Failed Payment Promise

Options
Hi,

Our energy provider went bust so we were contacted by a company dealing with that companies credits and debits. We were told we owed £182 as our monthly payments did not cover the energy usage which was fine and I asked if I could pay later in the month when I got paid, they said this was fine also.

I then forgot all about the payment and have since got a letter with an Administration Charge of £25 added to the amount I owe.

Basically, I want to know if they can actually do this, there was no warning they would impose an extra charge if I didn't pay the bill when I said I would, I have had no warning letters or anything.

I only got this letter on Friday so I have not yet paid this.

Thanks,

Wayne

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

You need to look at the terms and conditions of the company concerned.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to make an admin charge when you have failed to honour an agreement.

This is the link for British Gas terms and conditions:

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/standard/terms.html

Amongst the many conditions:

Charges that aren't in our tariffs

2.4 We can also charge you for reasonable costs that aren't included in our tariffs. These can include costs arising from the following.
    Trying to get back money you owe us. These costs include reasonable administration costs, as well as, for example, the cost of trying to contact you, visiting you, getting a warrant to enter your property and installing a prepayment meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure