A little home to call my own

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We did the planet Hollywood deal after the theatre Friday night, it does state service charge payable on top so I expected to pay that on the whole bill including voucher as that's what often happens, but they just charged service charge on the extra glass of red we had each :beer:

Just being nosey but do you have any plans for while you are in london?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NG - Will bear the service charge in mind, thanks:) No I haven't got any plans as yet, but will be looking for free/cheap things to do, any suggestions gratefully received:)

43p TT this morning!:T Happy Valentines to all:)

Had a lovely lunch with DSD1 and DGC yesterday, although a tad blown about in the wind and rain getting there. DS3 enjoyed seeing his sister, nephew and niece too!

Plan on going into town this morning and doing all those jobs that have been hanging around on my list for days. Ex is round this afternoon to see DD, then I am off out with BF for dinner :heart:

So far it has been a busy holiday, but I am truly looking forward to a proper rest up from tomorrow:D
    November NSD's - 7
  • newgirly
    Options
    I'm no expert JD, might be worth posting on the uk holiday board for suggestions. Personally the national gallery is one of my favourites along with the natural history museum, both free obviously :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • JAMIEDODGER
    edited 16 February 2018 at 8:36AM
    Options
    Morning:)

Came down with a horrible virus thingy on valentines afternoon which meant I had to cancel our meal out and my friend coming round last night too:( Can't be helped. BF bought me a lovely card and red roses though! Feeling on the mend now finally.

TT small amounts over the past two days plus sent another £100 to savings. Total so far stands at £1826.76:T Just £173.24 to reach my target:j

Looking into doing a trip with my BF and younger two next year in the summer.:idea: Budget backpacking style, Croatia and Bosnia down to Montenegro:D I am currently working out a budget and seeing roughly how much I would need to save. DS3 will be 18 then, and DD would be 15 and I think it will probably be the last time I could get them to do a decent trip with us.

I will have to do a lot of number crunching, but I am thinking it could be done with some effort into extra bargain hunting and all the usual tactics. I wouldn't want to save any less towards my other goals (pension and house fund) so it would mean earning the extra. This is going to take some pondering :think:

I have managed to cross a fair bit off my to do list this week, however ironing still evades me (or I it?) :rotfl:

Ongoing list:

Collect pet meds
    Finalise pension transfer
    Ironing
    Wrap mums gift
    Take mum present over

Off to do some more adventure planning:D
    November NSD's - 7
  • newgirly
    Options
    I love a good challenge :D do you have an idea of how much you need or how you will do it? It sounds like a great idea!
  • JAMIEDODGER
    Options
    NG - Trying to put together a rough budget. I am thinking that we will need around £30 a day each (which I think will be way more than we need) On top of that the cost of flights out to Croatia and back from Montenegro, plus the kids will need new passports and backpacks. I am guessing that the total for the three of us (BF will pay for himself) will be about £2600 and that will include absolutely everything, but for three weeks, three people, all in I think that is pretty reasonable:)

Edited to say: We will be staying in cheap airbnb places, eating local food, cooking some of the time, budget airline, trains and buses and cheap and free sightseeing. Oh and I am the only drinker in the group, and I don't drink much either:D
    November NSD's - 7
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,282 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope you are on the mend soon.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • JAMIEDODGER
    Options
    Thanks Beanie x
    November NSD's - 7
  • JAMIEDODGER
    Options
    Feel much better this morning than I have in days:) Popping to my parents this afternoon to give my mum her birthday present as she will be away for her birthday and I want her to have it to open while she is away:)

89p TT today:T

I have now decided to aim to save £2500 into the travel fund for next years adventure, this will be in addition to the £650 per month I am aiming for in my house fund:) It is a big challenge, but one that I feel with hard work, I can do.

The plan is to increase my normal budgeted £625 to £650 which will be sent to my IF ISA in £100 increments over the month, I think this is doable if I reduce my grocery budget from £450 to £425 per month (I have come in way under this the last few months:j).

Then, I plan on sending all extra money earned/TT/coupons/bank bonuses/ebay etc to the travel fund. I am changing the total needed to £2500 as I will not be including the children's passport renewals, as this is something I have been budgeting for separately, nor will it include the kids backpacks which I will also need to buy.

The total needed will include all:

Transportation
    Food
    Accomodation
    Fun (activities & tours)

This roughly equates to an extra £150 needed per month between now and next summer :eek:

I am adding an extra line to my signature to track my progress:D Wish me luck because I think I'm going to need it :eek::rotfl:
    November NSD's - 7
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    [FONT=&quot] Wish me luck because I think I'm going to need it [/FONT]:eek::rotfl:

Good Luck - you will do it, its amazing when you focus just how much you can achieve :)
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport