PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property being gifted - Is stamp Duty payable?

icebergx
icebergx Posts: 688 Forumite
edited 19 March 2017 at 4:12AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi all,

My parents jointly own their home and are considering gifting it to me, as they will be moving abroad.
I already own a property... Would Stamp Duty be due if they gifted the property to me? Would this be both the regular Stamp Duty AND the additional 3% for a second property?
The property is worth around £600k and is Mortgage-free.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Harryp_24
    Harryp_24 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    i wish i was rich. doesnt help you but im just saying :(
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    icebergx wrote: »
    Hi all,

My parents jointly own their home and are considering gifting it to me, as they will be moving abroad.
    I already own a property... Would Stamp Duty be due if they gifted the property to me? Would this be both the regular Stamp Duty AND the additional 3% for a second property?
    The property is worth around £600k and is Mortgage-free.

Thanks for your help.

If you get property as a gift you won’t pay SDLT as long as there’s no outstanding mortgage on it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-transferring-ownership-of-land-or-property#gift
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Is it really a gift, so that you could live in/ sell/rent out as you see fit....or do they think that you'll be 'looking after it for them' if they decide to return to the UK in the future.

Are they really that rich that they can give away a £600,000 asset, and never need it again.

I don't know about the SD issues, but I'd make sure everyone's cards are well and truly on the table!!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • icebergx
    icebergx Posts: 688 Forumite
    It'd definitely be mine to do with as I pleased. They have a property abroad where they'll be living, and the cost of living over there is so cheap that they'll be able to live very well on their pensions alone.
    Ultimately, they're my parents and I'll always look after them if required but they're happy to city the property to me.

Incidentally, If I didn't own a property, and this was gifted to me, after which I chose to buy another property, I presume I would have to pay both normal and second property stamp?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Do you really want to be a landlord? I would suggest they sell and give you a cash gift, but unless they have plenty of other liquid assets they should hold on to some equity in case things go pear shaped at some point in the future
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure