Dwp debt managment overpayment

Hi All,
I have a debt to pay back to the DWP and this was going back since 2004-2006.

I have paid back over over 3000 -4000 back to DWP, but i have still outstanding DEBT of £10,984.

i am currently paying £10.00 a month, but i do not know how i am gong to pay the complete debt off.

Is there a compassionate reason they can waive this Debt off, as it gone over 11 Years.

I am currently out of Work and find it difficult to increase the payment and finding this debt to pay off.

Too many issue within the family due to financial issue.

Many thanks for looking at the post and replying.

Comments

• Richey_
    Richey_ Posts: 334 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2017 at 7:54PM
    cyrilregis wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have a debt to pay back to the DWP and this was going back since 2004-2006.

I have paid back over over 3000 -4000 back to DWP, but i have still outstanding DEBT of £10,984.

i am currently paying £10.00 a month, but i do not know how i am gong to pay the complete debt off.

Is there a compassionate reason they can waive this Debt off, as it gone over 11 Years.

I am currently out of Work and find it difficult to increase the payment and finding this debt to pay off.

Too many issue within the family due to financial issue.

Many thanks for looking at the post and replying.

If I am honest you are unlikely to get a nice answer here under the circumstances.

You were overpaid best part of £15,000 of tax payers money of which you having nothing left to show for it (savings) and presumably lived very well on and now you want the debt wiped for "compassionate reasons?" Can I ask how you managed to get so much in debt to DWP, was there fraud involved?

I wonder what would happen if I contacted my mortgage company and say look I have paid off roughly 30% of my debt, please can you now just wipe the other 70% on compassionate grounds? I can picture the person on the phone falling off their chair with hysterical laughter!!

Take any job you can find and work hard and work very hard to clear the hard way to clear your debts. I left uni unemployed with circa £15,000 in credit card, loans and over draft debts. I worked and I worked until I paid the full amount off, I even worked at McDonald's whilst waiting for a career job to start, didn't matter where I would have taken anything to service my debts. I had no holidays, expensive meals and drove a very old car whilst putting all spare money at the debts. One of the toughest lessons I ever learnt, but have never been in debt since....

There must be work available where you live if you will take anything and work hard? Do well and I am sure this will lead to pay rises and better jobs in the future, which over time will mean problem sorted. Good luck :beer:
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    There's an important question in Richey's post. Is this a fraudulent overpayment?

That is defined as: being found guilty at court; accepting an administrative penalty; admitting the offence at an interview under caution.

If one of those apply then no form of insolvency will clear the debt - the best you can get would be temporary relief.

If it's not fraudulent, have a look to see if you qualify for a Debt Relief Order.
  • cyrilregis
    cyrilregis Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes i was on Income support and some years i was on Jobseekers.

The money i had in the bank belong to my previous work colleague who was single/ Separated and he did not want to put the money in his account due to he had issue with the marriage , where he was going through divorce.

But due to His money, i had in my account and could not prove it, they classed as fraud and over payment had to be paid back.

My friend who is now Deported back and now he is struggling with financial, as he no longer lives in this country and i am lumbered with this debt due to keeping his money and did not think at the time of this circumstances or this situation would happen.

So There is no if or but and i have to pay this debt off. I know for now i have to be careful not to help, as i am too naive and i can not say No and it is causing friction with my wife now.

Where i i work it is always temporary work or the work is outsource and keep being made redundant.

Much appreciated for your replies and looking into my case.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Yikes. Aside from the obvious money laundering/divorce payments avoidance you helped commit, you also made the DWP think you had undeclared assets?

I think any claims for compassion would fall on deaf ears, considering what you did, knowingly unlawful or not.

You say where you work is always on a casual basis, is there no other lines of employment you can look at? Rolling agency work is still work and if you're flexible, usually pretty constant depending on where you are.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • cyrilregis
    cyrilregis Posts: 14 Forumite
    Thanks Guys for all your advice.

How does the temporary relief works ?

what is the debt relief order and how does it works ?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    cyrilregis wrote: »
    Thanks Guys for all your advice.

How does the temporary relief works ?

what is the debt relief order and how does it works ?

Use Google !!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi cyrilregis

Do you know whether the overpayment was treated as fraudulent? As previous posts point out this is essential to know.

fatbelly wrote: »
    There's an important question in Richey's post. Is this a fraudulent overpayment?

That is defined as: being found guilty at court; accepting an administrative penalty; admitting the offence at an interview under caution.

If one of those apply then no form of insolvency will clear the debt - the best you can get would be temporary relief.

If it's not fraudulent, have a look to see if you qualify for a Debt Relief Order.

A Debt Relief Order (DRO) is a form of insolvency that gets most debts written off, but excludes fraudulent debts. The main conditions you must meet are having less than £20,000 debt, having less than £1000 worth of assets, having less than £50 per month available to pay towards your debts, and if you own a car it must be worth less than £1000.

You can find more information here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/debtrelieforders/droadvice.aspx.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,297 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Get a copy of your local Yellow Pages, go to "Employment agencies" and visit/call every single one to get registered with them. You will get enough work to improve your situation, so long as you're prepared to do whatever it takes.

I think the most important lesson to be learned from this is DON'T knowingly help someone else to evade their financial responsibilities as it may come back to bite you on the behind.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    A Debt Relief Order (DRO) is a form of insolvency that gets most debts written off, but excludes fraudulent debts.

Technically they're not excluded, as they have to be listed, and count towards the 20k limit. It's just that they're not written off at the end of the moratorium.

Cyril says this one was fraud.

A DRO might still be worth doing if it clears other debts and at least gives 12 months respite from the big one.

But you need to look at the big picture
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Apologies Cyril I missed in your earlier post that you said the debt had been classed as fraudulent. Fatbelly is quite right the debt would still have to be included in the DRO but it wouldn’t actually be written off. Sorry for any confusion.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure