Student Loans repayment details - 3rd party support

2»

Comments

• Cardea
    Cardea Posts: 11
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have also had a letter from the Student Loans Company wanting details of how I am supported by a third party. In this case this is my loving husband who graciously allows me to live off his income in return for housework and so on. ;). Actually I am disabled and have been for 15 years but not disabled enough for any government benefits :mad::mad:

They want to know how much he allows me per week/month/year. I don't know and neither does he! He doesn't actually "Allow" me anything. So what do I put down? a joke amount, or an assessed amount which will be nigh on impossible. :mad:

Also we are instructed to provide 3 months of bank statements. We object to our private bank account being perused by persons unknown. Is there any way round this? Can we blank out our account numbers, for example?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,829
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Cardea wrote: »
    I have also had a letter from the Student Loans Company wanting details of how I am supported by a third party. In this case this is my loving husband who graciously allows me to live off his income in return for housework and so on. ;). Actually I am disabled and have been for 15 years but not disabled enough for any government benefits :mad::mad:

They want to know how much he allows me per week/month/year. I don't know and neither does he! He doesn't actually "Allow" me anything. So what do I put down? a joke amount, or an assessed amount which will be nigh on impossible. :mad:

Also we are instructed to provide 3 months of bank statements. We object to our private bank account being perused by persons unknown. Is there any way round this? Can we blank out our account numbers, for example?

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you want finance you are going to have to provide information. Make a budget of household costs.

I'm sure blanking out numbers would be OK, but again providing bank statements is reasonable if you want to be financed.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • calise
    calise Posts: 25 Forumite
    I have just received this years deferment application form and have the same problem. Stay at home mum, no income. In the past they have accepted a written statement from my husband, this year it seems like they are asking for bank account statement with support payments clearly labelled. Who even lives like that in a marriage?!

So how did people get on? What was deemed acceptable?

And for people making smart replies, the contract we all signed was for our own income to be taken into account, not anyone elses. I don't expect when signing a legal contract to have the goalposts moved 20 years later and I suspect neither does anyone else!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure