Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Dandytf, it may be better to repost your questions. Not all of the pension experts read through this thread, so you may get a better response from a thread of your own.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 November 2018 at 7:05PM
    bugslet wrote: »
    Dandytf, it may be better to repost your questions. Not all of the pension experts read through this thread, so you may get a better response from a thread of your own.

I'm I not eligible for early retirement as I thought this was correct thread.
    If you could please explainn why I am required rto start a new thread.
    I had answetions from @marinf_Life earlier post
    Thanks

Edited -new thread posted -Retire in. Years -possible.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think it was suggested that yiu start your own thread just to get it noticed and not lost in this one.
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • bugslet wrote: »
    Ahem, apart from me:p, my staff keep telling me it's the best place they've ever worked at. I'm basically a human Labrador, complete with propensity to eat anything!

I have a few female friends that complain about their husbands sitting at home doing nothing in terms of finding interests. It's quite sad for both parties. One of the husbands is 72 and works because he doesn't know what else to do with himself.

I think this is really sad, to spend so much of your life as a worker drone and to not have things you want to do when retired. You sometimes see it with people who win the lottery but carry on working even in a menial job. It makes me wonder if a lot of people simply lack imagination.
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2018 at 8:28AM
    What a strange response. Not sure what you are getting at here, sounds like a weird dig for some reason.

I was just trying to share how our attitudes have changed since retiring. We are dog lovers and had assumed we would get another (smaller) dog to replace our current one when she died. One that could easily jump in the back of our classic car. However, since retiring we have realised two things. First, we like touring around in the car more than we anticipated. It's something we both enjoy, so we will probably do more than we had originally planned. Second, we felt that even a small dog would be limiting in terms of booking accommodation and flexibility of travel. So we have decided having a dog would restrict our flexibility. Can't see why you think that is odd, I was just sharing that attitudes can change once you retire.

We do still have a cat and we always will do. But they are easier to leave than dogs. Unless of course you propose we take the cat with us....? (my parents did actually have a friend who took his Siamese out with him to visit people....)

We have a 17 year old dachshund who is the last remaining member of a family of dachshunds, (mother and two sons) we rescued from Battersea. The mother lived until she was 20 and the other son died a few months ago aged 18. Needless to say we simply haven't been able to travel for the last couple of years due to our caring responsibilities. You simply couldn't enjoy a holiday while leaving a geriatric blind dachshund with someone else. We also now have a 12 month chocolate poodle, who is smarter than most people I know:), also from Battersea.
    We love travelling so when the last of the family passes, we have a dog walking friend who'll care for the poodle while we're away. It'll be a reciprocal arrangement.
    Incidentally dog fostering for holiday makers is a nice little earner locally. We know a few retired couples doing it who charge about £30 - 40 a night.
  • bugslet
    Dandytf wrote: »
    I'm I not eligible for early retirement as I thought this was correct thread.
    If you could please explainn why I am required rto start a new thread.
    I had answetions from @marinf_Life earlier post
    Thanks

Edited -new thread posted -Retire in. Years -possible.

You aren't required to start a new thread. Do or do not, I was merely noting that this thread sometimes moves on and you may get more responses with a thread of your own.

Sometimes people are just trying to be helpful.
    Moby wrote: »
    We have a 17 year old dachshund who is the last remaining member of a family of dachshunds, (mother and two sons) we rescued from Battersea. The mother lived until she was 20 and the other son died a few months ago aged 18. Needless to say we simply haven't been able to travel for the last couple of years due to our caring responsibilities. You simply couldn't enjoy a holiday while leaving a geriatric blind dachshund with someone else. We also now have a 12 month chocolate poodle, who is smarter than most people I know:), also from Battersea.
    We love travelling so when the last of the family passes, we have a dog walking friend who'll care for the poodle while we're away. It'll be a reciprocal arrangement.
    Incidentally dog fostering for holiday makers is a nice little earner locally. We know a few retired couples doing it who charge about £30 - 40 a night.

I think poodles are great dogs and certainly smart - aren't they in the top ten intelligent breeds.

A retired friend of mine works from time to time as a house sitter, though for an agency. It's flexible enough for her, she won't do more than one week usually, or more than a 50 mile radius and she really enjoys it.

I think poodles are great dogs and certainly smart - aren't they in the top ten intelligent breeds.

Yes, smart, extremely loyal, and they don't moult
    :)
    You aren't required to start a new thread. Do or do not, I was merely noting that this thread sometimes moves on and you may get more responses with a thread of your own.

Sometimes people are just trying to be helpful.

A retired friend of mine works from time to time as a house sitter, though for an agency. It's flexible enough for her, she won't do more than one week usually, or more than a 50 mile radius and she really enjoys it.

I looked into this to supplement future retirement but you only get £10 a day or something. I wonder what the agency charges? I guess you could start up a business yourself presumably only need to get Criminal Record checks and various insurances.
  • bugslet
    I forget what my friend gets thrifty, but I know it isn't much. She doesn't really need the extra pin money that it brings in, but she does enjoy visiting new places and she saves a bit on utilities by not being there.

it's not something you could make a living out of. She does have a few clients that come to her direct.
    I forget what my friend gets thrifty, but I know it isn't much. She doesn't really need the extra pin money that it brings in, but she does enjoy visiting new places and she saves a bit on utilities by not being there.

it's not something you could make a living out of. She does have a few clients that come to her direct.

I guess you get to stay in some lovely locations/houses. However we have 2 dogs and I don't suppose they would like that! Even if we were looking after their dogs ....

Dogs are definitely a big commitment as posted earlier. But they give you so much pleasure I could not be without them.

It would help if this country was more dog friendly, like France is. Most of the chateaux we visited allowed dogs in their gardens and in the chateaux if they were carried (obviously not something to you could do with an Alsatian), but ours are small and smallish respectively. Many shops allow them and all bars and restaurants we visited also allow them. Churches too, if they are carried.

Any day trip/visit in the UK involves the question "what about the dogs". e.g. I fancied visiting Black Country Museum - dogs not allowed. You can't leave them in the car for more than an hour - it is not fair on them.

Rant over
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure