PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is something wrong with this house..?

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    The trouble/good thing is I'm not moving to be near family or start a new job or whatever, I'm just moving for a fresh start. It makes for a very wide search area! I'm open to suggestions/discouragements.

Good tips on Leek and Cheadle though, thanks todayisagreatday :)
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • No worries. I think it all depends on your budget (I mean is it £100k or £120k) and exactly how you see the house, is it a long term house, one you want to sell in a few years, perhaps make a bit of £ on, do you mind renovation work? Make a list of things you definitely want, eg off road parking, a garden and those you can compromise on.

Leek is more of a small town, more independent shops, black and white buildings, antique shops bordering the Roaches and Peak District. Cheadle is definitely more of a village feel but can get very busy, it use to get manic with people heading to Alton Towers cutting through. There isn't much in Cheadle to be honest in the way of shops or things to do.

Derby is definitely more of a city. It's got a train station and bigger chain stores like Primark. When I lived in Blythe Bridge/Caverswall I'd get the train to Derby.

I prefer the other house you posted as it has parking and I think you'll always be better selling on a house that has parking. It's ex council but you will probably find rooms bigger and I'd definitely view it though, along with the one in Leek I posted a link to (which was £20k cheaper).

I do like Leek, and my sister misses her old house. Going from one where she had solid walls, three huge rooms to a new build (plaugued with problems) to smaller rooms, studded walls and a tiny garden - double the price it makes you realise as first time buyer homes you can get a good buy.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    bhjm wrote: »
    not sure whats wrong with rightmove or if someone is adding and deleting this ad
    but
    "Agents Note
    None of these services, built in appliances, or where applicable, central heating systems have been tested by the Agents and we are unable to comment on their serviceability."
    would mean to me - you have to invest into a new central heating

Thats is standard boilerplate text You are reading far too much into it.
  • Well - it's small, cramped and outdated. The front door opens directly into the lounge. There's no parking. Kitchen is awful, bathroom is spartan. The garden is a mess and looks neglected.

However, if you are ok with these things and the house, because of these things, is all you can afford in the area you want to buy, then there's no reason you shouldn't buy it as long as you pay the right price.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Is there a link to the house the OP is referring to that actually works?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The "no onward chain" plus dated kitchen & bathroom suggest it's a probate sale which may be dragging on - it was possible that it was put on the market before probate was granted, and any offers it received pulled out as it was uncertain when the sale would complete. Alternatively, the beneficiaries can't agree on a price to accept and buyers pull out. With each withdrawal, interest diminishes so the asking price needs to be reduced. In terms of viewing, if there isn't any real damp problems, the fact it's unoccupied (especially over a winter) means it'll smell musty and damp, which may scare people off. It's empty, so people can't visualise living there, plus what fixtures are there are dated, so the cost and hassle of replacing them may also scare people off, especially FTBs.

Dunno how busy the road it's on actually is, but it is an A Road, and parking doesn't look great - cars on the pavement etc. Unless you're a gardener, the 2 gardens thing is probably more of a hassle than a feature and there's no way you'll remove the right of way to unite them.

So in summary, I don't think there's too much "wrong" with the house, but there aren't many people who want to buy it.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hutch100uk wrote: »
    The garden set up is bizarre and I suspect this might be why its not selling.

It's not that uncommon a layout for late 19th/early 20th century terraces, we spotted a few like that when househunting last year.
    pimento wrote: »
    Is there a link to the house the OP is referring to that actually works?

The one in the OP works fine for me.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    If houses in your area on your budget are of a similar era/type you should be able to get a feel for the average price for a mid-terrace 2 bed with on-street parking.

I would see the garden as an interesting challenge; would be great to have a separate fruit/veg plot and do some creative planting near the house. The kitchen would need replacing eventually but is functional; many people in rental properties live with fixtures like that!

So the lack of interest suggests something major and structural. If you like it enough to buy with problems, you are going to have to do serious homework on quotes for work, and factor in the time and hassle as well as the cost when making an offer.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    I found it by doing detective work in the thread. The link still doesn't work for me. I wonder if that's why it hasn't sold..
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    pimento wrote: »
    I found it by doing detective work in the thread. The link still doesn't work for me. I wonder if that's why it hasn't sold..

Same. For anyone else who the link isn't working for, the details are here:
    http://www.vebra.com/details/property/27047755

No floorplan would put some people off. Is the bathroom on the ground floor?

Major points I think would put majority off would be no parking, door leads straight into lounge, whole house needs re-decorating.

What is the ceiling price for houses in this area? Maybe if all that came to a lot of money people aren't willing to pay it because if they choose to resell in future, there would be no equity and may have to sell for less than they paid.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure