Student Loans repayment details - 3rd party support

Chaffymars
Chaffymars Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 12 September 2015 at 12:42PM in Student MoneySaving
Hi all, hoping someone can provide a some clarification..

I've recently received a letter from the SLC with a request regarding my student loan repayment; I am currently unemployed and living at home with my parents so obviously this falls under third party support. The letter asks:

"Have your third party complete the third party declaration on the form and provide evidence of the support they provide you. For example, copies of your bank statements dated within the last three months. The bank statement must show your name and the funds you're living from"

But I'm confused - my name isn't on my parent's banks statements. The details form for the third party to fill in seems to assume I'm given weekly/monthly amounts by them when I'm not, so I'm unsure of what the SLC is asking for in particular. The last time I needed to fill in a form like this, all that was required was a letter signed & dated by a third party confirming that they were financially supporting me. In fact, this is all the enclosed instructions seem to ask for, but the Evidence Info sheet and Confirmation of Customer Details form say different.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Delish
    Delish Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2015 at 9:00AM
    According to their website it's either "copies of your bank statements" OR "Third Party Declaration on the CNCD form"

I'm not allowed to post links. Replace * with w . Replace brackets with dots.
    ***)studentloanrepayment)co)uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,7950694&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
    If you receive a Confirmation of Customer Details form (CNCD), you’ll need to complete and return this form.
    This makes sure that everything is in place for you to repay your student loans when you’re living in the UK.
    No evidence is required unless you’re self-employed and do not currently have a Unique Tax Payer Reference (UTR) number. In these circumstances you must provide us with either:
    • copies of your bank statements dated within the last three months, showing your name and the funds you’re living from; or
    • if you’re being supported by a third party, they’ll need to complete the Third Party Declaration on the CNCD form.
    I'm not allowed to post links. Replace * with w . Replace brackets with dots.
    ***)studentloanrepayment)co)uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,7950696&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
    I'm living from savings

If you’re living from savings, you’ll need to send a clear photocopy of a bank statement, showing your name and the funds you’re living from. This must be dated within the last 3 months.
    When we process your complete form, we’ll update your records to show that no repayments are required at this time.
    If you have any questions about the Confirmation of Customer Details form or on the evidence required, call us on: 0300 100 0611 (Mon – Fri 8am - 8pm).
    I'm supported by someone else

If you’re supported financially by someone else, have that person complete the Third Party Declaration on the form.
    When we process your complete form, we’ll update your records to show that no repayments are required at this time.
    If you have any questions about the Confirmation of Customer Details form or on the evidence required, call us on: 0300 100 0611 (Mon – Fri 8am - 8pm).
    That's just how I'm seeing it. I may be wrong and there could be an error on their webpages, I am only stating what I see on their web pages. Any further information updates/changes or clarifications would be appreciated.
  • I have the exact same problem right now, and I'm unsure on what evidence I should send.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I had to do this ~ a year ago and all I did was get my mum to sign a letter confirming that she was supporting me. They left me alone after that.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Masomnia wrote: »
    I had to do this ~ a year ago and all I did was get my mum to sign a letter confirming that she was supporting me. They left me alone after that.

Yeah they've changed it this year so it asks you to write down an allowance you've been paid and supply evidence from your bank account of money going in, which is weird since many people who are supported by a parent will not actually be being paid money from their parents directly.
  • What did you end up doing, I'm in the same situation, they're asking for total amount of support from parents (third party) - I live with them, not getting a particular amount :) - and when it comes to evidence what did you end up sending - parents bank statement (which obviously doesn't have your name on it)?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,829
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    They are just asking for validation that you are being supported rather than having a non declared income.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I really despise them.

Imagine getting a letter from your bank saying 'Prove you don't owe us any money.' It wouldn't be acceptable.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2017 at 1:05PM
    My wife has just had one of these letters. It has me spitting blood.

So HRMC are happy that she isn't working at the moment but this lot want me to send evidence that I support my wife. Basically our joint bank statement.

My wife is a full time mum to our daughter who we decided she would look after after we worked out that going back to work she would earn about £2 an hour after we paid the child care.

This got me angry about another issue

We get no child benifit as I am over the threshold it winds me up no end that we can't combine our allowance and that a couple both working can earn way more than I do combined and get the tax breaks.

You might think who is this * moaning about being a higher tax earner but this is in London where a mortgage on a very modest home uses up the majority of this income and this is a joke

"However, if both you and your partner have an income just below the £50,000 limit, you'll still continue to receive the full amount of Child Benefit and won't have to pay any extra tax. If both and your partner have an income over £50,000, whoever has the higher income will have to pay the extra tax."

So a household can earn £99,999 a year and get credits but I don't earning a bit over half of this amount!

Anyway I am totally raging at them and our government making it criminal to chose to stay home and look after a child.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    "Criminal" seems to be something of an overreaction!

If you are only just over the threshold then a small pension contribution may take you under and allow you to claim again.
  • dave82_2
    dave82_2 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2017 at 12:50PM
    agrinnall wrote: »
    "Criminal" seems to be something of an overreaction!

If you are only just over the threshold then a small pension contribution may take you under and allow you to claim again.

It is an overreaction you are right :rotfl: but as I say they wound me up big time and when you get red letters making out like we are doing something wrong it's just not on.

Sometimes it just helps to have a rant and breath...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure