PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Hot Tub location

Comments

• I have the same problem except my neighbours have installed a large jacuzzi on the other side of the border fence 3 foot from our lounge and under the bedroom windows. They insist on sitting in it from 8pm til late and the noise can be heard in our house with windows closed. The council have told them they must restrict the use after 1100pm. Hotels close hot tubs at 800pm. There should be a law about location regarding these “portable” machines before one is installed next to you! They are completely anti social for your neighbours. We have tried to discuss this with our neighbours but they are not interested. Any new advice would be appreciated.
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Turn a garden sprinkler on just by the fence, am oscillating type that keeps on spraying just a few annoying droplets over the fence - claim your cultivating some prize flowers and they need regular watering
  • somm
    somm Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hey
    I think am late, but I want to share my advice. Just talk to them! most of our problems are not big deal as we think. a talk could solve it.
  • joeypesci
    joeypesci Posts: 671 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    dares_uk wrote: »
    Hot Tubs are cool, very relaxing and we spend a lot of time in the summer outside in ours.
    We do how ever ensure we turn the bubbles off after 10pm.
    They are not that expensive to run either in our experience.

*I suggest you either talk to them, make them aware of the noise it makes.
    *ignore it and just put up with the odd 1/2 hour of noise.
    *grow some high bushes/hedge to block their sun / or block the noise for your self.

We think we are good neighbours, although the tub does make noise, we also put up with the neighbours dogs barking, and grandkids screaming when they come round.
    So a little give and take is best, but have a chat.

I hope you are using it in the winter too. They are the BEST in the winter. The best part is setting it to 40. Standing by the tub for a minute in the freezing cold then getting in. The feeling is amazing, like a cold bed dance :)

Obviously at 40c you shouldn't stay in long.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hot tubs seem to be a bit of a fad, but they're not cheap to maintain properly and I bet the novelty of sitting in a communal bath in your back garden in full view of the neighbours will wear off quickly enough.

I have a feeling that this won't be an issue next summer. ;)

We've been enjoying ours for 3 or maybe even 4 years now. We still really enjoy going for a dip of an evening. Its a little pricey to run (though economy 7 certainly helps, but the chemical routine really isn't that bad. We quickly lost interest in the bubbles, though, and putting the pump on a foam cushion reduces the hum, so hopefully we're not causing the neighbours any problems.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Moses2 wrote: »
    Any new advice would be appreciated.
    The nuclear option is to grow a good amount of comfrey, ostensibly to provide tomato fertilizer for your garden.

Next, buy a tightly-lidded water butt and position it on the opposite side of the fence or wall from where noise usually emanates.

Harvest your comfrey leaves, place them in the butt and top up with water. Leave for a few weeks and mother nature will do the rest.

Then, when anti-social noise happens at unsuitable hours, simply remove the lid of the butt, give the mix inside a stir and retire immediately to a safe distance. The stink of the stuff is worse than the toilets on Day 4 at Glasto.

This worked for me on a couple of occasions with neighbours who partied late on warm evenings, drinking wine, laughing and shouting, keeping my kids awake. They always assumed it was their drains.

What's more, you'll get great tomatoes and never need to buy any more Tomorite. Very MSE. :)
  • I know this is a relatively old post but my experience has been horrendous . I have lived next to a Lazy Spa that my neighbours have ( late 20!!!8217;s). We have very small gardens . They have had their spa for 3 years and switch it on April to October continuously . The problem is the low level hum that gets progressively worse as they do not clean/ maintain the filter . In fact they barely used it and during the summer the hum penetrated every room in my house - all night and severely impacted our sleep . Visitors to our house wondered how we coped . After 3 spoilt summers and pool parties till 1am at times we finally asked the environemtal health and showed them 100s of recordings . They sent a letter out straightaway . My neighbour promptly went to the online newspapers and accused me of a hate crime against her disabled son . He used the pool possibly twice on his birthday - the rest of the time the pool was the colour of urine and I would not have bathed my dog in it let alone a child . Added to that during last summer they went in the pool 4 times and each time jumped out saying it was freezing . But for a whole six months I had to listen to the pump chugging and vibrating like an electric sub station as their pool is placed on a wood decking . My health has badly suffered and I became ill with cancer due to the extreme stress . As I write now I can confirm that the neighbour on the other side has purchased a lazy spa last week . This is now classed as a low level noise disturbance . I am trapped between two pools and have been verbally attacked by my neighbours who feel I am !!!8220;getting at!!!8221; my neighbour who has a disabled child . This is not the case at all and it has been deliberately used to make me look like a terrible person . My advice is be careful should you complain to the council . Sometimes the fallout is far worse than the original problem .
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Valegirl wrote: »
    I know this is a relatively old post but my experience has been horrendous . I have lived next to a Lazy Spa that my neighbours have ( late 20!!!8217;s). We have very small gardens . They have had their spa for 3 years and switch it on April to October continuously . The problem is the low level hum that gets progressively worse as they do not clean/ maintain the filter . In fact they barely used it and during the summer the hum penetrated every room in my house - all night and severely impacted our sleep . Visitors to our house wondered how we coped . After 3 spoilt summers and pool parties till 1am at times we finally asked the environemtal health and showed them 100s of recordings . They sent a letter out straightaway . My neighbour promptly went to the online newspapers and accused me of a hate crime against her disabled son . He used the pool possibly twice on his birthday - the rest of the time the pool was the colour of urine and I would not have bathed my dog in it let alone a child . Added to that during last summer they went in the pool 4 times and each time jumped out saying it was freezing . But for a whole six months I had to listen to the pump chugging and vibrating like an electric sub station as their pool is placed on a wood decking . My health has badly suffered and I became ill with cancer due to the extreme stress . As I write now I can confirm that the neighbour on the other side has purchased a lazy spa last week . This is now classed as a low level noise disturbance . I am trapped between two pools and have been verbally attacked by my neighbours who feel I am !!!8220;getting at!!!8221; my neighbour who has a disabled child . This is not the case at all and it has been deliberately used to make me look like a terrible person . My advice is be careful should you complain to the council . Sometimes the fallout is far worse than the original problem .

Why have the Council not followed up their letter.
  • I wish I had seen this post last year. We took our neighbours to court last year over the noise emitted by their tub. It woke us every half an hour. Environmental health noted the noise from their readings but because it didn't beat the decibel threshold they could not help . They did however say that the frequency level was one which could annoyed. They suggested a private court summons. In the midst of court proceedings the neighbours erected a wooden gazebo around the tub and the sound diminished somewhat. We ended the court proceedings.
    However again this summer the noise is becoming more evident and we think the neighbours have now gone against the environmental health's recommendation of switching it off between 11pm and 7am. I agree with one of the previous comments, the fallout has been awful. But isn't it sad that despite us trying our very best to talk to the neighbours in the first instance they remained selfish to the core. Not everyone considers neighbours !!!314;ike perhaps good decent people do. Needless to say I certainly do not love thy neighbour, despise more like, hard to understand how some people are so self obsessed and fine if they are ok.
    Hot tub regulation laws are needed as they still seem to be popular status symbols for egotistical 'bleeps'.
  • I love hot tubs, my neighbour has one and when she goes away we maintain it for her and use it. However if I had one and a neighbour was suffering it would take away the enjoyment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure