PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Regarding voluntary things, it is supposed to be voluntary, not being pressurised into something that you don't really want to do.

Am not knocking doing things for others, whether it be a charity, a total stranger, friends or family. That is something I believe strongly in, help out when you can, and put yourself out if someone is in need.

There are things that I can and will do to help raise money for certain charities here in Cyprus. I can't help them all, it's just a case of doing what I am able to.

I no longer give financial aid to any UK charities. I was totally sickened by the continuous asking for more, so cut it all off. Actually what was the worst was a childrens charity, which I had written to, saying that payments would be stopped in 3 months, as we were leaving the country. Got a hideous email saying that we were destroying a child's dream. It was a local charity, and it was doing good work. However, that email was pure blackmail, evil and totally wrong. I cut off all funds to that charity immediately, and then stopped other charity funding, without warning them too much in advance. Probably very wrong, morally, but when charities don't have many morals any more, I am not so inclined to care.

My Mother-in-law died just over a year ago. Turns out she had been giving a lot of money to various "charities". When we lived near her, we kept an adept eye on things. Unfortunately, no idea of how much she paid out, but an eye-watering amount. I had already had a word with her, about being careful with online things/telephone calls, not a word did she mention. I do not for one minute think that she had forgotten. Seriously think that she was too embarrassed to mention that she had been conned. Why she did not go to the bank for help is beyond me, as she was quite capable....must have been too embarrassed to admit anything.

Suppose that we all would say that we would do thing differently these days, and we probably would. It was totally different years ago, when a woman was just there, kept her mouth shut, suffered a beating.
    Unfortunately, the beating and the rape still happen, as some women do not have the freedom of getting out and about. Thing is, most of us don't don't know, as we keep ourselves to ourselves. We really should be a wee bit nosy if we hear odd things happening.
    My parents neighbours...I was a child and in bed early, so knew nothing really, but did hear the neighbour screaming. My Mum has told me that she heard the woman screaming, but didn't want to interfere. Flipping heck...I'd be interfering right away, and meanwhile shouting for someone to call the police.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 July 2017 at 9:37AM
    Morning everyone,

I've just had my breakfast of Greek yoghurt and berries (no change there :))

Lunch will be an omelette (all this talk of quiche and omelettes has rubbed off :)) I have some mushrooms and a red pepper in the fridge, amongst other things so I am going to use them up. It will make a change from a sandwich.

Dinner will be a grilled salmon fillet with salad. I'm going to make a dressing for the salad but I haven't decided what type of dressing yet. I will see nearer the time, and have a look at what I need to use up.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 July 2017 at 11:23AM
    Today I am suffering one of the unnoticed/unspoken ways of "life for one".

I am expecting a workman ... "mid morning". I can't afford to miss him, but my house is tricky to find/park/identify .... the work is essential. I therefore must not miss him - even though I can't see the approach route.

So I will need to be super-aware and pacing about and running up/down the stairs to check out of the windows every time I think I hear the slightest squeak of a vehicle....

And I therefore cannot eat. The closest I can get to eating is if I grab a bowl of nut cornflakes, and wander round with them. So that's what I'll do.

I can't wait until he's arrived/started to cook a breakfast because, as we all know, you need to watch/check what somebody's doing and be available to answer any small/large/unimportant/important questions and then to inspect the work and make payment. More time that cooking can't occur....

If I were not expecting a workman I'd definitely be having a nice, filling, cooked brekky of: hash browns, scrambled eggs, beans, sausages, brown sauce and a black coffee.

So that might have to be lunch.

EDIT 11.23: When is mid morning? I expected it before now!
  • I can sympathise with that one PN. Know exactly what you mean.

I never feel I can do anything very much at all when a workman is in/supposed to be in doing something and that includes eating.

Throw in the unreliability factor I've had a lot of since moving...:cool: - so I'm always a bit on edge in case they are late or don't even turn up at all.

When they are actually here - then I'm alternating between "being reasonable and that's what I hope for back then" and making endless drinks for them on the one hand and keeping an eye on how they are doing the job on the other hand (ie because long experience has taught me that if there's a wrong way to do a job = there's a good chance that's how they will do it otherwise). Also busily checking out each stage of the job for myself on the Internet to ensure that "that bit" they are currently doing is being done in accordance with "majority opinion" as to how it should be done (I learnt that lesson the hard way - after the awful standard more than one task was done to after I first moved here and I couldnt look up the Internet - as that was playing up too).

The Internet is an absolute blessing for checking up for oneself how things "should be" done and making sure that's what happens.

I've gathered by now that I'm probably regarded as that one that is rather "particular" about how work needs to be done and will tell others what standard you did the work to on the one hand (despite it being a small town) but you've got nothing to worry about if you do the work decently (ie as I pay very promptly for it) on the other hand.:rotfl:

Definitely not much time for eating - in between making drinks for them/just popping out to check how they're doing/googling to see how they should be doing....
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 July 2017 at 2:01PM
    Well, job done.... 3 men, 1½ hours.

I can eat now!

Cooked breakfast .... when I've got my breath back as I just went to the shops to get them a cold drink, thinking they'd be a lot longer, but there were HUGE holdups in the shop .... queue 20 deep ...and when I returned they'd finished, which is annoying as I was planning on asking them to do another couple of easy 2 minute jobs while they were here, but when I got back they were packed up and sitting in the van waiting to go!

It was an outside job, fences etc.

EDIT 1:57: Eating now :)

EDIT 2:00: Finished!
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, job done.... 3 men, 1½ hours.

I can eat now!

Cooked breakfast .... when I've got my breath back as I just went to the shops to get them a cold drink, thinking they'd be a lot longer, but there were HUGE holdups in the shop .... queue 20 deep ...and when I returned they'd finished, which is annoying as I was planning on asking them to do another couple of easy 2 minute jobs while they were here, but when I got back they were packed up and sitting in the van waiting to go!

It was an outside job, fences etc.

EDIT 1:57: Eating now :)

EDIT 2:00: Finished!

At least it is done now. Irritating that you didn't get the opportunity to ask them to do the other jobs though.

I hate it when I have workmen here for any reason. I don't know why for sure but I think that it is because I feel that I can't get on with anything while they are here. I usually sit at the computer surfing the internet.

At least you got your cooked breakfast in the end, even though it is well past breakfast time :)
    Did you have your crunchy nut cornflakes for breakfast in the end?
  • PasturesNew
    Did you have your crunchy nut cornflakes for breakfast in the end?

I did because I eat them as they are - no sugar/milk, just the cornflakes... so easy to walk around with a small pie dish in your hand scoffing with your fingers, which is how I did it :)

Nothing to spoil if you just eat cereals dry
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    At least the job's done now PN, and there no easy 2 minute jobs, I speak from decades of experience doing them. I passed this nugget of knowledge onto my son and he found out the hard way that in fact I did know what I was talking about for once. Never start a 2 minute job when the DIY / car shops are shut or darkness is nearing

Another hotty today, finished up going to Morries, my "free" pub car park was full hence the change of plan. Nothing really needed just getting some bits in for tomorrow's trip down to Plymouth, crisps & sweets + water, just in case finish up queuing on the A35 / A30 as you do most sunny Sundays

Breakfast was digestive biscuits dunked in tea, then had bowl of bran flakes + sliced banana & honey drizzled on

Lunch back to use it it up loaf now, had cheese salad sarnie again, but now onto Red Leicester because I fancied a change for cheddar that's all. Now down to 4 slices left so that should just about work out before I go, or two bunged in freezer for toast on return

Dinner must be a use it up one, runners and will pick the rest before I go, plus LO half a pointy cabbage & LO broccoli lump. Cleared the last of the Xmas 2015 3 bird roast out of the freezer, defrosted on worktop and ready for dinner

I did pick the last of the gooseberries yesterday, had with ice cream & honey
    Tonight is probably same but with red currants. I will have to get my eating skates on because I notice there are gazillions of blackberries ripening now, but at least I can freeze them raw until the apples ripen

After today, no more CFO in Plymouth, full English in the B & B, lunch out, dinner down the Barbican somewhere. No pasty or cream tea planned but who knows?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Farway wrote: »
    .... Plymouth...
    Pick up some budgie smugglers and head for the Lido.
    :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinside_Pool
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Pick up some budgie smugglers and head for the Lido.
    :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinside_Pool

I think to save being arrested a burka would be better :eek:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure