PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New House Boundary Issue

Comments

• The snake slithered over the sliver of land. Oooh! Slither is a good word I've not heard/used in a long time.

Makes me quiver! :D
  • Cloud7
    Cloud7 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2018 at 7:33PM
    Line of sight has been mentioned as the justification, within the letter.

Also next doors plan does seem to indicate that thinking from the amount of land indicated to them of what they will lose.

There have also already been accidents on the road as a result....

I would also like to add from an outside perspective it may seem trivial, it's the principal of buying something, only to find you don't actually own what you thought you did.

You wouldn't go into a shop to buy a cake, pay the full asking price only for the shop assistant to come running out a few minutes later, cut a piece off your cake and says actually you don't own that bit.
    We can all minimise and diminish what others are going through until it affects us can't we.

I appreciate people want to make fun, I'm on here to get some help not to be badgered for slight use of English.
  • Badger50
    Badger50 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Ask for compensation. The area sounds like about 1.5 sq metres, so worth maybe £1000. Their lawyers would probably advise them to settle for that to avoid a dispute (which they would probably win but would prefer to avoid).
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The snake slithered over the sliver of land. Oooh! Slither is a good word I've not heard/used in a long time.

Makes me quiver! :D

Really? I use it all the time :)

PS - The land belongs to me - I'm taking over one slither at a time.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,781 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Cloud7 wrote: »
    You wouldn't go into a shop to buy a cake, pay the full asking price only for the shop assistant to come running out a few minutes later, cut a piece off your cake and says actually you don't own that bit.

Except from your initial post, what you appeared to have done is gone into a shop and bought a cake with the proviso that the shop assistant could amend the edges of that cake at any point in the future .......
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I suspect they were aware of this issue when they sold your house, and hoped it would go away and they would get away without making the change, but inserted the clause in case they were forced to alter the road.

Yes it is annoying but at least nothing to worry about. It would only affect the value of the house if it made your drive shorter for instance so now you could only park 1 car where you could have parked 2 before.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Except from your initial post, what you appeared to have done is gone into a shop and bought a cake with the proviso that the shop assistant could amend the edges of that cake at any point in the future .......
    Indeed, you can't agree to this sort of thing in a contract and then be surprised when the developer tries to exercise their rights under the clause.

The other thing to bear in mind is that this almost certainly is a planning requirement, and (probably) an obligation of the developer in your contract is to develop in accordance with the planning consent. You don't really want to obstruct them from doing so.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it is so that the council can adopt the road, then its unlikely to be the "ransom strip" that people have mentioned. Councils tend to have provisos such as amount of space going round corners because they will need to cater for refuse trucks (bin waggons). Having the road adopted will probably improve your resale value than a house on an unadopted road that may deteriorate because developer doesn't want to spend cash on its upkeep. Have you looked at why the extra land is needed, is it because the council want to ensure the road is wide enough for a bus, and so improve transport links and increase the value of your house through better links.

You probably need to get clarifications on the size of the slither. Building regs now tend to have houses a certain distance from the road, so I assume even if this slither is lost, it will still conform. No one wants to lose land, but whilst your agreement states that the developer has the right to change boundaries, it does not say anything about no-compensation so as has been said that is one option.
  • nic_c wrote: »

You probably need to get clarifications on the size of the slither. Building regs now tend to have houses a certain distance from the road, so I assume even if this slither is lost, it will still conform.

That sounds worth checking on - ie what those building regs state.

Admits to following this thread with interest - because I have the original plans for my road and they show it was designed in to have a "line of sight" for vehicles coming off my property (and that "line of sight" is substantially blocked by a neighbours tall plant). Though maybe roads built a bit back and/or that are unadopted don't have any "means of enforcement"? This might be an adopted road only and/or more modern road only thing? Or - maybe there isnt any legally enforceable thing about roads like this regardless - and I wonder if that would apply to OP's road?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    That sounds worth checking on - ie what those building regs state.

Admits to following this thread with interest - because I have the original plans for my road and they show it was designed in to have a "line of sight" for vehicles coming off my property (and that "line of sight" is substantially blocked by a neighbours tall plant). Though maybe roads built a bit back and/or that are unadopted don't have any "means of enforcement"? This might be an adopted road only and/or more modern road only thing? Or - maybe there isnt any legally enforceable thing about roads like this regardless - and I wonder if that would apply to OP's road?

We are taking the tread a bit off topic.

A visibility splay is a set size depending on the speed limit on the road. When we got PP to build our house the visibility splay included parts of both of our neighbours gardens. I raised the issue about what happens if a neighbour plants a tree and blocks it and I was told if that happens, report it to highways and they will remove th obstruction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure