Why is my house cold?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Dave, at least in another thread the poster you quote is honest enough to admit he owns a company that.... You can guess the rest
    :D:D:D

Shhhhh! I was being very polite and acting all innocent-like. ;)
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Brr... I am a bit chilly this morning, I think I will put the heating on boost for a couple of hours as it's not due on till 3pm,(ok when I am out but it's Saturday, I am cold so on it goes) That's what I do
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Warm enough now (2.pm) so will put it back onto schedule and it will go off and come back on at 3 pm.
  • Davesnave wrote: »
    Have you a link to a reputable source for this info? i.e. one that isn't from an organisation standing to benefit from promulgating the idea?

I could understand the concept if the CWI had become saturated with water, but then the OP would surely have an indication of that and be worrying about damp rather than a lack of warmth.

Will the BRE (Building Research Establishment) do as reputable source?

Unfortunately, I can't post a link but Googling BRE "The Importance of Thermal Bridging" should produce the required information.

Although you would expect mould, this is not always the case.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Shroppey wrote: »
    Will the BRE (Building Research Establishment) do as reputable source?

Unfortunately, I can't post a link but Googling BRE "The Importance of Thermal Bridging" should produce the required information.

Although you would expect mould, this is not always the case.
    I looked at the short article, but saw nothing specifically mentioning CWI.

The CWI in my property, which I would never have chosen myself in this location, is rather hit and miss in its distribution. However, I'm not suffering the same problem as the OP.

I do agree that if I had a problem with rapid heat loss, thermal imaging would be the way to go.
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2017 at 11:15PM
    Hello again all. Thanks v much for all replies :)

So after living with the cold for a while I just think my radiators either arent putting enough heat out or my boiler isn’t powerful enough.

To be honest I think my boiler is powerful enough (and a handyman who used to service boilers agreed) but all the radiators aren’t putting out as much heat as they could (eg they’re not all boiling to touch). I’ve tried rebalancing the radiators where I can and I’ve done a pretty good job but some keep just going cold.

So I’m wondering if I should just get a new boiler (it’s about 15 years old) and whether Or whether I should see if a flush/magnaclean would work first? Eg is gunk floating around stopping some boilers heating up?

15 years old for a boiler feels quite old but has boiler tech really advanced that much since 2002-ish in terms of heat output and efficiency??
  • Zither wrote: »
    To be honest I think my boiler is powerful enough (and a handyman who used to service boilers agreed) but all the radiators aren’t putting out as much heat as they could (eg they’re not all boiling to touch). I’ve tried rebalancing the radiators where I can and I’ve done a pretty good job but some keep just going cold.
    Do they go cold half an hour after the boiler goes off? If so, that's what happens. Stuff cools to ambient temperature. As I type this my heating has been off for an hour after being on for 6 (thermostatically controlled so it is "on" to keep the house at 19C, not the boiler running for 6h). My radiators are now cold.

I read all through this thread and basically you need to run the heating longer. That's the fundamental problem with your house, you don't turn the heating on for long enough. If you don't like to run the heating because it costs money, you then need to decide if you want to spend money or be cold.

Spending several years worth of heating costs on a new boiler to save a few quid a month on the gas bill doesn't seem the most money saving idea every though.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Zither wrote: »
    I normally go to work to stay warm! 😂

I was in work today rather than working from home. When I got in my smart meter told me I had used 93 pence so far that day.

When I am working from home it would have been nearing £4.

It costs me around £8 in petrol to go to work and back.

Working from home makes more sense!

Just a thought! Don't save pennies to waste pounds.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Zither, go down to the local charity shops and get yourself kitted out with some woolly socks and jumpers and maybe some scarves and gloves.
    Or, put your heating on for longer.
    Either way you will feel warmer.
    As a last resort, wear a woolly hat round the house.
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 November 2017 at 7:52AM
    Do they go cold half an hour after the boiler goes off? If so, that's what happens. Stuff cools to ambient temperature. As I type this my heating has been off for an hour after being on for 6 (thermostatically controlled so it is "on" to keep the house at 19C, not the boiler running for 6h). My radiators are now cold.

I read all through this thread and basically you need to run the heating longer. That's the fundamental problem with your house, you don't turn the heating on for long enough. If you don't like to run the heating because it costs money, you then need to decide if you want to spend money or be cold.

Spending several years worth of heating costs on a new boiler to save a few quid a month on the gas bill doesn't seem the most money saving idea every though.

Hiya,

Thanks for taking the time to read - see your point. Yes the rads do cool down..but put it this way - had heating on for 3h last night. Temperature in Kitchen increased from 12c is to around 14c ish. I get that if I left the heating on for a long time the walls would radiate the heat back... but surely it would increase more than 2c over 3h??

Get your point on boiler. I think I have a Baxi 105HE. ‘Apparently’ it’s 87% efficient (which I guess isn’t bad) but like you and the rest of the thread are encouraging me to put heating on for longer I wonder if I might as well just ‘get it sorted’ and enjoy a boiler that might heat up sooner, do it 5-10% more efficiently and probably be attractive to any subsequent buyer? Or disagree? Just asking the question really. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure