Pellet is the way forwards!

Options
We are going to move into a new house and have done a lot of research regarding how we wish to heat up the place. There is an old coal Rayburn, which we would like to replace. The house is heated with an oil boiler, and has a hot water tank.

We are thinking of installing the Klover Smart 120 BT instead of the Rayburn. It runs on pellets, outputs 17KW for the central heating and Domestic hot water, has massive cooking plate on top, good size oven, behaves like a Rayburn in the feel and heat given to the room and also has the added benefit of having a glass door through which the fire can be seen. It seems very well built, attractive in desgin and generally makes a lot of sense!

The machine needs refiling with pellets every 2-3 days, emptying the ash pan once a week and cleaning (hoovering the ash) every other month.

I cannot post links, but if you Google it it will come up first.

What do you think?

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm. I'd stick with the Rayburn.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depends how long you're intending to own the house.

We had an old oil-fired Aga for the first years here and looked-into a pellet boiler, but the extra installation cost over oil would have taken years to recoup. We have alternative cheap energy sources, like wood, so we just went with an oil boiler.

I don't know about the Klover, but having an Aga belting out heat when it wasn't needed in winter was a pain in the butt. Sometimes we were getting so much solar gain, even February, that we'd have to open the windows wide just to get rid of the unwanted heat! I'd hope and expect controllability is better than that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure