Add your feedback on energy supplier iSupply

Comments

• footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    OK, so my second year with this supplier so I think I can be objective about them.

On the positive side, they are generally cheap (as long as you agree to one of their fixed tariffs, which you must do in year 1)

However that cheapness obviously is achieved by cutting their own costs to the bone.

That means they prefer you contacting them via their online messaging system. This allows them to answer queries in their own time - typically 2-3 working days. Actually they seem to hit them in bursts; Friday afternoon being a typical time they try to clear the queries.

(You are sent an email whenever they post a message to your online account. Similarly you get an email whenever they post a new bill/statement to your account, usually every 3 months)

Unfortunately, their online messaging system is cumbersome. First of all you have to view their online FAQ's to see if there is already an answer, and only then if you are still unhappy can you raise a query.

The title of the query is auto set based on the FAQ you asked from (so may not be too relevant to your actual question)
    Their response, may use a different title. When they respond, they decide whether or not you can reply to that response.
    If not, (which appears to be the default) you have to start again including going through the FAQs first.
    If you do get the option to reply (rare) then the reply you send takes some time to appear in your sent box, so you might think it hasn't actually been sent.

Furthermore, their system may time you out, so having spent some time carefully composing your question, you lose it all when you try to submit it only to be faced with the login screen. So best to compose you question elsewhere first & then copy & paste it.

Oh, and if you use a rare 'reply' option more than once, you may not get any response after the first time
    (e.g. you send a question, they reply and elect to give you the opportunity to reply, you reply to their, they then reply to that reply but without giving a further opportunity to reply again. If you try to re-use the earlier reply option, don't expect a further reply.)

By the replies received, I would suggest the staff are probably paid peanuts (again keeping their costs to a minimum), and also have little time to respond.

Don't ask long questions - the reply will be short (and often not too sweet).

If you ask more than one question, the reply may only cover one question.

If the question is too difficult, then the reply may not actually answer the question at all. If you ask the same question, expect the same reply (even if you state the previous reply does not address the question raised).

You never really know who is answering a question. Is it the same person or different people. No mention is made of who is actually providing the response.

Their complaint procedure also essentially uses the same online messaging system, so it could well be the same person answering.
    (I must say by they style and tone of responses received, I suspect it could be just one person at their end)

Responses received may well contradict earlier messages received. Try not to highlight these contradictions to them as it only serves to confuse them further, and I suspect wind them up.

So there you have it. You pay peanuts so expect to be served by those that like peanuts.

If you want better service, pay more elsewhere. But it's the same electricity wherever you buy it from.

Low prices don't necessarily mean bad service. I'm with a low priced gas supplier and they have excellent customer service, albeit in their own time via email.

But with iSupplyEnergy it is clear the cost cutting they have done to provide the low prices they offer.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May 2015 at 12:01PM
    Sandinsun wrote: »
    I have been a customer for a year now and am currently £391.00 in credit according to my last statement using their figures! Strangely other online statements showing a credit of £606.00 have disappeared since they had my reading validated.
    I have been trying to get a refund for the last month and seem to be caught in a loop of e mails and delaying tactics. The latest being to claim a refund online under the 'Your Direct Debit Status' of the control panel. Having attempted to do this I'm informed I have no direct debit with them. This is strange since they are taking money out of my account every month!
    I have fired off another e mail this morning and am waiting for a reply.

Are you still a customer of theirs?

If so, their FAQs don't say you can have a refund, but do say you could use an accrued balance to reduce your monthly payments.

They have introduced the ability to change your DD monthly payments yourself (although dependent on your particular situation, it may say when you go into that that you are currently ineligble to change your monthly DD).
    I think this is the area you have tried to access, but you have hit the issue that it says you have no montly DD set up at all.
    But it that area thinks there is no current DD set up, yet presumably has a annual consumption cost, then can you not simply attempt to set a monthly DD?
    (It's not correct, but it might work :))

Unfortunately, there are a number of places that their systems do not correctly interact and hence show incorrect information.

If you have messaged them requesting the accrued balance is used to reduce your monthly payments, they should be able to sort something out for you :)
    (Just don't expect it to necessarily be reflected online)

Online statements should not be disappearing. I have mine available since I joined them over 12 months ago. Similarly, all credits remain showing on your online account.
    If you have requested a new fixed tariff, you may need to look under closed accounts to find the archived info.

Better still, don't rely on a supplier to hold your invoices - always keep a copy for yourself.
  • Have just received my refund ! I did point out in my last e mail that I couldn't understand why the employees of this company seem to go to great lengths to hold onto customers money for the benefit of the company and were not actually benefiting themselves. I also pointed out that they would be doing themselves a disservice because more customers would switch and they could lose their jobs!

Now I'm going to switch.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sandinsun wrote: »

Now I'm going to switch.

That'll cost you. :eek:

... unless you have let the supply go onto their variable tariff which means it's already costing you ;)
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 July 2015 at 2:36PM
    Further to my post#62 above, I have now found some interesting statistics regarding isupply complaints.

Over the last year the number of complaints they have received per 100,000 customers has more than quadrupled! :eek:
    https://www.isupplyenergy.co.uk/ComplaintsReports.aspx

(It's about 8-fold in real terms due to an increase in customer numbers)

It seems they are only targeting keeping the percentage resolved within 8 weeks as high as possible.

Interestingly, to this end, they called (yes called, not messaged) exactly 8 weeks from me raising a complaint against them (and not hearing a peep from them for about the last 7 weeks) were clearly hoping to close the complaint.

So, unless this is pure coincidence, presumably they do have some good complaint monitoring process in place.

But all that it effectively has done has reminded me that the 8 weeks is now up, and with no resolution in sight, it's probably now time to go off to the ombudsman for assistance.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2015 at 2:17PM
    Bad, bad, bad. Did I say BAD?

Problems I am having with isupplyenergy as I write this:

(1) Over-charging by monthly direct debit: I'm paying double what I need to pay. The only resolution offered is a refund of £16 but I won't be able to claim another refund within 4 weeks. Refusal to amend the direct debit amount on the grounds that my electricity consumption may increase. By the end of the 12 months with them I expect to be in credit by at least £240.00.

(2) Failure to respond to an online secure message about a change of bank account re. direct debits and not providing any alternative means of contact. When I telephone them I'm told to use secure messaging on their website.

(3) Failure to arrange for meters to be read, requiring me to read my own meter and then estimating the reading which falsely fluctuates my reading and the amount charged. That's notwithstanding that they claim my readings to be "validated".

Overall, I get the feeling that I'm being mugged! I'll be changing supplier, paying the £30 for switching early and putting it all down to bad experience. Maybe it's just that I'm in the middle of a nightmare!
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 July 2015 at 1:06PM
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Bad, bad, bad. Did I say BAD?

Problems I am having with isupplyenergy as I write this:

(1) Over-charging by monthly direct debit: I'm paying double what I need to pay. The only resolution offered is a refund of £16 but I won't be able to claim another refund within 4 weeks. Refusal to amend the direct debit amount on the grounds that my electricity consumption may increase. By the end of the 12 months with them I expect to be in credit by at least £240.00.

(2) Failure to respond to an online secure message about a change of bank account re. direct debits and not providing any alternative means of contact. When I telephone them I'm told to use secure messaging on their website.

(3) Failure to arrange for meters to be read, requiring me to read my own meter and then estimating the reading which falsely fluctuates my reading and the amount charged. That's notwithstanding that they claim my readings to be "validated".

Overall, I get the feeling that I'm being mugged! I'll be changing supplier, paying the £30 for switching early and putting it all down to bad experience. Maybe it's just that I'm in the middle of a nightmare!

1. Sorry, but it sounds like you have not convinced them of your anticipated usage.
    You may be predicting a £240 credit by year end, but what do they predict as shown on your online account?

2. As per ther FAQs on their website, you have to provide change of bank details via secure messaging using your online account. It can take several days for them to respond. They are a cheap supplier and expect you to manage your account online.

3. As I mentioned, they are a cheap supplier. They expect you to supply your own meter readings which you do via your online account. They have always used my readings in billing (after they have been validated). Of course, unless you happen to supply a meter reading on the exat day they bill you, then the will also estimate up to that billing date ... but will also use the validated readings you have previously supplied.
    (that's how they do it for me)

It's not like they don't explain all this on their website:
    All iSupplyEnergy customers have access to their online account, which enables them to manage all elements of their account. However, as a bare minimum we would expect our customers to enter meter readings quarterly and contact us if there are any issues with direct debits.
    http://www.isupplyenergy.co.uk/AskUsAQuestion.aspx
  • Anthorn
    edited 22 July 2015 at 6:28PM
    footyguy wrote: »
    1. Sorry, but it sounds like you have not convinced them of your anticipated usage.
    You may be predicting a £240 credit by year end, but what do they predict as shown on your online account?

2. As per ther FAQs on their website, you have to provide change of bank details via secure messaging using your online account. It can take several days for them to respond. They are a cheap supplier and expect you to manage your account online.

3. As I mentioned, they are a cheap supplier. They expect you to supply your own meter readings which you do via your online account. They have always used my readings in billing (after they have been validated). Of course, unless you happen to supply a meter reading on the exat day they bill you, then the will also estimate up to that billing date ... but will also use the validated readings you have previously supplied.
    (that's how they do it for me)

It's not like they don't explain all this on their website:
    http://www.isupplyenergy.co.uk/AskUsAQuestion.aspx

1. There is no estimated useage in my account on their website. Currently, allowing for the latest direct debit charge added to the credit balance on my last bill I am £187.32 in credit. My estmate of £240 credit after 12 months is therefore conservative. Their reason for refusing a reduction is that it would involve a substantial reduction. Well, of course it would.

2. My complaint was not that bank details have to be made by secure messages but that there is no other means of contact. When secure messaging fails or more likely they don't reply I'm struck dumb!

3. Yes they are a cheap supplier but at a cost. The first complaint about them was listed in this thread more than two years ago and I posted the same complaints almost to the letter. They should have done something about their putrid customer service by now but not so.

Edit: I received an email telling me a secure message was waiting for me. Woot I can now give them my new bank details ... or so I thought. Now how do I contact them to tell them about the error?

6JjAtYe.jpg
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anthorn wrote: »
    1. There is no estimated useage in my account on their website. Currently, allowing for the latest direct debit charge added to the credit balance on my last bill I am £187.32 in credit. My estmate of £240 credit after 12 months is therefore conservative. Their reason for refusing a reduction is that it would involve a substantial reduction. Well, of course it would.

2. My complaint was not that bank details have to be made by secure messages but that there is no other means of contact. When secure messaging fails or more likely they don't reply I'm struck dumb!

3. Yes they are a cheap supplier but at a cost. The first complaint about them was listed in this thread more than two years ago and I posted the same complaints almost to the letter. They should have done something about their putrid customer service by now but not so.

Edit: I received an email telling me a secure message was waiting for me. Woot I can now give them my new bank details ... or so I thought. Now how do I contact them to tell them about the error?

6JjAtYe.jpg

1. That's right, your online account only shows actual meter readings, but your bills will be based partially on estimated readings as I explained.

2. They are predominantly an on-line supplier, but as you already know, you can also phone them. (but not to supply new bank details)

3. I';m not a great fan of their CS as my posts above should indicate, but they are cheap and so I suppose you should expect to get what you pay for. Their electricity is exactly the same as any one else's , only cheaper :money:

Your edit: Err, by phone? (as you already know of) ;)
    But worth checking you are still fully logged in - that could be the problem based on the error message.
  • Anthorn
    footyguy wrote: »
    1. That's right, your online account only shows actual meter readings, but your bills will be based partially on estimated readings as I explained.

2. They are predominantly an on-line supplier, but as you already know, you can also phone them. (but not to supply new bank details)

3. I';m not a great fan of their CS as my posts above should indicate, but they are cheap and so I suppose you should expect to get what you pay for. Their electricity is exactly the same as any one else's , only cheaper :money:

Your edit: Err, by phone? (as you already know of) ;)
    But worth checking you are still fully logged in - that could be the problem based on the error message.

Er ... no ... their customer service number has a recorded message to use online secure messages and they don't answer the phone.

I've logged off and on 3 times so far. But I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt and I'll try again tomorrow.

It might be fun to let the contract run its course, Then I can say, "Why am I switching? Well, I've been trying to change my bank details for 7 months without success. Is that enough reason or do you want more?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure