much potential to date... I like that 'mixed up Moorish tile' look but it is *so* 'now' and will date horribly. Ditto industrial-style fillament bulbs and copper fittings - looks nice but will date fast.

Those wall stickers things are just cheap and tacky, though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure