PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm’s Thread 2018

Comments

• timehastoldme
    timehastoldme Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Seem to have hit a seam of fixup future jumping mid century sci fi. The outward urge (Wyndham) follows generations of one family as they quest deeper into space each time with varying degrees of personal success, but always furthering the cause of space exploration. Written before the moon landings, so interesting to see how different imagination and reality are in that respect.

Foundation- Isaac Asimov another classic, the empire will collapse, a psychohistorian sees it coming and sets a new foundation in motion, he predicts they will hit various crisis points during the time they have and the story follows the people who move through the crisis and how they resolve it (peaceably, Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent). Beautifully written, the trick to some really good sci if is that you forget you are meant to be in the future on a different planet, the characters and the story are so engaging. Reading the second now.
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Syman: What did you think of the B.A. Paris book? I've just finished "Behind Closed Doors" and was thinking of getting "Bring Me Back".
    Normal people worry me.
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Syman: What did you think of the B.A. Paris book? I've just finished "Behind Closed Doors" and was thinking of getting "Bring Me Back".

It is worth a read. i think the plot was a bit of a stretch to believe. but a page turner nonetheless.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Does it drive anyone else mad?

Yep, me, as do typos and mis-spellings and just plain simple wrong usage of a word.

eg a hoard of insects, a peel of laughter (and, in the same book, 'bells were peeling in the distance,' so it's not even a typo, just carelessness somewhere in the editing/proof-reading/type-setting system.

And don't get me started on phrasing such as 'She was sat on the ground' ... :rotfl:

One book I read had a character who referred to 'teenagers' - which leapt out at me as the book was set in the early 1800s and the word teenage doesn't appear till the 1920s.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    eg a hoard of insects, a peel of laughter (and, in the same book, 'bells were peeling in the distance,' so it's not even a typo, just carelessness somewhere in the editing/proof-reading/type-setting system.

I was once reading a news article about a tragic character that I couldn't take at all seriously as the writer kept describing him as a 'heroine addict'. That made it all seem rather pleasant, as if he had a raging addiction to the novels of Jane Austen rather than to illegal substances.
  • Treasurequeen
    Treasurequeen Posts: 615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    In the past few weeks I have read All That She Can See by Carrie Hope Fletcher. For me it was too far fetched, the characters were ok and it started off well and then the plot got worse.
    2/10

Ive also finished reading wanted by nick Stephenson was a very good action packed book. 9/10

I have just started The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
    by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Book 13:

41e7QnOG9yL.jpg

8/10. I read this with a permanent smile on my face, it gave me some real lol moments, and his pithy TopTips and Practice Questions were the cherry on a sweet cake. Ideal for a train journey when you have a couple of hours to yourself.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I was once reading a news article about a tragic character that I couldn't take at all seriously as the writer kept describing him as a 'heroine addict'. That made it all seem rather pleasant, as if he had a raging addiction to the novels of Jane Austen rather than to illegal substances.

My current reading features a dog which is a 'lercher' by breed.

The word (or should I say non-word) 'lercher' has appeared at least 20 times :eek:
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• VfM4meplse
    Book 14:

the-optician-of-lampedusa-book-jacket.jpg

7.5/10, a compulsive and harrowing read although not a work of literary genius. I think it should be made compulsory reading for school aged children.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Book 15:

61gN6rLirnL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

7/10 and rather than the entertaining collection of funny real-life stories I was expecting, it was a set of far deeper, darker and sometimes conceptual themes. The writers are clever and make their points well, although it is at times very uncomfortable reading. Thank goodness times have changed since the 1970s/80s when I was growing up. It also opened my eyes to an alternative view of Mandela's legacy and why Mugabe's electorate supported him through what the rest of the world watched with disbelief.

Nearly midsummer, and seems I'm finally back on track to meet my target of 60 books this year. The last few books I have read I have made a conscious effort to sit down and read without distraction, rather than getting 2/3 of the way through and then picking up another (still plenty of those to finish!). This weekend I was accused of being promiscuous with books :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure