Average gas and electric bill?

Comments

• at the moment, our gas is £35 per week and £25 electric per week...
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Gas is by far the more expensive fuel

No it's not! Gas is half the price of electric per kw/h, maybe even cheaper depending on your tariff, but definitely NOT more expensive!
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Note that the exact same consumption (the national average of 20500/3300) can vary in price by 40%!!!! You can pay £75 on one tariff and payment method and pay £105 for the exact same consumption on a more expensive tariff!!

But for some reason a ridiculous number of people still choose to continue to pay the 40% premium.
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    People's DD will be less than what they are using due to having built up a nest of savings during the summer months to be in credit for the winter months.

We all need to read our meters often and submit to our fuel company's to keep out heads above dept.

Pre haps by investing in a home energy monitor if you do not have a given smart meter will help as it is a visual reminder that every time we switch something on we pay for it like buying something in the shops.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think you have your bills the wrong way around there. Gas is by far the more expensive fuel and you seem to be using more gas than electric.

Right way round, computers running 24/7 seem to use quite a bit.
  • KimYeovil
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mjm3346 wrote: »

Remember to check single fuel tabs on comparison sites as well as dual fuel if using a lot of electricity.
  • Mrs_Thrify
    mjm3346 wrote: »

Look into buying a Eco Button as a visual reminder to put the computer on standby every time you leave it running.
    Will help with the electric bill :)
  • KimYeovil
    Combo Breaker First Post
    julie_d wrote: »
    Look into buying a Eco Button as a visual reminder to put the computer on standby every time you leave it running.
    Will help with the electric bill :)

Not if they are servers. Not only no standby the nature of servers is they can consume hundreds of processes and hence max out CPUs and PMUs as much as any 3D renderer despite the apparent modest 'active' work they are doing.
  • Mrs_Thrify
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Not if they are servers. Not only no standby the nature of servers is they can consume hundreds of processes and hence max out CPUs and PMUs as much as any 3D renderer despite the apparent modest 'active' work they are doing.

Kim, can you explain that again in simple English.Thanks
  • Nade_2
    Nade_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    julie_d wrote: »
    Kim, can you explain that again in simple English.Thanks

They run servers at their house. Servers as being sharing files, storing files or using it as an internet web page server. You leave servers running 24/7 (or when your using them in some cases), I used to use 1 for all my movies and file hosting for work BUT my electricity became too high so it's in the cupboard.

Can anyone tell me this:

I am with E-On and I have their Pre-Payment meter with the KEY. I have just read my receipts and it seems I've been putting in £170 per month, is this right?

No way 2 people in a flat could spend this amount??:/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport