Untaxed cars

Options
CLT1987
CLT1987 Posts: 8 Forumite
My neighbour has been keeping untaxed cars on his drive. New cars keep appearing pretty much every day which I thought was suspicious so I have been checking the tax status of each new one that appears with the DVLA (as I know this particular neighbour has been partial to a bit of vehicle tax avoidance himself in the past). Low and behold each new car that appears, which is pretty much one every day, does not have vehicle tax and/or MOT. I have reported each car that I have seen with no tax to the DVLA but nothing has happened. Any advice??? Because as far as I'm aware they must have a SORN even if they are kept off the road, plus they are obviously being driven to and from the property untaxed. Very strange and suspicious!!

Comments

• Roland_Sausage
    Options
    CLT1987 wrote: »
    Any advice???

Yes. Mind your own business.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    When they're causing an obstruction in the road, then start complaining.

What someone does on their own driveway, their own property, has nothing to do with you, unless they're causing a genuine nuisance.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    My neighbour has been keeping untaxed cars on his drive.

Not on the road then. As has been said mind your own business.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My neighbour has been keeping untaxed cars on his drive. New cars keep appearing pretty much every day which I thought was suspicious so I have been checking the tax status of each new one that appears with the DVLA (as I know this particular neighbour has been partial to a bit of vehicle tax avoidance himself in the past). Low and behold each new car that appears, which is pretty much one every day, does not have vehicle tax and/or MOT. I have reported each car that I have seen with no tax to the DVLA but nothing has happened. Any advice??? Because as far as I'm aware they must have a SORN even if they are kept off the road, plus they are obviously being driven to and from the property untaxed. Very strange and suspicious!!

Join a random forum and start a thread about it.
  • CLT1987
    CLT1987 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that nobody is above the law. I struggle to make ends meet and provide for myself and my family but I still manage to abide by the law and pay my road tax. But as I said everyone is entitled to their own opinion so there you go!
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most likely explanation is he is a motor trader who has had to temporarily move his stock from his normal pitch or he has a friend who is a trader and he is storing the stock for them.

If the cars are registered as "in trade" with dvla which you have no way of confirming they do not require tax or sorn but must be kept off the public road. They can legally be driven on trade plates for movement of stock,test drives or to take them for repairs.

Likely to be perfectly legal.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you know he's acting illegally?
    Might have trade plates for starters
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Try rummaging through his bins, you might find some useful information.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes. Mind your own business.
    Join a random forum and start a thread about it.
    Did you all miss the bit that said "Newbie Alert" please give a little leeway and be especially nice??
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Trade plates, returned home from the MOT station so the tax and MOT have not shown up yet.

Is it you taking pictures of my cars and writing in your little red notebook?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure