Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Comments

• Mynxmox
    Mynxmox Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm travelling to Barbados for 10 days in June. What is the best way to take money as I'm not sure of cash machines and facilities in Barbados. Thanks
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mynxmox wrote: »
    I'm travelling to Barbados for 10 days in June. What is the best way to take money as I'm not sure of cash machines and facilities in Barbados. Thanks
    Barbados has plenty of ATMs in which to use your suitable cards for travel, or you can change your pounds in any bank at the controlled rate which will be better than buying in the UK. The Barbadian dollar is pegged to the US dollar (2:1) which is also widely accepted for payment.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Sylvieh
    Sylvieh Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi,

I am looking for advice for my 20year old daughter who has got a kids rep job with TUI group for the summer season. She holds a debit card and a credit card (for emergencies) but I am wondering as she will be paid by TUI group into her uk bank account, whether she is better off having a prepaid card and then transferring her wages from her current account to the prepaid card to use whilst working abroad. I have heard of a card called Revolut which claims to have no charges for drawing cash or paying for goods using it. Is it a good idea, is Revolut easy to use? Help and advice please
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sylvieh wrote: »
    I am looking for advice for my 20year old daughter who has got a kids rep job with TUI group for the summer season.
    Where will she be working?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Mynxmox wrote: »

Perhaps someone can check via the Revolut app as to what rate is being offered for the BD$. If it's on the money, go for it now in so that you receive it in time.
    Better still, if you don't have problems with credit, go for a Creation Everyday CC.

Use only The Blue Machine | Republic Bank ATMs, or you'll be unhappy. :) There is one at the airport.

https://www.republicbarbados.com/personal/blue-machine
  • manulike
    manulike Posts: 71 Forumite
    I have just found the Asda Currency Card. It offers free ATM withdrawals, a free card (if you go in-store), free additional card, and free cash-out also if you go in-store. Does anybody have any experience or comments on this one??
    Forget about it. Stick with Supercard and Revolut (for Prepaid).

NiftyDigits,
    I really respect your opinion and appreciate your dedicated work on this Forum. Could you please expand on why you feel that this new Asda product - not their original passport - is not good?
    http://money.asda.com/travel-money/asda-money-currency-card/

The nearest Metro Bank to me is over 100 miles away and I have a Blackberry that can not use Revoult Apps etc.
    Currently, i have applied for the FairFx Travelcard - but this does charge a €1.50 ATM withdrawals fee
  • Hi,

My first post, so please be gentle!

I'm going to France and want a pre-paid travel card for fuel and motorway toll purchases and wondered if anyone had any feedback on the FairFX card?
    I read that some prepaid travel cards have not worked at petrol stations or autoroute toll booths. Is this one of them?
    Has anyone used their FairFX in France and if so, any issues?
    Hopefully the strikes and fuel blockages will be over by the time we depart!
    Thanks
  • HowardH
    HowardH Posts: 1 Newbie
    Last year purchased a Travelex Euro Card which was straightforward. However, this year they revamped their website meaning you have to re-register your card, a process that took over 30 minutes and call to their support line.

Whilst the new website is OK they have taken away a fundamental service - you can no longer reload your card online. From what I can see reloads not done online carry a charge !!!

Having wasted another 30 minutes today attempting to logon, doesn't recognise my details, a call to help line didn't get me any further - OK give up refund the small balance of 7 Euros - response from the help line "You need to do that using ATM otherwise there is a charge" - not sure how you get 7 Euro's out of an ATM?

Can anyone recommend a Card that it easy to access and upload on line, because my experience with Travelex is not good.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for your report on the Travelex card going from bad to worse. If you have Android or iPhone you can use Revolut, Much better value and you can top-up instantly any time with your phone.

https://revolut.com
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Casciana
    Casciana Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have now arranged a bank transfer from my Euro account at Barclays onto my Revolut card. Barclays charge a minimum of £15.00 for this as it is classed as a foreign currency.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback