£50k to zero - made it across the finish line

Comments

• Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Wow, some haul!

And a grand plan is a nice idea. Mine atm is busy the debt, try and do some more weekends away with the family. But we want to take the kids to Japan in maybe 2/3 years! We went pre kids and adored it, we want to do it again. But it will cost so so much, esp around the bloody school holiday.

We also need to sort out retirement stuff as we are incredibly underfunded, and I want the mortgage gone before we are 55 (13 years away) atm we have 24 years left.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • A small woohoo!

The mortgage switch has been done. Our new rate may only save us £2 per month, but because our original mortgage was in two lumps, we get cashback on both of them! £200 will be paid into my current account at the beginning of May. I have accounted for it already - mostly emergency fund, but some of it will cover the fuel for a journey we need to make in May. It was already budgeted for, but will give us a bit of breathing space .

Another baby step today was opening a new savings account. I admit there is an ulterior motive here - I will only be putting £1 per month in it to start with, but the provider has lounges in an area that I go to on a fairly regular basis that offer free refreshments and wifi to all customers. A nice benefit for what is essentially no cost.
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
  • Meter readings done and submitted, accounts checked. That's pretty much it for today.

I am trying to move as little as possible out of the EF to account for the £131 extra DD payment and was hoping to get away with only borrowing back £50, but even though I don't actually need to use my debit card for anything other than travel between now and payday, I still have to spend another £20-£23 on bus and train fares for work.

I will only have £10.50 left in the current account once the DD clears, so will move another £15 across from the EF tomorrow to make sure it's covered (I have enough cash left for any food we need to get over the weekend). On the plus side, had it not been for the surprise double payment I would have ended the month nicely in credit, so things could be a lot worse!

The borrowed £65 will go back in the EF on payday and I'll try to trim money from elsewhere; at worst I can overpay the CC by less next month and make up the overpayments when the mortgage cashback comes through in May.
  • One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 August 2020 at 2:11PM
    Evening diary!

It's been a good couple of days. On Thursday I had a moment of great timing and got a flash sale 80% discount on a month-long membership of an education website I'd had my eye on for ages. £5.19 at the current exchange rate for hundreds of hours of photography & business coaching. I am like a kid in a sweet shop trying to cram in as much as I can while I have access. I can only watch some of the videos at home as I sucked up more than 2gb of data in a day and a half of watching/listening on my commute, but I've got so, so much from it already.
    Some of the content is quite MSE friendly as well; lots of presentations covering things like the ways in which we can leak money and some of the emotions behind it; to say I have recognised myself in some of it is a massive understatement! :rotfl:

I had a nice surprise today in that I had a calendar reminder set to apply for my reward from switching to BT mobile; I was under the impression that I was due a £40 or £60 prepaid Mastercard. I couldn't find the link on my account when I logged in, so filled in a query form, and within an hour had an email from customer services telling me that my £95 card would arrive within 30 days :j With this and the TCB payment, my 6GB per month unlimited calls and texts SIM is costing me all of £4 this year :) Everything else has been ticking over (though First Utility haven't collected their direct debit yet).

Homemade chilli with paprika potato wedges has made us both rather slothful and content this evening, and the rest of the weekend will be suitably quiet and domesticated.
  • Well done on the £95 card reward :beer:
  • Made it to payday by the skin of my teeth. £1.64 left in the bank and £11.44 in cash.

Technically I have gone very slightly over, as £16.35 got spent in IKEA tonight, but all bar £1.60 was on food and will provide us with six main courses each, and that will come out of the April grocery budget as it won't leave my account until after my pay goes in.

Tomorrow is a big bill paying day. I am getting a bit stressed over the April budget as it does feel really tight, but this is partly due to trying to put back the money borrowed from the emergency fund towards the utilities, and partly due to thinking about the final bills due to come from EDF and BG. All the remaining money has been allocated into little pots, and the discretionary spending pots are pretty small. Whilst I'm happy that big chunks of debt are being slayed, it's definitely going to be a year of exceptional juggling.
  • One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March 2018 at 12:56PM
    Happy payday!

I was very pleasantly surprised to find the payment for the photo in my account today less than 48 hours after invoicing. Nice clients! :)
    It has been split between tax, CC, emergency fund and current account, and with the other payments made today I have reduced the overall debt by £537.16 - it feels good, I actually really love making these payments and seeing the numbers change.
    Not really much going on other than work, which has been *really* busy (and still quite draining due to everything going on around the restructure) but we have a four day weekend ahead with absolutely nothing planned except for a bit of painting. Really looking forward to a bit of proper downtime!
  • One-step- well done and keep it up!!
    Oh and Happy Easter to all :D:easter_ba:easter_ba:EasterBun:easter_ba :easter_ba
  • One-step- well done and keep it up!!
    Oh and Happy Easter to all :D:easter_ba:easter_ba:EasterBun:easter_ba :easter_ba

Thank you and Happy Easter to you too! :beer:

Today's post has brought our final electricity bill from EDF- an eye-watering £178 :eek:
    I was expecting to take a bit of a hit, but OUCH. So far more than half the estimated annual saving from the switch has been eaten up in double payments. Goodbye, half my emergency fund, it's been nice knowing you for a short while! On the plus side, last year I had no money put aside for stuff like this, so on balance it's still a win, plus I am on top of things for the coming year.

Other tiny wins - I have £5.25 cashback pending from our big shop, am off to B&Q shortly to get my paint (5% back via TCB), and my BT reward card activation email has turned up, and the card will be here within ten days.

Now, can I stop procrastinating? :rotfl:
  • One-Step - Thanks :) Glad you had your emergency fund to help you deal with that big edf bill :eek: hopefully you will be able to build it back up again steadily. Hope you get on well with that painting :Dhave a good weekend :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback