Economy Energy - Shortfall Payment Demand

I received this e-mail from Economy Energy early this afternoon. Has anybody else received something like this? I don't understand why there is a shortfall when I'm paying by direct debit?

Hi BradE,

At Economy Energy as part of our service to you, we regularly review your account to make sure you're paying the right amount for the gas that you're using.

We've looked at your payments against your energy use and in line with the fact that your tariff is due to end in January 2019 this leaves a shortfall in the amount that you will have paid for your energy. The best way to sort this out would be for us to take a one off payment of £242.00 to ensure that you are not behind. This payment will be taken on/after 19/12/2018

There will be no change to your regular monthly Direct Debit payment date or amount, so you do not need to take any action.

For more information on your Direct Debit guarantee Click Here

Remember submitting regular monthly meter reads will help to keep your account accurate and up to date.

If you also have Electricity with Economy Energy you will be notified about any changes separately.

Many thanks for your time

Economy Energy

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I believe I read they are another one in financial dire straits.

Not had that email here, as I should have another year & a half fix with them. (I wonder if the firm will last that long.)
  • Yes, I have received an email from ToTo Energy with similar content even tho I'm in credit and monitoring my consumption via a Smart Meter so I know exactly how my account is running.........
  • I have been trying to get over £100 due back to me since I switched accounts - using moneysavingexpert of course, since the end of July. This lot are just a bunch of thieves. Don't use them, avoid like plague. Other fora show customers having the same difficulties.

I shall take them to court now.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The direct debit is normally calculated once per year, based on your previous usage. They pick an amount which should leave you with a pretty near zero balance at the end of the 12 month period, and then try to avoid changing it again until the next review.

But that doesn't work if you are using more energy than last year - you could end up with a significant shortfall. Most companies would just increase your direct debit to bring it back in to line again.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure