Unfair recruitment process exposed at Travelodge

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    74jax wrote: »
    But you do have to cift, I probably had 60 or so with everything I needed, but was only interviewing 10, so spelling errors like that were used to clear some out.

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I think Travelodge are probably quite pleased they haven't offered you a job, if you spent as much time finding employment as you do with some Travelodge conspiracy you could be employed by now.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I recall a friend of mine applying for a job that had over 300 applicants. He was amazed to get an interview the next day and be offered the job 2 hours later. The company's policy was to only look at enough CV's to get 4 suitable candidates and then interview and pick one. 90% of CV's never got looked at. Its just the way it is.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd be taking a step back, deep breath, and never contact them again. There is no way I'd employ someone who did what you have done. Fair? Maybe not. You don't have an automatic right to interview, I could have 10 CVs, get bored after the first 5 and throw the rest in the bin (r.e.David Brent only employing lucky people :) ). My choice, nothing illegal.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Assuming this isn't a troll thread, the OP's CV was probably rejected by ATS software which would likely have "found" better matches and rejected the remainder - this is one of the reasons that most CVs are never viewed by human eyes...

Worth brushing it up, including a professional rewrite if need be, and getting stuck back into the job hunt - and not wasting any more time complaining about Travelodge.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well that's blown any chance you might have had for working at Travelodge in future.
    Don't apply for 21 jobs with the same company. Even if they received them it's such a scattergun approach that it just looks like you'll whack in an application for anything, without any thought as to whether your skills match or not.

And maybe take that chip off your shoulder - with no evidence whatsoever you felt like they'd decided you weren't British and possibly also a criminal? You need to get a grip.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I agree with what you are saying, I think they probably had a lot of applicants but they should have at least let you know when you were unsuccessful. When you contacted them they should have be willing to provide some feedback for all the applications. I think there was absolutely nothing wrong with asking follow up questions to their responses because you simply wanted to know what happened, I think I would have wanted to get to the bottom of it as well. They should never have added an application to your account like that with your details on it, I think if they have done that it could be classed as fraud whether it was to test the system or not it doesn't matter, they have simply used your details without asking you, you have every right to demand an explanation after they have done something like that. I know I would want an explanation if I was in your situation. I hope they get back to you as they have got some serious explaining to do, keep me updated on what happens. Good luck mate :)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    anony9 wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying, I think they probably had a lot of applicants but they should have at least let you know when you were unsuccessful. When you contacted them they should have be willing to provide some feedback for all the applications. I think there was absolutely nothing wrong with asking follow up questions to their responses because you simply wanted to know what happened, I think I would have wanted to get to the bottom of it as well. They should never have added an application to your account like that with your details on it, I think if they have done that it could be classed as fraud whether it was to test the system or not it doesn't matter, they have simply used your details without asking you, you have every right to demand an explanation after they have done something like that. I know I would want an explanation if I was in your situation. I hope they get back to you as they have got some serious explaining to do, keep me updated on what happens. Good luck mate :)

And now we get the multiple personalities.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I agree with what you are saying, I think they probably had a lot of applicants but they should have at least let you know when you were unsuccessful. When you contacted them they should have be willing to provide some feedback for all the applications. I think there was absolutely nothing wrong with asking follow up questions to their responses because you simply wanted to know what happened, I think I would have wanted to get to the bottom of it as well. They should never have added an application to your account like that with your details on it, I think if they have done that it could be classed as fraud whether it was to test the system or not it doesn't matter, they have simply used your details without asking you, you have every right to demand an explanation after they have done something like that. I know I would want an explanation if I was in your situation. I hope they get back to you as they have got some serious explaining to do, keep me updated on what happens. Good luck mate

Oh dear.

What further explanation is required over and above the problem being a "technical issue"...?
  • I would seriously remove the hotel chain name - there is making it public and making it public. I could understand 21 applications over the course of a few years, but hours or days would just get you branded strange at this time.

I appreciate you are frustrated, I went through similar with a loan company who over the course of a couple of years repeatedly would interview me before anyone says I felt entitled to a job interview, in time I eventually learnt to ignore the job ads and it probably helped they eventually beefed up the educational requirements of roles anyway so it turned out there was a logic to the rejects. I hope you can find the same peace.

Even in my current employment which has been a place I’ve interviewed three times for previously, twice being the unsuccessful candidate (not same role and fortunately different management each time) I ended up with a lesser job then I ever first come for back in 2013 and now I do wonder what the fascination was.

Apply somewhere to another company and see if you can do a trial day first. I find Glassdoor helpful because sometimes when you can read existing employee reviews that all helps get some prospective other then realising on first day what you’ve let yourself in for.

Wish you well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport