Investment advice for person panicking about Brexit

Comments

• Sorry, @ruthcain1. You are right that some of the posts can seem to be a bit hard and, when you've come for advice, it does feel a bit off-putting. Nice to see that some users have sent you private messages of support; personally I think those messages should be public - even if they do divert the thread a little.

I'm sorry to hear about your health concerns and am wondering about your pension provision? Do you have a pension that would pay you out if you had to retire on ill-health grounds in the near future and (despite the fact that we don't know how your health problem will change over time) is there enough in it to support you in the longer-term?

You may be able to realise some of your gains (careful of CGT) and slide that into a pension for some added tax relief too.

Finally, notwithstanding the fact you have been put off by some posts here, there is some advice contained that may still be useful to you.

Best of luck with your health and for the future.
  • ruthcain1
    ruthcain1 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Hi Terry, thanks. I agree the advice is useful and it's best I just ignore issues of delivery!!

I pay into have a work pension, that used to be excellent but is now not great thanks to various cuts. I don't know if it will pay me out in future if I go off sick completely. I was planning to cut down on work rather than not work at all and to try to pick up some bits of freelancing etc in my field. So I can't predict right now what income will be at any given stage. This is why I thought I'd better get some advice on what to do with what I've got.

I have read that I could wrap up my investments into a SIPP but need to do more research as to a. how to do this and b. if I can do it tax free given I already have a workplace pension.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ruth, you might want to re-consider saying that you have done well with your investments. If you had invested in, say, Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 three years ago you would have made over 50% by now. Even more reason that you are right (without realising it) to change your strategy. And if you want to benefit from views which might help you do that, please stop harking on at people who are telling you a few home truths about investing.
  • ruthcain1
    edited 7 August 2018 at 9:29PM
    Why on earth would I act the same when giving advice as when seeking it?

Family law isn't your field (unless you're claiming to be an expert in that field too? Wouldn't surprise me) and if you asked my advice I would be polite and considerate. Which I doubt is something you understand or are capable of.

For a start, people asking for help don't usually act like grouchy old gits who've had one too many in the sun. Enjoy your evening, Victor :D
  • ruthcain1
    Duh. I am not saying I did well. I am saying I was lucky to make gains when I didn't have a clue what I was doing.
    Exactly what you charming lot on here are telling me.

At least some of you are decent and polite, although some seem to be too intimidated by you bunch of grouches to post publicly.
  • ruthcain1
    Several people told me the same home truths. It's very useful to hear them. My point is that some were polite and some weren't. And I'll say what I like on here thanks, given that you lot clearly do :D Clearly no one is obliged to reply.

Next time I'll use a different name though, as I suspect grudges are held.
  • ruthcain1
    And yes of course I realise I'm right to change my strategy. Why else would I be trying to change it?
  • ruthcain1
    You do not post neutrally, sir... I've noticed you on other threads being rude, arrogant and unnecessarily grumpy, and so have others who have pm'd me. Time to tone it down a bit maybe?
  • ruthcain1
    Anyway will delete this userID and use another one for further advice if I come back here :D

The people who gave the best advice were the least rude, btw. None of the rude grouches said anything that wasn't said by eg Alexland in a far more constructive way.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ruthcain1 wrote: »
    Why on earth would I act the same when giving advice as when seeking it?
    Go on Ruth - amuse me by explaining that, perhaps taking into account the difference between a client paying a professional for advice, and a petitioner asking for free input on a forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure