PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Is something wrong with this house..?

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    I've just clicked that link and it's gone. Have you all looked at once and it's crashed? :P

Yeah I was thinking allotment :)

I don't mind the ROW - I'm hoping it's where you put your bins out cos I dislike bins in a front garden.

Most of my biggest preferences have been ticked, and there's none of my big no-nos. I'd like a period mid-terrace in a nice market town, in staffs or Derbyshire. No MAJOR issues in the house (flat roof, flood plain, bathroom off a bedroom, stairs in the lounge etc). It does have a few compromises - the 2nd bedroom looks like a funny skinny wee thing, but I'm a single person so there'll be no-one regularly sleeping in it. It's not across from a school. There's no big "ABSOLUTELY NO PARKING HERE!!!" type signs. There's no shared access/funny ginnel nonsense.

I'd rather it was in Ashbourne or Leek but if it was I doubt I could afford it. My budget is fixed - I can't get a mortgage cos I was Dad's carer for years so now I'm completely uncreditworthy.

Going by the old saying "House, location, price. Pick 2" I'd say it's 2.5/3 :)
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    edited 8 May 2018 at 10:35PM
    I didn't notice the sag, thanks Cakeguts. Now that I'm focused on damp, is it my eyes or are there damp patches/stains/discolouration on the bottom left of pics 2 + 9...?

Edit: A road, good spot. Looking at it on streetview, there's cars parked up on the pavement at the front but it's not a dropped curb.
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I didn't notice the sag, thanks Cakeguts. Now that I'm focused on damp, is it my eyes or are there damp patches/stains/discolouration on the bottom left of pics 2 + 9...?

Edit: A road, good spot. Looking at it on streetview, there's cars parked up on the pavement at the front but it's not a dropped curb.

The link has crashed but I did notice damp patches at the bottom of the walls in some of the rooms.

If you get onto streetview and get in close on the roof at the front you can see a line in the tiles between this house and next door where the roof has sagged and the tiles in the line are now higher than the ones next to it. I looked at the roof at the front to get an idea of what might have caused the leak in the bathroom because I suspected that there might be a hole in the roof. It is on an A road there are white lines down the middle so it could be quite busy.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    edited 8 May 2018 at 10:52PM
    Yeah I can see it. What kinda money would that be to sort out? Would it be a new roof?

Edit: I think the bathroom is at the back, so is that 2 bits of problems or a whole new roof entirely?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 May 2018 at 10:54PM
    bhjm wrote: »
    not sure whats wrong with rightmove or if someone is adding and deleting this ad
    but
    "Agents Note
    None of these services, built in appliances, or where applicable, central heating systems have been tested by the Agents and we are unable to comment on their serviceability."
    would mean to me - you have to invest into a new central heating
    It would mean fairly standard ar5e-covering to me. You'd want to test stuff yourself anyway.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53382375.html This one is shared ownership and sold but you never know another one might come up. There is a grade 2 listed 1 bed cottage in Ashbourne but it is on a very busy main road with no parking.

Try looking in Leek there are terraced houses there.
  • I know both areas well and my sister lived in Leek for years. As a first time buyer she bought on the council estate in Leek, not far from this one.

If you don't mind ex council my sister had a house like this and renovated it up, surprisingly quiet area with no trouble (she moved to a new housing estate and has had more trouble there from social housing tenants)!

This is a three bed and does need some work, kitchen m, bathroom but they mention a Valient boiler which are really good so at least you know that doesn't need replacing and there is off road parking too. Granted the kitchen needs some work but you could get rid of an internal wall potentially.

OIRO so you could get it under £100k http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71694674.html
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Thanks for the suggestions :)
    I haven't seen anything in Leek or Ashbourne that I like as much as this one. I'll maybe have to revise my no-no list.
  • Thanks for the suggestions :)
    I haven't seen anything in Leek or Ashbourne that I like as much as this one. I'll maybe have to revise my no-no list.

Definitely. Personally I'd choose Leek over Cheadle (I can't comment on Ashbourne though I think it's pricey). Leek is great for the Peak District, has a bigger town with more choice, but not to far from Macclesfield, Stoke etc and public transport links. Go and view a few and at different times. I'd definitely choose somwhere with off road parking if your budget allows. Cheadle can get very busy with lorries and they drive fast!
  • YoungBlueEyes
    edited 8 May 2018 at 11:52PM
    I'd prefer Leek or Ashbourne to Cheadle tbh, but my budget disagrees!

I saw a really lovely house in Burton on Trent. If you could put that in Ashbourne or Leek I'd be a happy gal. But if it was in either of those towns they could just write 0's til their arm fell off as an asking price ha haa!

Lemme see if I can find a link, cos it's just about perfect as an example of what I'm after.

Edit: it's gone :( It was on Forest Road, on for £122,950. There is this one though, not as nice but looks alright -
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64729726.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure