Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great figures. My current favourite is net reduction for the month and being over £1k you must be so pleased.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Great figures. My current favourite is net reduction for the month and being over £1k you must be so pleased.

Totally agree Jimmy- we're so pleased that it over £1k capital cleated this month :D fingers crossed we can get a few more in however now my bonus is done I'm not sure how close we will get!

Had a NSD today and received £3 Pinecone payment- and got to try something for free (yum) and received 91p interest on our joint bills acct so £3.91 overpaid to start May off. Hurrah!

No gym or yoga today as decided by lunch that the pain was still there so would let it rest another night. Going to do some weight training tomorrow but will modify and do some of them seated to reduce any pressure/pain on the back. Wish me luck!

Had a frustrating call ping pong between hmrc and student lians- tax think I owe them and have applied a disproportionate fine on top & have passed to a collections company, but the initial charges relate to student loans but student loans Agee I'm in credit with them and they've told hmrc. Spent two hours between the two and the DCA on the phone trying to resolve this farcical situation but have to wait a week and then call student loans back for an update; once the student loan piece is resolved I can appeal the fine apparently.....not what anyone needs especially as I'm in credit and due a refund :eek::mad::o

No point getting too wound up, I'm sure it will get sorted in the end!

On a more positive note my lifetime ISA bonus paid out today so gained £25 interest so it's now at the princely sum of £135- this one is going to be a slow burner to support pension/savings for retirements so slow & steady will win the race. Increased the monthly standing order up from £10 to £25 starting this payday so I'm putting approx £200 into pensions/retirement funds per month.
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good thinking throwing some steady increases into pensions/retirement. Although we've only had miniscule pay rises over the last few years we've thrown them all at pensions as we don't need it/don't feel the difference of it. Make them soldiers keep working hard!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pensions is definitely an area we need to be more focused on.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • fiona100
    fiona100 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder..

I got news that will have a bearing on my probably income, just after I had had my lifetime ISA bonus news.. As I plan to move city during this summer (after the mortgage fix unfixes - don't want the fines ;) )

I am not sure if I will manage the larger 1 off payments that I managed to fund the ISA with last year.. I would need to wait and see what the new Mortgage left me with.

So thanks for the reminder that the minute pay news, slow and steady route is also there.

Many Thanks Fiona
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Evening folks,
    A lovely bank holiday weekend was had, making IKEA flatpack furniture for the gfs parents, a few gym sessions and a lovely swim!

Also managed to visit my big brother and take him out for lunch, and go out for a spur of the moment pub lunch with some good friends :beer:

On the mse front we had some cashback finally confirm in Quidco which has been paid out tonight and promptly overpaid :D that's an extra £23.40 that wasn't planned so I'm pretty happy. Just completed a Pinecone survey too so that should credit andbe overpaid before payday!

May Overpayment is now at £27.41 before payday which is a great start to May!

Back is feeling miles better so I'm planning my first yoga session back tomorrow and can't wait. Breakfast/lunch/snacks & yoga kit all packed for getting into the office. Managed to hit at least 10k steps daily since Friday too so I'm back to my normal activity levels which feels good.

Now to not spend any more money until payday- I have some sandals to return and a top (total £9.50 big spender me) which I'm hoping to do on Friday so the funds are back in my bank rather than the clothes being carted around in the back of the car! ;P

Planning to book one of the Australia hotels tomorrow using the Avios points we've been collecting for years- we can easily use them to clear two night stay at Hervey Bay before the Fraser Island trip which will save us £200 & we'll then see what we've got left and if can use them at another stop in Aus- keep the costs down hopefully :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've not had a PC survey in aaages... I think they don't like me any more!

Using your Avios for a hotel stay sounds like a good plan! Do you keep up with Head for Points for the best ways to spend them?
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    edited 10 May 2018 at 4:39AM
    Options
    Ooooh Vix I didn't know about that 'Head for Points' site- I'm having a read now- we haven't yet booked that hotel as Work/gym:yoga has taken over a bit the last few days but will this weekend.

With Pinecone I found it was quiet for a few months and then I'm again getting at least two a month and got to try a nice yummy product last month as well. Weird how it works! I've been very lazy with Prolific- everytime I remember to check there are either no surveys or non compatible with smart phones so not for me. Booo

On that note the Pinecone reward has been credited on Pinecone so I've requested the withdrawal :)

Had a good bargain shop after yoga tonight at my local tesco- needed skimmed milk, coffee milk, sweeteners etc but managed to get some green grapes for 31p, 2 different four packs of graze snack packs for 30p each (one peanut for gf, one beetroot for me), two packs of Thai fish sliders for £1.20 each (pretty lean meat for the food plan!) which are now frozen nicely and also got a new milky bar reduced sugar chocolate and claimed cashback from Shopmium (I really liked the milky bar I must say- scoffed it in seconds whilst watching Law & Order in bed :rotfl: )

I also managed to pick up three lots of sweetners as they were less than half price for our usual brand (& therefore cheaper than tesco own brand) and some other bits and bobs we needed. It was chaos in there though as some rather rowdy/pushy behaviour near the yellow sticker stuffs :o

Off to Manchester this morning but I can't sleep following my usual wake up snuggle demands from Hugo- I had hoped he would grow out of it but he now gets under the covers and snuggles up purring loudly and padding with his paws on my arm/yummy. It's incredibly adorable but blinkin shattering.

My back is feeling tonnes better and my step count is back up still which I'm pleased with, as well as having a fantastic first yoga class yesterday following the injury so all going pretty well, however my abs feel like someone's torn me after doing 36 bench leg raises on Monday night in the gym- hurts to giggle too much! :eek:

Managed to get a free flat white with vanilla syrup before yoga today too using my loyalty card :) I was at our other office today so managed to leave my car there and walk into town- only 30min walk- in the sunshine and then walk back after. Popped some tunes on and enjoyed the weather/walk and very much enjoyed the free coffee whilst I mooched in fat face/the white stuff dreaming of holiday wardrobes and the sale shopping to come later in the summer (:P) What a treat!

Off to catch up with some diaries seeing as I can't settle back to sleep!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    CathT wrote: »
    Pensions is definitely an area we need to be more focused on.

CathT totally me too- I've not got that much knowledge on the subject but for the moment- I'm 34- im paying in the maximum (5%) that my company double and then topping up an additional voluntary amount (AVC) of 1%. Alongside my very small LISA contribution I think this is sufficient for the time being alongside clearing down the Mortgage.

I have an old pension fund sat at £19k from when my company changed providers, and my current one is approx £23k (according to my calculations anyway) so they are slowly building but the amount needed to save in comparison to what you get is scary!

I'm planning to start putting a nominal amount into premium bonds monthly from mid year to be another long term savings stash so that I have a few pots/areas that I can (hopefully) depend on at retirement.

I'll look to review options a bit more in detail next year as will have another 30+ years of work potentially from the age of 35 :eek:
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm with you on the morning cat snuggles... adorable, but... I want more sleep! (We don't even let them in, but B&W kitty starts scratching the carpet outside our door when he decides it's time to wake up.... and when we let him in he miaows loudly in our face and then burrows his head into my neck, paw on face, licks whatever skin he can find.... I know it's because he's missed me, but....!

Head for points is a really interesting read for snippets about ccs etc.

Hope you had a good weekend - your gym schedule leaves me feeling exhausted just reading about it!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback