DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ... oh, I should add to the 'toothless remark' about creditors / DCAs - which is true, but only up to the point they consider court action. So don't ignore those letters and if you are unlucky enough to get one of those (warning before action type letters) just send an I&E and offer of payment. That pretty much shuts them up :D
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stepchange process gone through with advisor and sending out letters soon as there's nothing to even pay an official DMP with for now. Got to sit it out for now and carry on with the job searching and fingers crossed something turns up asap.
    Bank account meeting on Thursday to set up a shiny new account - with nothing in it lol
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • Hi,

I have recently set up a dmp with SC - I have began with my first payment and received default notices from some of my creditors. I am very nervous that I will have bailiffs knocking on my door and creditors not accepting what I offer.

Can anyone put my mind at rest?!
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Options
    Bailiffs will only arrive after you get a CCJ and ignore it!

You are paying your creditors via the DMP. Even if they don’t like it or say they won’t accept it, keep paying them. They will agree in the end
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • 2017spark
    2017spark Posts: 49 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all - quick update from me :)
    In November I ended my plan with SC and went self managed. I offered £1 token payments to all creditors for 6 months and most accepted - surprisingly easily!
    I've just completed my DMP with NEDCAB and am posting the offer letters to all tomorrow - with payments starting end May - to stick with token payments for 6 months
    NEDCAB have recommended £152 split between all creditors - SC was £344!! So already I can see a huge improvement :)
    I'm going to start saving what I can now my budget is more realistic and offer settlements as I can - and also snowballing (paying any available leftovers to smallest to clear - and then next smallest - and so on....) even a couple of pounds each month will make a difference! This is something I couldn't do with SC.
    Still a huge way to go (12 creditors, owe £22.5k) but its looking more positive!!
    Thanks all for the suggestions and support :)

xx
  • 100kdeep
    100kdeep Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all
    i have been with step change since august. i pay £500 a month (i was paying £2000 before i entered dmp land).
    all my creditors have frozen interest and issued default notices (including barclays). all running smoothley. i was worried that they wouldnt play ball but they are.
    i have 10 creditors so definitely less hassle to pay one payment to step change then let them dish it out.
    it would take me 20 years to pay off at the current rate but obviously the plan is to be saving for full and finals while i keep them at bay. (i have slipped up and booked a holiday to Florida with the pot id managed to save. whoops) .
    now that they have started to pass debts on and all have frozen interest i think its time to lower what i pay them (my wife can no longer contribute what she did as her costs have gone up or summit like that). i dont really want to self manage (cause im lazy) but is it just a case of telling step change that the income on MY dmp has gone down because of wife not contributing as much. or do you think they would want to see proof of this and do a full i and e?

obviousley now wanting to think more about the saving full and finals rather than chipping at the total and want to avoid self managed as long as possible
  • kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    2017spark wrote: »
    Hello all - quick update from me :)
    In November I ended my plan with SC and went self managed. I offered £1 token payments to all creditors for 6 months and most accepted - surprisingly easily!
    I've just completed my DMP with NEDCAB and am posting the offer letters to all tomorrow - with payments starting end May - to stick with token payments for 6 months
    NEDCAB have recommended £152 split between all creditors - SC was £344!! So already I can see a huge improvement :)
    I'm going to start saving what I can now my budget is more realistic and offer settlements as I can - and also snowballing (paying any available leftovers to smallest to clear - and then next smallest - and so on....) even a couple of pounds each month will make a difference! This is something I couldn't do with SC.
    Still a huge way to go (12 creditors, owe £22.5k) but its looking more positive!!
    Thanks all for the suggestions and support :)

xx

Well done, it's great to hear you doing so well going self managed.: :j

K
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

My new year's resolution is to visit this site everyday :) This site keeps me so focused on pushing down my debts. I haven't let the debt busting slip too much, but have to admit it's not been my main focus of late (family takes priority).

So day 1 of new year's resolution sorted. I've visited and said hello :wave:

I've also just prepared an updated I&E to send off to creditors before they start asking for one.

We've now cleared approx 52% of our debts - which feels amazing. Yes, we still have a big amount to clear - just over £45k. This will look massive to many, but to us it is just amazing. Three years ago we were heading towards being £100k in unsecured debts. I never dreamt we would be anywhere near our current balances just 3 short years later. And it really is 3 short years. Those years have just flown by.

Happy new year everyone :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    Options
    That's amazing, gives me hope that we can clear our £20k once I've got a job that is!
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
  • kram
    kram Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Hi january2015,

Great to see you back on the forum. :j

Amazing how much you have cleared off your debts.

I am going to read through your diary to pick up some tips / ideas. :j

Wishing you & everyone on the forum a peaceful new year.

K
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport