Waspi trying to maximise state pension

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    gall10 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Yes I’ve checked my online state pension forecast. I have been contracted in since January 2016. Hope to finish work completely at end of this tax year. Hoping to pay ? Voluntary class 2(or is it 3) until state retirement age. I think I can ‘sign on ‘ for JSA -won’t get any financial reward but will get NI contributions?? Yes I’ll have to apply for jobs-but will anyone employ a 63 yr old female with no qualifications or skills!!!

Why not ask to reduce your hours and work part time. That way you'll increase both your state and scheme pension.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,250
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thought my wink emoji thing showed this was tongue in cheek! Always someone here bemoaning public sector pensions!

Far from it, I contribute to a PS scheme as does my wife.

As you didn't seen to understand that you were better off overall by being contracted out I was highlighting the fact that you were.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes I’ll have to apply for jobs-but will anyone employ a 63 yr old female with no qualifications or skills!!!

Yes (although I don't believe you have NO skills if you've lived til 63 :-)
    Plenty of women in their 60's working in chip shops, hospitals, supermarkets, shops.
    Do you have the skills to made tea, walk with a trolley and hand out drinks to people in hospital?

Unless you are physically disabled I can think of loads of things you could do.
  • gall10
    gall10 Posts: 7 Forumite
    JSA..I wouldn’t say I have no intention of ever working again...just not full time in my current post, and part time here isn’t an option. I’d be happy to job-seek. JSA also gives NI credits.
  • gall10
    gall10 Posts: 7 Forumite
    I don’t think there’s many hospitals left where the employ people to ‘walk about with a tea trolley’ when did you last work in the modern NHS!!!
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don’t think there’s many hospitals left where the employ people to ‘walk about with a tea trolley’ when did you last work in the modern NHS!!!

Our local NHS hospital employs people to distribute tea to patients. They have a remarkable skill at putting the tea down in such a place that a bed-bound invalid can't reach it. Indeed, they are multi-skilled; they can pull the same trick with food.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • gall10 wrote: »

Either Kidmugsy and I have been to the same hospital recently or someone walking about with the tea trolley is more common than you might think.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So after 2017/18 you will need a further 6 or 7 yrs to top up to the £164.35 max. Do you have scope for that re your state pension date being after 5th April 2024?
  • State retirement date Oct ‘22. Not sure if I can pay NI after that???
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2018 at 11:27AM
    State retirement date Oct ‘22. Not sure if I can pay NI after that???

You'll only be able to pay up to and including full financial year April 2021/April 2022.

ADD: Before someone picks me up on it, DWP may accept your payments from April 2022 to October 2022 - but they won't add a further penny to your State pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure