The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Where do I have my pupil distance measured?

I want to buy glasses online.

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,517
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you've got your prescription already - it might be in there already? If not, maybe you need to see if the optician who dispensed it will help you out.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,849
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 20 June 2019 at 4:03PM
    HappyUser wrote: »

I want to buy glasses online.

My husband measured mine as it’s not on your prescription usually.

The obvious answer would be to ask your optician although mine said that they are not obliged to tell you it.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    My husband measured mine as it’s not on your prescription usually.

The obvious answer would be to ask your optician although mine said that they are not obliged to tell you it.

When i went for my free works paid eye test and they asked if i was going to buy any glasses i said no(they weren't cheap) he said ok and then while waiting for the printout i asked about the PD and his reply was if i was buying glasses they would measure me and add it to the script but as i am not buyin then they are not obliged to do it.
  • sarah1972
    Senior Ambassador
    Boohoo wrote: »
    When i went for my free works paid eye test and they asked if i was going to buy any glasses i said no(they weren't cheap) he said ok and then while waiting for the printout i asked about the PD and his reply was if i was buying glasses they would measure me and add it to the script but as i am not buyin then they are not obliged to do it.

Yep exactly the same as my post, they are not obliged if you’re not buying. Easy enough to do though with a friend.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Vision Express refused to measure my Pupil Distance during my eye test and they said they would only do it if I buy glasses from them.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It usually only important if you have a high-strength prescription or require varifocals.
  • sarah1972
    Senior Ambassador
    HappyUser wrote: »
    Vision Express refused to measure my Pupil Distance during my eye test and they said they would only do it if I buy glasses from them.

Yes, as stated above, they don't have to do it.

Just get a friend to do it for you, its quite simple to do.
  • HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Is there a website or an app to scan me with the phone camera and measure my PD?
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You can do it with a ruler and a mirror, but tricky sometime depending on your prescription.

Easier to get someone else to measure it for you with the ruler

Understand parallax and make sure to look straight on at each point on the ruler.

Check nose is in the middle - if not you might want a left+right measurement rather than just the total length.
  • Ciliary Blue took the pupil measurement from the old pair of glasses I was sending to be reglazed. Excellent service from them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure