6kg hold luggage allowance

Comments

• Westin wrote: »
    Possibly because they all added comments at the time the thread was active back in January, but you have waited until Mid-May to add a pointless comment?
    So I wasn't aware that while a thread was open that you were not allowed to comment. Is this some rule you and you mate want to impose - but have failed to achieve?
    Has it occurred too you that I didn't see the thread at the time - so I didn't wait. Wrong.
    It is your post that is pointless. Wrong.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • leylandsunaddict
    leylandsunaddict Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So I wasn't aware that while a thread was open that you were not allowed to comment. Is this some rule you and you mate want to impose - but have failed to achieve?
    Has it occurred too you that I didn't see the thread at the time - so I didn't wait. Wrong.
    It is your post that is pointless. Wrong.

Posting something (usually irrelevant) on a dormant thread to put it back at the top of the list is called necroposting, and it's generally considered to be bad forum etiquette.
  • Why do people need more than 6k hand luggage?

Hopefully this will be a the start of airlines reducing carry on. Fed up of going on flights where there isnt enough space for peoples "hand luggage" and we miss our allocated departure slot.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Why do people need more than 6k hand luggage?

Hopefully this will be a the start of airlines reducing carry on. Fed up of going on flights where there isnt enough space for peoples "hand luggage" and we miss our allocated departure slot.
    Some people travel without hold luggage, especially if going away for just a few days.

We've done trips to various cities with just hand luggage.

When we are away for a 2. 3 or 4 week holiday and have hold luggage, we can manage easily with 5kg of hand luggage.

FTR, the OP had various answers to his question and if he had any sense he would have made sure his hand luggage was within TC rules.

For the benefit of ThinkingOutLoud, various other airlines were mentioned because the OP posted this - which is not accurate.
    hungledink wrote: »
    I just booked a flight with thomas cook, not realising (I need to learn to read small print) the hand luggage allowance is only 6kg where most airlines have at least 10kg.
  • Posting something (usually irrelevant) on a dormant thread to put it back at the top of the list is called necroposting, and it's generally considered to be bad forum etiquette.
    Fair enough - thanks for explaining the other posters' ire.
    It was not what I was doing or why I posted. I thought there was something unsaid about why different airlines have differing policies and the advantage of smaller carry on limits to turnaround times seemed unmentioned.
    I have NO reason or desire to put this thread anywhere. So the unfounded accusations and the manner of them are wrong and pointless.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Why do people need more than 6k hand luggage?

What I would like to see is the overhead lockers being allocated with the seat numbers. I hate when there is someone elses stuff in the locker above my seat and the owner is sitting elsewhere.

6k seems low to me but I have no concept on luggage weight, the past few times I've travelled I've not had to weigh my case, I just put it in the slot at the check in to ensure it's within the dimensions. I don't have luggage scales and not going to buy one anytime soon either.
  • Pollycat
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    What I would like to see is the overhead lockers being allocated with the seat numbers. I hate when there is someone elses stuff in the locker above my seat and the owner is sitting elsewhere.

6k seems low to me but I have no concept on luggage weight, the past few times I've travelled I've not had to weigh my case, I just put it in the slot at the check in to ensure it's within the dimensions. I don't have luggage scales and not going to buy one anytime soon either.
    What I'd like to see is airlines penalising those people who think rules don't apply to them and manage to take hand luggage that is over the stated dimensions and/or over the stated weight limit.
    And take more than the number of items they are supposed to.

If airlines did do that, you'd probably find that you'd have room above your seat for your own within-weight, within-size case.

Going over the maximum hand luggage weight could turn out to be quite a lot more expensive than buying a set of luggage scales if your bag is overweight and has to be checked into the hold.
  • AubreyMac
    Pollycat wrote: »
    What I'd like to see is airlines penalising those people who think rules don't apply to them and manage to take hand luggage that is over the stated dimensions and/or over the stated weight limit.
    And take more than the number of items they are supposed to.

If airlines did do that, you'd probably find that you'd have room above your seat for your own within-weight, within-size case.

Going over the maximum hand luggage weight could turn out to be quite a lot more expensive than buying a set of luggage scales if your bag is overweight and has to be checked into the hold.

What about people who wear everything and stuff pockets etc then take off once on plane and stuff the overhead lockers? They are an issue too.

That's currently how people get around the weight or size limit right?

Also, once passed the check in and security, I've seen people do big shops at duty free.
  • Pollycat
    AubreyMac wrote: »
    What about people who wear everything and stuff pockets etc then take off once on plane and stuff the overhead lockers? They are an issue too.

That's currently how people get around the weight or size limit right?

Also, once passed the check in and security, I've seen people do big shops at duty free.
    It may be that we take different types of flights.
    We usually have hold luggage included in the ticket price and if it isn't, we'd pay to take a checked bag.

I've never seen anyone in a coat with many pockets on a flight.

The way people usually get around the weight or size limit is to ignore it and hope for the best.

It's tedious to read the many posts on TA - 'how strict is airline x with hand luggage?'
    !!!!!!, read what the website says and stick to the rules.
    Why do they think the rules don't apply to them?
  • AubreyMac
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It may be that we take different types of flights.
    We usually have hold luggage included in the ticket price and if it isn't, we'd pay to take a checked bag.

I've never seen anyone in a coat with many pockets on a flight.

The way people usually get around the weight or size limit is to ignore it and hope for the best.

It's tedious to read the many posts on TA - 'how strict is airline x with hand luggage?'
    !!!!!!, read what the website says and stick to the rules.
    Why do they think the rules don't apply to them?

My last flight was with Ryanair (got back last week from wonderful Krakow). Only recently (I only fly about once every year or 2) I have noticed a weight limit on the cabin luggage on top of the size limit. Last summer I flew with Easyjet who didn't have a weight limit (but might do now). My Krakow trip was the first time I travelled with only the cabin case, it is surprising how much you can actually fit with careful packing.

I agree that anyone who chances it risk paying extra, everyone is warned afterall. It's hit and miss and I guess checks can be random (though I agree it should be consistent and more strict/regular).

If I was over my limit, I'd rather throw some clothes etc away and re-buy them. I don't think any item I own is worth more than what the charge is for hold luggage anyway.

Didn't Martin Lewis himself suggest a specific type of jacket with lots of hidden pockets?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure