Schools providing Sanitary protection

Comments

• ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I remember being extremely jealous of a school friend, whose mother would just keep her stocked up. Buy the protection and pop it in the daughters room , no conversation needed. I was wowed that my friend had a drawer full

I remember feeling horribly jealous of this.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • ska_lover wrote: »
    I remember being extremely jealous of a school friend, whose mother would just keep her stocked up. Buy the protection and pop it in the daughters room , no conversation needed. I was wowed that my friend had a drawer full

I remember feeling horribly jealous of this.

While that's definitely preferable to your situation, that friend might have wished she could have the conversation though. Seems a shame to me to not talk about something that mother and daughter will have in common, to have a moan and talk about ways to best cope with the various downsides.
  • Seems a shame to me to not talk about something that mother and daughter will have in common.

I don't know if they discussed it in general. I just know there was not the need for a forced announcement each month

Completely depends on the parent. If they make it uncomfortable and a big drama then it is not going to happen..and a lot of teenage girls are embarrased, I was...but not helped by a Mother who would have made a drama about it, and my Dad would have been called into the room etc

My mother was not one to talk about stuff like periods. I only first found out about it all at school - when the nurse came and told all the girls
    With love, POSR <3
  • I don't know if they discussed it in general. I just know there was not the need for a forced announcement each month

Completely depends on the parent. If they make it uncomfortable and a big drama then it is not going to happen..and a lot of teenage girls are embarrased, I was...but not helped by a Mother who would have made a drama about it, and my Dad would have been called into the room etc

My mother was not one to talk about stuff like periods. I only first found out about it all at school - when the nurse came and told all the girls

I thought ska lover was the poster who said that, but you seemed to answer as her....
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    pickledonionspaceraider Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 9:04PM
    I thought ska lover was the poster who said that, but you seemed to answer as her....

Can a problem only be had by one person? If I was saying I was poor, would you say the same?

Bit of an unfair comment

People quote stuff that was not aimed at them all the time, if they feel it relevant...Just as you did
    With love, POSR <3
  • Can a problem only be had by one person? If I was saying I was poor, would you say the same?

Bit of an unfair comment

If you re read your comment it says ' I don't know if they discussed it' who is they if not the person ska lover referred to?

It just struck me as a strange way of phrasing the answer...

Apologies, if you and ska lover are not one and the same but I suspect you can see how I might have arrived at that conclusion.:D
  • If you re read your comment it says ' I don't know if they discussed it' who is they if not the person ska lover referred to?

It just struck me as a strange way of phrasing the answer...

Apologies, if you and ska lover are not one and the same but I suspect you can see how I might have arrived at that conclusion.:D

I wouldn't know (cos I don't know them) I should have worded it better eh?

No we aren't the same person, and no worries

I wonder if there are alteregos where people respond to their own threads? Does make you wonder though
    With love, POSR <3
  • :rotfl:

Sorry, that tickled me.

"Mother! The time of bleeding is upon me! Bring forth the sanitary protection!"

Hahahaha I am in peices
    With love, POSR <3
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 15 September 2018 at 10:40PM
    Yes, I think schools should provide them if needed.

Yes, I am horrified parents don't, just like it horrifies me when children are fed at school during the holidays because they are at risk of going hungry otherwise.

Yes, I understand benefit sanctions and waits for Universal Credit can cause major financial issues.

Yes, I think in some cases what parents need is to be taught budgeting skills and how to prioritise if they are not able to provide their children with enough food or sanitary towels. Not everybody is capable of managing money well and some need help and guidance.

I was raised by a single mother from the age of 10, no financial support from father, and that's also when I started my periods. I never wanted for sanitary protection and I needed a lot of it. I started The Pill at 13 and not even that slowed my long & heavy periods down much!
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    It’s not always about budgeting. It’s about not having enough to live on.

When I had 1300 a month 3 quid for tampons was nothing. I now get 317 a month. I’m in between jobs but I may have some zero hours work coming up soon.

Some women also do not have access to their own money. Financial abuse.

You always get someone piping up. Fruit and veg are so cheap! Tampons are so cheap. I know someone who can make delicious meals for a pound a day.

That is not reality for most people. There are foodbanks appealing for food every single day.

Some people are in dire straits. It’s not simply a budgeting issue. It’s a poverty issue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure