PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    cuddlymarm wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I’m not doing a main shop this week but needed fruit, salad and yoghurt. Also MrTs have corned beef on offer so I bought 2 cans and 2cans of tuna. I’m stocking up gradually and rotating my stocks as I go.
    Our problem is that due to a greedy landlord our Tesco extra, Boots and a mobile phone store are all moving out of our small town. The trouble is is as names move out they are replaced by charity shops, or short term cheap shops so the place will look like a ghost town in winter.
    Anyway enough of that for now
    Cuddles

Is that Cleveleys? Saw something in Blackpool Gazette.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) This afto someone I know nipped into Farmious Foodius and came back much later than expected - full of folk buying case deals on fizzy pop, apparently. Think it's heat-related not brexity.

I have added 12 barrows, each weighing 65 kg at my best estimate, of spent barley grains to Plot2, 9 last night and 3 today. Also some hops. These are from the indy organic brew-pub, a place with a national rep among folk who're into these things.

Their arrival is erratic, I am often left behind as am at work when deliveries happen, but got luck for once. Plot2 hasn't ever been grained but I am preparing the 2019 potato patch and am planning a bumper harvest.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How are your tatties GQ? are they effing?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    How are your tatties GQ? are they effing?
    :D Some meet that criteria!

For those who are scratching their heads, maryb is referring to something I posted years ago, when two yoofs passing on the street as I was harvesting spuds of exceptional caliber, remarked to themselves Wouldja look at the size of those effing things!

'Twas a remarkable year, one of the spuds weighed over a kilo and several of them were enough to feed four hungry adults. Effing potatoes has since become a way of indicating the GQ Farm has produced some more monsters.:rotfl:

Hmm, 2 kg of seed spuds went in of each of the following varieties; Kestrel & Maris Peer - both 2nd earlies - and another 2 kg of Desiree (main crop). All growing side by side in heavily-grained soil. Results to date (there [STRIKE]may[/STRIKE] will be some still in the soil), are 26.5 kg, 11 kg and 15.5 kg respectively. Kestrel wins hands-down and is a very successful variety on my soil.

Not bad for nil watering in a multi-week drought. There were also a few dead losses as slugs had got into them and hollowed them out, plus several strung on couch grass roots like beads on a string.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Carlislelass
    Yes unfortunately it is. Such a shame, it will really affect the town.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    Not sure if people are starting to stock up / panic buy but our Sainsburys, which is normally kept quite well stocked up, was right out of granulated sugar this morning, and there wasn't much of any other type on the shelves either. I needed some - we don't use much sugar, but my jar was empty - so I had to buy one of the few packets of Billingtons that were on the shelf. It cost £2, for less in weight than the 70p own brand would have been, had they had any :eek:

I saw this same thing mentioned on another forum. Apparently Sainsburys have a "supplier issue" due to pieces of metal being found in some packets of granulated sugar. I suppose people who couldn't get the granulated sugar they wanted chose to buy a different sort rather than try a different store.
    Apparently there was plenty in Morrison's when the poster tried there :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    Think it's heat-related not brexity.

Could be CO2 related.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    For those who are scratching their heads, maryb is referring to something I posted years ago, when two yoofs passing on the street as I was harvesting spuds of exceptional caliber, remarked to themselves Wouldja look at the size of those effing things!

I thought it might be related to Sir Rodney Ffing. :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Following on from that LED lamp test I did recently, a question comes to mind.

Aside from romantic meals, has the candle become obsolete, as a method of lighting?
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    I saw this same thing mentioned on another forum. Apparently Sainsburys have a "supplier issue" due to pieces of metal being found in some packets of granulated sugar. I suppose people who couldn't get the granulated sugar they wanted chose to buy a different sort rather than try a different store.
    Apparently there was plenty in Morrison's when the poster tried there :)

That is useful to know. Thank you Ivyleaf. Not sure why the supermarket in question couldn't have put up a notice, or even informed their staff, as when I asked her, the checkout assistant didn't know why the shelves were empty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure