Oyster card reclaiming - guide discussion

articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi all,

We've written a new Oyster Card Reclaiming guide.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Jenny

Comments

• aycor
    aycor Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Brilliant very useful I knew I had money in an oyster card linked to my barclaycard which I rarely use so I checked and found I had two, one with £12 and the other with £6 not alot but claimed a refund await it landing into my account Thanks Jenny
  • Will get £17 back off a card not used for a couple of years! Thanks for tip
  • asheranti
    asheranti Posts: 11 Forumite
    Is it possible to get a refund of the card deposit too?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    asheranti wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a refund of the card deposit too?
    You get that back as well if applicable.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Do all methods of refund stop the card from working (I'd quite like the money back but to retain a functioning card with a nil balance)?
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just applied for a refund for an old Oyster card. Had £12.00 on it plus got the £5.00 deposit back. I lost the card a couple of years ago and thought that it may have been used but obviously not.

Look forward to receiving my £17.00 in due course.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • In order to reclaim ...
    I am required to sign up online ...
    In order to sign up ...
    I have to give details of the last journey made with the Oyster card – which must have been made within the last 8 weeks (but not today) ...
    I have not made a journey in 8 months with the Oyster card – let alone 8 weeks ...
    I am unable to sign up online ...
    I am unable to reclaim ...
    So far, not so good ...

For further assistance, I may contact TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (8am - 8pm) ...
    No thank you ...
    I am currently abroad – for most of my foreseeable future ...

So much for 60 seconds!
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    miller wrote: »
    Do all methods of refund stop the card from working (I'd quite like the money back but to retain a functioning card with a nil balance)?

What on Earth for? So that you actually have to add money to the card next time you go back in order that you can use it?
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    googler wrote: »
    What on Earth for? So that you actually have to add money to the card next time you go back in order that you can use it?

For those of us that don't go to London regularly, it can be useful to have a card i.e. not need to purchase a new one up there, but not keep money on it because it's so rarely used. I'd like to do this too. But usually end up keeping £5-£10 on my card. Can sometimes go over a year between uses.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    For those of us that don't go to London regularly, it can be useful to have a card i.e. not need to purchase a new one up there, but not keep money on it because it's so rarely used. I'd like to do this too. But usually end up keeping £5-£10 on my card. Can sometimes go over a year between uses.

Indeed, I'd only ever use it if I was staying overnight in London as I use Network Card discounted paper tickets for day trips. Not all my cards are contactless either so it would be a backup option.

Must be some technical limitation as to why they need to deactivate it after a refund from a ticket machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure