PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Comments

• Farmers on the news explaining problems with feeding dairy cattle, not to do with Brexit it is the hot weather and no grass so feeding them what should have been winter feed. I wonder if we will have problems with dairy produce soon. Cheese gives me migraine so I'm not worried about that (sympathy to cheese lovers) but I need milk for my tea. Maybe it would be a good idea to buy some of the longlife stuff? Better than nothing.

I often make yogurt, I just use a spoonful of a live yogurt if I've run out, put it in some warm milk and pop it in the airing cupboard. Nice fresh yogurt for breakfast. If you keep some you can use it to start the next batch.
  • Yes they do FUDDLE but they sometimes start to bulk up when they get some rain, particularly maincrop potatoes.

Thanking people is a personal choice, I thank most because I appreciate their input and it only seems polite, but that's just me.

One thing I haven't seen on the list of things to stock up on is instant mash which is really useful as a carrier for flavours of things you don't have much of. DD1 is involved with D of E at the school she teaches at and it's one of the things they suggest for the expeditions and she adds in tomato ketchup, baked beans, grated cheese and it makes a quick and tasty meal with energy value for the next part of the trek.

Decades since I had Smash, is it still going or is there a fancy new one? I need potatoes to live even more than I need milk.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Decades since I had Smash, is it still going or is there a fancy new one? I need potatoes to live even more than I need milk.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?query=potato&store=Tesco&_fcategory=Instant_Mashed_Potatoes
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Decades since I had Smash, is it still going or is there a fancy new one? I need potatoes to live even more than I need milk.

Ugh. Vile stuff. I'd kill people with my bare hands before I lose real spuds.

Disclaimer: not really.

I'd fight them, though.

Despite all the advice from experts that it's not a good idea, I shove green and sprouting spuds into the garden on the offchance that they grow (I vary the location and don't pester them at all, usually getting at least a few meals for free that way).

New thing to think about. Pest control.

I've just thrown out far too much cash in the form of baking ingredients - flour, dried fruit, etc - because Himself didn't realise that my glass jars were for protecting our foodstuffs, not for decoration and as a result, the packets he'd left open were full of moths.

He's now scrubbing the cupboard, washing sticky jars and has promised he won't ever do it again, especially when I showed him (nicely, you catch more flies with honey than sugar - or in our case, more Mediterranean Flour Moths with a six month old open packet of Rich Tea Biscuits, three open bags of four, two types of sugar and some dried fruit :eek: than you do with nice sealed glass jars :cool:).

Apart from the obvious of threatening to make him eat things with bugs in if he ever does it again, keeping stuff in the intended sealed/moth proof storage/keeping the cupboard cleaner, are there any ways that don't involve poisoning myself with chemicals I don't want in the house as they also kill the handy spiders that live around my window, along with occasional lost bees and other pollinators?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    The fact that a First World country could contemplate that their people should prep for Brexit says it all to me.

Honestly. It is bizarre.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I buy Sainsbugs instant mash, its fine if you add a good bit of butter. I make them into duchesse potatoes (one just couldn't possibly eat plain peasant mash mash darling, could one)
  • I like Mr Mash which I get at Home Bargains, it has a better flavour and is flakes rather than powder. It's useful for D of E as it's light for the kids to carry and they take a small jar of tomato puree to add to it and two cheese triangles per person to stir through it as well as a tin of baked beans. They seem to like it!
  • Helebore
    Helebore Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I found 'oatly' milk ok in tea, and I like a strong tea with no sugar. I was quite surprised, after trying almond/soya et al. Just the normal oatly, not the 'barista', that was like drinking cold porridge!
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mardatha wrote: »
    I buy Sainsbugs instant mash, its fine if you add a good bit of butter. I make them into duchesse potatoes (one just couldn't possibly eat plain peasant mash mash darling, could one)

I can do peasant!Eat owt if yer hungry.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    mardatha wrote: »

I love duchesse potatoes.....my other posh potato dish is Potato Dauphinose. And I'm quite partial to colcannon.

Oh stop it. :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure