Dismissal while on long term sick

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Was the accident at work or elsewhere?

Under two years employment she has very few rights anyway. Probably best to spend her time recovering and then finding alternative employment.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    *morally fair. Because to be honest 18 months is very generous!

Thanks, I guess some employers like mine knew what brain surgery is and the impact it has on a person.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 September 2018 at 1:38PM

Why doesn't the employer need to take into consideration the OT report? Surely they have some responsibility to assist you getting back to work?

Because, unless she has a disability (for employment law purposes) they are under no legal obligation obligation to "assist you getting back to work". Even with a disability they are only obliged to make "reasonable adjustments".

Aside from any possible rights should her current medical condition amount to a disability (which seems unlikely) with less than two years employment she can be dismissed for no reason at all or for any reason providing it does not amount to unlawful discrimination. Again, no suggestion of that in what you have said.

Even if she had two years service the employer would almost certainly be within their rights to dismiss under these circumstances providing they followed proper procedure. Without two years service it is a moot point if they have followed proper procedure or not as there is no redress.

She is however entitled to a minimum of one weeks notice plus payment for all accrued holiday (roughly 1 day for each two weeks of employment).
  • Gavin83 wrote: »
    Was the accident at work or elsewhere?

Under two years employment she has very few rights anyway. Probably best to spend her time recovering and then finding alternative employment.

That makes no difference to the employer's right to dismiss.

Obviously if they do dismiss and the accident was found to be their fault it would increase the amount of any compensation awarded.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Thanks, I guess some employers like mine knew what brain surgery is and the impact it has on a person.
    That really isn't a fair comment. Your employer might have the capacity to manage a long absence. Not everyone does. Nine months is exceedingly generous; and most of those "cushy" public sector employers start dismissal at 12 months. If your employer can manage without you at work for 18 months you are very fortunate. Or easily replaceable!

I have to agree with everyone else I'm afraid. It's terrible that she's been through this accident and remarkable that she's recovered so well. But the employer had acted in a legally fair way, and, to be honest, better than the vast majority would have. In terms of legal fairness, given a correct process which had been completed, after nine months no tribunal would rule it other than fair. I raise that grew people like it when this is pointed out, and I don't mean it to be horrible to you - but employers employ people to be in work and to produce work for them. In the end, even the best employer is an employer not a charity or a social work department; and they won't wait on a return at "your" pace, but at what suits them. I work for an absolutely fabulous employer who would wait an awful long time - people have had up to two years on sick! But even they won't wait for ever, and two years is the longest they've gone.

As for changing the job description, sorry, but things move on; and here's the frequent "devil you do, devil you don't" issue that we see here all the time. Half the posters complain about the lack of contact from their employer. The other half complain about the contact!

And I doubt the employer will feel any comfort in her being possibly able to return a bit in several weeks. That's a very stretchy piece of long string! I can't imagine how much effort it will take to return to work after something like this. I am returning on Monday for a phased return after three months sick ( and an employer who is very good, and I have worked for for 30 years), but last week I went and did a half day on something I needed to be at. A half day. It nearly killed me!!! And I am by no means anywhere near the position your wife has been through. I rapidly reevaluated the amount of time I'd be in and the length of the phased return! I suspect that it will be a lot harder than you or she imagines. And given my own experience of OT and physio - significantly harder than they think!

If you feel that you have to appeal - and by that I actually mean if she feels she has to - then do it. But I wouldn't be very hopeful of the outcome. Regrettably, I think the employer had been relatively fair, and I can see their point of view. More to the point.... A tribunal would see their point of view, and in the end, it's a tribunals definition of fair that matters most.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,818 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    She did have sick pay - SSP for 6 months. Nothing toppe dup by employer though.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the cost of SSP is met directly by the employer.
  • p00hsticks wrote: »
    I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the cost of SSP is met directly by the employer.

You are correct. Until a few years ago smaller employers could indirectly reclaim the cost but not now.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That makes no difference to the employer's right to dismiss.

Obviously if they do dismiss and the accident was found to be their fault it would increase the amount of any compensation awarded.

I didn't suggest it did, hence the rest of my post that said exactly that. The primary reason I asked was for your second paragraph. I was also curious if they'd been anymore generous because they blamed themselves, even a bit.
  • One thing that you may not know, and nobody has mentioned in this thread - your wife was accruing holiday all the time she was off sick. This is one of the reasons that employers can't afford long term sickness, but you should ensure that you are paid whatever holiday pay you are due when your wife receives her final pay.

(I'm afraid I agree that the employer has been reasonable.)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    One thing that you may not know, and nobody has mentioned in this thread - your wife was accruing holiday all the time she was off sick. This is one of the reasons that employers can't afford long term sickness, but you should ensure that you are paid whatever holiday pay you are due when your wife receives her final pay.

(I'm afraid I agree that the employer has been reasonable.)

erm...post 14?
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family