Problem guests in UK budget hotels

Has anyone else experienced this type of antisocial behaviour in UK budget hotels?

I've lived out of lower-price hotels for the past four months while finishing a work contract, typically staying in a hotel for a week at a time and moving with the best prices.

Something weird quickly became apparent: in almost every case, there would be a problematic guest staying in a room above, below or to the side who would begin knocking, banging, door-slamming within about 15 minutes' of moving into the room.

Typing on the laptop appears to be a particular trigger, though just normal moving around can also be enough to start them off. As I type this, there is a guy upstairs banging on the floor and deliberately clattering around on the table top. It is definitely not just general noise and movement.

(Perhaps this would be a good point to state that I do not have any kind of paranoia, delusions, psychosis, etc!)

I've regularly requested a change of room when it's got too much, and very often then have exactly the same thing happen in the next room.

Anyway after four months of this across half a dozen hotels, some common traits have led me to think these are probably people with behaviour issues being housed in hotels by local authorities.

Whatever view you might take on this, it seems wrong that customers are being subjected to this. Given the number of times I've come across this, there must be a very high number of people being put up by the Local Authorities in this way.

So I'd be interested to know whether other hotel users have come across this or not, as it might be just a local issue in this region.

Comments

• K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Anyway after four months of this across half a dozen hotels, some common traits have led me to think these are probably people with behaviour issues being housed in hotels by local authorities.

Whatever view you might take on this, it seems wrong that customers are being subjected to this. Given the number of times I've come across this, there must be a very high number of people being put up by the Local Authorities in this way.

So I'd be interested to know whether other hotel users have come across this or not, as it might be just a local issue in this region.

What makes you think this?! They're probably just noisy paying customers!

I have paranoia, delusions and psychosis, by the way, so maybe it's the voices in my head telling me it's absolutely normal to have a few drunken idiots in an etap. To avoid them, I book entire apartments for prolonged stays away from home. AirBnbs often offer up to 50% discounts if you book for 4 weeks, I've had entire cottages to myself for far less than the price of a Travelodge.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    K80_Black wrote: »
    What makes you think this?! They're probably just noisy paying customers!

No this is definitely a reaction to my being there. The sort of things that led to that conclusion were:

1. Always there. They do not go out during the day. You can go back to your room at any time and they will start up knocking and banging in response to any noise or movement you make.
    2. Particular controlling / abusive / unreasonable aspects suggest behavioural issues.
    3. Apparent extreme sensitivity. I have never been aware of another guest typing in their hotel room. If I was, it would be unlikely to cause me any grief. Whereas someone else typing appears to cause these snowflakes something close to mental breakdown. Last night the guy upstairs was crashing around like a chimpanzee on speed because I had an email to write.
    4. Territorial. I can only imagine someone getting so worked up about someone in a neighbouring room because the snowflake looks on it as 'their turf' and regard the paying guest as an invader.
    I have paranoia, delusions and psychosis, by the way, so maybe it's the voices in my head telling me it's absolutely normal to have a few drunken idiots in an etap. To avoid them, I book entire apartments for prolonged stays away from home. AirBnbs often offer up to 50% discounts if you book for 4 weeks, I've had entire cottages to myself for far less than the price of a Travelodge.

Sounds like a good plan; wish I'd done that instead as I've lost a lot of sleep to this. Noise from people on the lash and inconsiderate travellers slamming doors and talking loudly in the corridor at 3am are very easy to identify. What I'm describing is something different.
  • No this is definitely a reaction to my being there. The sort of things that led to that conclusion were:

1. Always there. They do not go out during the day. You can go back to your room at any time and they will start up knocking and banging in response to any noise or movement you make.
    Well to know this for a fact, surely you must be in there all day too, no?

2. Particular controlling / abusive / unreasonable aspects suggest behavioural issues.
    How would you know this?

3. Apparent extreme sensitivity. I have never been aware of another guest typing in their hotel room. If I was, it would be unlikely to cause me any grief. Whereas someone else typing appears to cause these snowflakes something close to mental breakdown. Last night the guy upstairs was crashing around like a chimpanzee on speed because I had an email to write.
    Again, how do you know that they are reacting to your typing?

4. Territorial. I can only imagine someone getting so worked up about someone in a neighbouring room because the snowflake looks on it as 'their turf' and regard the paying guest as an invader.

Sounds like a good plan; wish I'd done that instead as I've lost a lot of sleep to this. Noise from people on the lash and inconsiderate travellers slamming doors and talking loudly in the corridor at 3am are very easy to identify. What I'm describing is something different.

I am really struggling to see how you have managed to draw all these conclusions, unless you have spoken to these "nightmare" guests in detail??
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Can't seem to quote from my mobile, but seriously coffeehound, snowflakes?!

Is there anyone you're not trying to offend here?

Please, try and be more delicate with your language. I get extremely 'abusive and unreasonable' around bullies! If you called me a snowflake and suggested in a derogatory fashion that I had a behavioural problem then I'd be banging on the walls to annoy you too!

Do you speak to people like that in real life too? THAT'S your problem if so.
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If it's the kind of hotels I'm thinking of, you're along the right tracks coffeehound, and it's not limited to a few local authorities, it's everywhere. I take supplies out to vulnerable people (through a charity I help run), and the number living in B&B's and nasty cheap hotels is disgraceful. Unfortunately the LAs have nowhere else to place them.
    it seems wrong that customers are being subjected to this.

What is wrong is that the government think it acceptable to dump vulnerable people in unsuitable and inadequate accommodation. I don't envy you having to stay there, but you have a choice to go elsewhere, they don't.
  • coffeehound
    I am really struggling to see how you have managed to draw all these conclusions, unless you have spoken to these "nightmare" guests in detail??

I've been putting up with this for a third of a year so have had ample time to pick out common traits. To give an example, they will sometimes `follow` you around your room. So you get fed up with the heavy objects being dropped on the floor above your head and take your chair to the other side of the room. After a while, the individual will work out where you`ve moved to and start up again there. If you go to the bathroom, they might follow you there and continue knocking on the wall to pip you off. It sounds ridiculous, but that has happened a few times, and it does get to you after a while.

Yes I have had occasion to go back to my room at various times of day with days off, sick days, late starts, early finishes etc. Typing seems to be the main thing that triggers the tantrums. And I don`t know why you put `nightmare` in quotes as I didn`t use it.
    Can't seem to quote from my mobile, but seriously coffeehound, snowflakes?!

Is there anyone you're not trying to offend here?

Please, try and be more delicate with your language. I get extremely 'abusive and unreasonable' around bullies! If you called me a snowflake and suggested in a derogatory fashion that I had a behavioural problem then I'd be banging on the walls to annoy you too!

Do you speak to people like that in real life too? THAT'S your problem if so.

I apologise for any offence, but have no sympathy for anyone acting like that. All I`ve been guilty of is acting in a normal reasonable way in a hotel room. It's the long term residents that seem to have a totally unreasonable and unrealistic expectation for being totally undisturbed.
    If it's the kind of hotels I'm thinking of, you're along the right tracks coffeehound, and it's not limited to a few local authorities, it's everywhere. I take supplies out to vulnerable people (through a charity I help run), and the number living in B&B's and nasty cheap hotels is disgraceful. Unfortunately the LAs have nowhere else to place them.

What is wrong is that the government think it acceptable to dump vulnerable people in unsuitable and inadequate accommodation. I don't envy you having to stay there, but you have a choice to go elsewhere, they don't.

Well it's not really those exploitative B&Bs, it`s smart modern hotel chains (I won't identify which). The sort of place that charges £75 on a busy Saturday night in a city centre. I`d be chuffed to bits to be able to stay here for free.

It's a shift change that's happened in the past couple of years. I guess it was the Tory "Care In The Community" policy that shut the sort of facilities that previously accommodated them. Kudos for your work, by the way.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You seem to be seriously unlucky coffeehound. I have experienced noise in all kinds of hotels with slamming doors and noise in corridors, but never people stalking me from the room above. Perhaps you should ask for a room on the top floor.
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    foxtrotoscar_2 Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    How frigging hard are you battering a laptop keyboard that someone in the room above can hear it? Perhaps you are initiating the noise problem?
  • coffeehound
    martindow wrote: »
    Perhaps you should ask for a room on the top floor.
    I've had the same from people below and next door.
    How frigging hard are you battering a laptop keyboard that someone in the room above can hear it? Perhaps you are initiating the noise problem?
    That's the bizarre thing - I'm not a heavy-fingered typist. Usually have the laptop on my lap rather than on a table, too. Hence thinking these folk are on the autistic spectrum if they are upset by something that's undetectable to most people.

Well deep joy, new hotel last night and no abuse so far.
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Too much coffee gives me the jitters too :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure