Paypal and Non Receipt Dispute!

Hi all, Last January I sold an item on Ebay and it was listed for UK only but I was asked by someone in Moscow if I would post it there. After a lot of discussions with this person we decided that he would pay through Paypal but off Ebay to save on fees. And he would pay for shipping but he would only pay for cheapest postage no insurance or signed for etc. For three months it had not arrived (so he says) so against my better judgement I offered him 50% refund which he accepted. Now about three more months on he has logged a Non-Receipt Dispute and because I have no money in my Paypal account the is a minus £260 and Paypal say I must add money to my account so that I am not owing Paypal any money!!!!!!!!!!! Why am I owing paypal money??? Wonder what people think of this. Also in a few days my registered card that I have with Paypal expires so I am considering not updating it.

Comments

• mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    To be fair the tracking is to cover you, not the buyer. You should never have agreed to send something expensive without tracking.
    People say PayPal don't pursue you too hard for the money. But you and your household will probably never be able to have a PayPal account and probably an eBay account again.
  • mrcol1000
    Also where do you think PayPal got the money to refund them? They paid it so you now owe them it. It's no different to going overdrawn
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    shezza2 wrote: »
    !!!!!!!!!!! Why am I owing paypal money???
    Simple they disputed and won, so PP paid on your behalf as you had no money in your account, so now you owe PP the money.

If you have paid 50% refund even via ebay you should have a record of the transaction as refunds through Ebay go through Paypal, so you need to call Paypal and explain this to them, then will need proof you have paid 50% to the buyer
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    So you decided to cheat ebay and you are now complaining because you feel he's cheating you? The words 'pot' and 'kettle' spring to mind....
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Hi all, Last January I sold an item on Ebay and it was listed for UK only but I was asked by someone in Moscow if I would post it there. After a lot of discussions with this person we decided that he would pay through Paypal but off Ebay to save on fees. And he would pay for shipping but he would only pay for cheapest postage no insurance or signed for etc. For three months it had not arrived (so he says) so against my better judgement I offered him 50% refund which he accepted. Now about three more months on he has logged a Non-Receipt Dispute and because I have no money in my Paypal account the is a minus £260 and Paypal say I must add money to my account so that I am not owing Paypal any money!!!!!!!!!!! Why am I owing paypal money??? Wonder what people think of this. Also in a few days my registered card that I have with Paypal expires so I am considering not updating it.

If you read PayPal terms and conditions, you will notice that it requires YOU to use tracking to prove that the item has arrived.

As you failed to do this, and therefore cannot prove it has arrived, then PayPal have refunded the buyer, and you now need to give the money back to PayPal.

If you want to reclaim your £260, then you need to claim from the courier. As you chose not to take insurance (YOU sent the parcel, so it is your contract with the courier...) then this is going to be rather difficult.

An expensive lesson learned...

(Or you could choose never to use PayPal again and close your account. They might chase you through the court for the money, but probably not.)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Tealblue
    Tealblue Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Just think about the impact on your credit rating if you don't reimburse Paypal...
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Tealblue wrote: »
    Just think about the impact on your credit rating if you don't reimburse Paypal...

What would that be then?
  • shezza2
    shezza2 Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Tealblue wrote: »

This would not concern me because I NEVER use credit, if I can't pay for it I don't buy it.
  • shezza2
    shezza2 Posts: 197 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    Also where do you think PayPal got the money to refund them? They paid it so you now owe them it. It's no different to going overdrawn

Still not to sure that's right just yet as it still in dispute until 7th next month for us to sort out.
  • mrcol1000
    Still not to sure that's right just yet as it still in dispute until 7th next month for us to sort out.

You made it sound like it had already been resolved. I'd contact PayPal but they are likely to say that without online tracking proving delivery you must refund or they will do it on your behalf and you will owe PayPal the money.

You have nothing to lose by ringing them though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure