Timeline for obtaining Grant of Probate

Here is the timeline for how long it took to obtain the grant, in my case.

18 June 2018 Sent off completed probate forms to London Probate Department, High Holborn

04 July 2018 Received oath and took it to a solicitor's office for swearing and signing

05 July 2018 Sent oath back to London Probate Department, High Holborn

13 July 2018 Received Grant of Probate

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Mine was similar, 2-3 weeks from delivery of forms to receiving oath, less than 2 weeks after swearing oath (done at the Winchester probate offices)
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    It also would be interesting to see how much the longer timelines are when there is more than one executor wishing to act.
  • Margot123 Just to add, there were 2 executors in my case (myself and my father).
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Here's mine (co-executor reserved):

21st May Probate application & IHT 400 etc posted to Birmingham Registry & HMRC

8th June phone call to HMRC confirmed IHT 421 (£0 IHT due) electronically to Birmingham 6th June

15th June, I persuaded Birmingham to email me the oath but then couldn't get appointment with solicitor until 2 July (I was away then solicitor was away:o)

2 July Oath sworn & posted to Birmingham

13 July Grant of Probate received
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    22nd June started onine process for IHT and Probate submissions. 2 executors' details submitted, 2 others notified as holding reserved rights, no IHT due.

30th June posted signed copies of will and death cert.

12th July received Grant of Representation.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure of the exact dates but it was six weeks between filling in the online form and receiving the grant. I went to Bristol probate office. As long as the estate is not complicated and you have a reasonable level of education it really is a lot easier than people imagine.
  • Margot123
    Is the oath now done online?
    I had heard this was being mooted, and would save a considerable amount of time.
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 July 2018 at 10:16AM
    Both myself and brother were named executors on a family member's will. Brother took on all probate work and sorting through any paperwork. Myself and husband took on a lot of clearing the house and all necessary repairs prior to selling.

Probate took just over 4 weeks around 3 years ago.
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Margot123 wrote: »
    Is the oath now done online?
    I had heard this was being mooted, and would save a considerable amount of time.

Looks like they are starting this as part of a fully online service.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/personal-applicants-can-now-apply-for-probate-online

Sounds like you initially have to talk it through with the helpline to be allowed to do it
  • Margot123
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    Looks like they are starting this as part of a fully online service.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/personal-applicants-can-now-apply-for-probate-online

Sounds like you initially have to talk it through with the helpline to be allowed to do it

It's a good idea as sometimes just getting the appointment to swear the oath can take weeks. I recall, on one occasion, it took me nearly 3 weeks as the only local 'commissioner of oaths' was on his summer holidays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure