New job and JSA

I'm about to start a part time job at 15 per week at £7.20 which works out at £435 a month . Now I receive HS and CTB plus £140 JSA per fortnight. My question is will my JSA be reduced or will I be allowed to keep it all thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Are you still seeking work and spending the required time doing so
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    you will lose all JSA as your income will reduce it £ for £ ( after a small disregard. £5 for a single person rising to £20 for a single parent)
    but you will continue to receive NI credits.

housing benefit is based on household income so your entitlement will remain but earnings taken into consideration
  • beth222
    beth222 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Surely I wouldn't lose all of my £140 per fortnight I receive in JSA as that would only give me the £432 and that is paid monthly. I may aswell stay on JSA as I'm not going to be any better off having to go a whole month waiting on a wage.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    beth222 wrote: »
    Surely I wouldn't lose all of my £140 per fortnight I receive in JSA as that would only give me the £432 and that is paid monthly. I may aswell stay on JSA as I'm not going to be any better off having to go a whole month waiting on a wage.

JSA is roughly £292 every 4 weeks, which is considerably less than £432.

if you refuse a job offer without good reason, your JSA will be sanctioned
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    It's £468 per month, £432 every 4 weeks.
  • beth222
    I still find it a very small wage without the help of the JSA payment as well and that is why I thought if I worked 15 hours I would be entitled to both.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP - JSA is £73.10 per week and Work is £108 per week. You will lose the whole JSA. HB is calculated on your new earnings.

NB - if you are over 25 years.
  • beth222
    I understand that and what you're saying but I still think its unfair to remove the whole of the JSA. especially when my wage is the 31st of every month. it means I wouldn't have any money each week until I got paid that wage.
  • beth222
    In fact a girl I work with is allowed to keep her JSA even though shes working at same place as me and her adviser told her that the wage of £108 per week wouldn't affect her JSA payment as she only 15 hours.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Only Universal Credit claimants will keep some of their earnings from being an employee or being self-employed.

JSA claimants cannot.

Check with your JCP if you can voluntarily move to UC. Indeed closing a JSA claim and then claiming UC may also be an option if they refuse. Although usually this wouldn't be advantageous to most claimants - it may be in you case.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure