Can I own a field and claim HB?

We are a family of five who rent a smallholding privately but the rent is high. We have quite a few animals.

My uncle lent us some money for a deposit but wecan't get a mortgage as we are both on low incomes and self employed. The money is sitting in a low interest account as we can never decide what to do. It is below the £16000 limit. I want to buy just a couple of acres with this money.

Is that possible or will it mean we will no longer be able to claim HB?

All advice and info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Im thinking out of the box here but here's a mad idea, why not pay the cash back to your Uncle?
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • OK! Please help me understand.

You decide to live a lifestyle with quite a few animals. You then want to buy a couple of acres to keep the animals? That's is absolutely fine and I hope that your plans come to fruition.

But then you want to claim housing benefit, so that then me as a tax payer is supporting your animals and land ownership? Does that seem fair, to you?

How about living within your means? If you cannot earn enough money to live your lifestyle, then cut your cloth accordingly. It's what I do. Why are you any different?
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • We are a family of five who rent a smallholding privately but the rent is high. We have quite a few animals.......

If money is so tight that you are claiming housing benefit, why not stop renting the field (where the rent is high) and sell the animals?

.......My uncle lent us some money for a deposit but wecan't get a mortgage as we are both on low incomes and self employed. The money is sitting in a low interest account as we can never decide what to do. It is below the £16000 limit. I want to buy just a couple of acres with this money........

So, your uncle lent you money for a deposit on a house, but you want to buy a field with it? I wonder what your uncle will think when you use his money to buy a field? Please remember that you used the word 'lent' in reference to the money that your uncle gave to you. Use it for what it was intended for or return it.

Get your priorities right. Get a place to live before you start thinking about buying fields for your animals.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Previous replies seem to assume that these animals are pets, or just expensive indulgencies.
    Is it a real smallholding, and are these animals part of it? goats, sheep, cow, chickens?

If that is the case then surely the OP's position is just like any other person on low pay, entitled to certain benefits to supplement income?
    If using the money to buy land would result in increased output from the smallholding, then wouldn't that additional income reduce the person's dependence on benefits, and so be laudable?

It would be a bit like someone being given money to buy a car, and so being able to get a better job?
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Hello Rosie Cornish

You can claim housing benefit on your property if it is your sole residence http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

If your field has a dwelling on it that you live in then you may be entitled to some benefit and you can check by following this link http://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure