LLoyds & loans direct

Lloyd’s have recently confirmed to me that ppi was added to a loan I had between Feb 2010 and Aug 2013.

They asked me if I remembered how I took out the loan? I said probably over the phone... however now i’m Wondering if I did it online. My statements always said ‘loans direct’ would that insinuate I had taken the loan online?

I have no memeory of agreeing to ppi

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No one here can tell you the manner in which you purchased the insurance.

What is certain, however, is that if you did purchase it online it will be very difficult to argue it was mis-sold to you.

Online sales don't involve any salesperson and so anyone purchasing unsuitable insurance would be mis-buying.

The exception was if the application process involved pre-populated tick boxes selecting PPI by default. Unfortunately for you, these had long been phased out by 2010.

You'll now have to wait and see what the Bank's records show. It takes around eight weeks for a PPI complaint to be processed.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What is certain, however, is that if you did purchase it online it will be very difficult to argue it was mis-sold to you.

Online sales don't involve any salesperson and so anyone purchasing unsuitable insurance would be mis-buying.

The exception was if the application process involved pre-populated tick boxes selecting PPI by default. Unfortunately for you, these had long been phased out by 2010.

Where the sale is online, if the accompanying text is considered advice by the ombudsman it can still be miss-sold even if the box is not pre-ticked - even wording such as "we strongly recommend you take this product" can count.

The FOS will of course know the sales script by now for online accounts so a complaint on this basis would only work if the bank was known to have a failing here but it doesn't automatically mean it was an ok sale.
  • [Deleted User]
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Where the sale is online, if the accompanying text is considered advice by the ombudsman it can still be miss-sold even if the box is not pre-ticked - even wording such as "we strongly recommend you take this product" can count.
    Just like the pre-populated tick boxes, such wording on online applications was a thing of the past in 2010.
    it doesn't automatically mean it was an ok sale.
    If you read my earlier post, I only said that online PPI sales were very difficult to argue as mis-sold and not that it was definitely an "ok sale"
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just like the pre-populated tick boxes, such wording on online applications was a thing of the past in 2010.

If you read my earlier post, I only said that online PPI sales were very difficult to argue as mis-sold and not that it was definitely an "ok sale"

Your post said the below

"Online sales don't involve any salesperson and so anyone purchasing unsuitable insurance would be mis-buying.

The exception was if the application process involved pre-populated tick boxes selecting PPI by default. Unfortunately for you, these had long been phased out by 2010."

This is incorrect as there are 2 exceptions which would mean that purchasing insurance online was not mis-buying - pre-ticked boxes and wording considered to be advice
  • [Deleted User]
    This is incorrect
    As I said, by 2010, the wording you suggest the Ombudsman might take exception to was no longer a feature of Lloyds online sales.

We are now getting into the realms of off-topic argument. Are we really descending into point-scoring? :eek:

The originating poster doesn't even know for certain that he purchased the PPI online and will only know for certain when the Bank reply to his already submitted complaint.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure