Self Employed and going to the dogs

Options
Hi, My husband has been self employed for over 20 years but for the past couple of years work has dropped dramatically.
Last year he only earned £900 profit for the whole of the year.
We never claimed benefits until then when we were awarded working tax credit of £83 a week and housing and council tax benefit.
After bills we currently have £38 to live on and I am worried about heating costs in the winter,as they are going up £40 a month and we have very little work coming in.
Do you know if we will be able to claim anything to help with the winter bills.
Many Thanks

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He could quit work completely (using the reason not ecomically viable to continue-to avoid being sanctioned) and get income based job seekers allowance which would be £111.45 per week for a couple. You would continue to get your housing and council tax benefit but would lose the £900 profit per year and any fringe benefits that the self employed business provides you such as a contribution towards your household bills as a business expense.

Or you could look for work yourself if you have the ability to work.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Options
    sue311 wrote: »
    Hi, My husband has been self employed for over 20 years but for the past couple of years work has dropped dramatically.
    Last year he only earned £900 profit for the whole of the year.
    We never claimed benefits until then when we were awarded working tax credit of £83 a week and housing and council tax benefit.
    After bills we currently have £38 to live on and I am worried about heating costs in the winter,as they are going up £40 a month and we have very little work coming in.
    Do you know if we will be able to claim anything to help with the winter bills.
    Many Thanks

Hi Sue - there's information on what is available to claim, on our Adviceguide website. As you may already know, what you can claim is often dependent on your circumstances. We'd recommend contacting your local bureau and talking to an adviser to see what your options might be.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure