Financial Freedom + Self Care

Comments

• SnowBallBunny
    SnowBallBunny Posts: 149 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2017 at 9:23PM
    Thank you! Have a lovely week too. :)

Also, you're signature is inspiring, well done for making so much progress and for being mortgage-free!
    Credit Card 1 £6,000/£5,322.56 Debit Card £5,000/£2975.3 Credit Card 2 £1200/0 Tax Bill £750/£0 Library Fine £90/£0 Accountancy Bill £720/£0 Cancelled Art Project Donation £15/£0
    Total £13,199/£8298

A SnowballBunny, hopping my way to Financial Freedom. :j
  • Update: Went to a recruitment agency this morning. Half way there got stuck in traffic for almost 30 minutes, I persevered and went and did my best. Got to work later than expected so I worked late to make up the time. I have an another appointment at another agency next week.

Spoke to a counsellor yesterday. They encouraged me to take small steps towards resolving things. It was a good reminder that change happens over time.
    Credit Card 1 £6,000/£5,322.56 Debit Card £5,000/£2975.3 Credit Card 2 £1200/0 Tax Bill £750/£0 Library Fine £90/£0 Accountancy Bill £720/£0 Cancelled Art Project Donation £15/£0
    Total £13,199/£8298

• SnowBallBunny
    edited 7 December 2017 at 8:33PM
    Update:

Tomorrow is payday but I won't have time to update you all tomorrow so I'll do it today instead. Thanks for continuing to join me on this journey.

Snowball: £250

I decided to pay £100 into last week's Snowball instead of £200 due to unexpected expenses. I'll have more to contribute this week, £150 instead of £50! :eek: This is because I spent so little this week and I was able to work a bit of overtime - that opportunity is rare where I work. I'll be applying for part time work this week. :money:

Unexpected expenses:

Felt ill today, couldn't go to work. I get paid hourly so I didn't want to miss out on that money but I couldn't go. I know that stress is causing this so I need to relax and have faith in myself and that this situation will improve. I'll go in tomorrow and do some calming aromatherapy tonight.

£79 Online Business Analysis Course - I haven't been reading much, I've been obsessing about debt and need to make progress on my studies so that I can sit the exam in the New Year and put myself in the position to make more money. I got a discount on this course and this course will provide me with a discount on the exam itself. I really thought long and hard about this purchase. I also have another meeting with a recruitment consultant this coming week who may ask me about the course.

£15 Web hosting - I run an art group once a month and use a website to secure members. I make a small profit on workshops so I decided to keep up the web hosting and start doing workshops again in the new year.

£15 Train ticket to see relative - Basically, this whole situation has caused me to reflect on a lot of things. I've forgiven people and would like to make an apology myself. There's a relative I want to make an apology to and if I don't go this weekend, I won't have the space to do it before New Years. I just want to make the move now. We are on good terms I just want to do this and let the situation go.

Received an update from a Recruitment Consultant regarding a Project Management contract role I applied for, a very well paid one. It's been placed on hold and the client has my CV. So even though it's on hold, it felt so good to get an update from someone because I've been making calls and chasing up opportunities. It only takes one contract. If I get one well paid contract, I'll clear this debt so quickly and then I'll be able to think clearly and to make my next best move career-wise and in relation to other areas of my life.

It's a race between whether I secure a well paid contract for a few months or a permanent role that doesn't pay as much but it would be permanent/stable which would allow me to clear my debt - over a longer period of time.
    Total £13,199/£8298

• Also I received my remaining refunds for the subscription I was incorrectly charged for so the total on that card is lower now - thankfully.
    Total £13,199/£8298

• You are young enough to turn your situation around Snowball. I was in debt from when I was 18 until I was 53 :eek:. You can imagine how many regrets I have :(.

However it's never too late to change. Once you get a full time job you will be able to pay off your debts more quickly and then start saving for your future.

Try not to concentrate on too many things at once or you could become overwhelmed.

Seeing friends and family, exercising, looking for higher paid work and paying off your debts should be your main focuses imo.

Good luck you can do it :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • You are young enough to turn your situation around Snowball. I was in debt from when I was 18 until I was 53 :eek:. You can imagine how many regrets I have :(.

However it's never too late to change. Once you get a full time job you will be able to pay off your debts more quickly and then start saving for your future.

Try not to concentrate on too many things at once or you could become overwhelmed.

Seeing friends and family, exercising, looking for higher paid work and paying off your debts should be your main focuses imo.

Good luck you can do it :).

Your message was so thoughtful and kind. You're right, it is never too late to make a positive change. And it is best for me to focus on a small number of priorities including family and friends. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a lovely message.
    Total £13,199/£8298

• You're very welcome :).

That's why we're all here on this forum, to help each other and keep each other motivated. It's very easy to get down when dealing with debts, but other people can often see your situation more clearly than you can :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Unexpected expenses update: £15 Train ticket to see relatives was actually £25.60 as I had to buy a return and get a cab (£6) to my relatives place as I arrived at a time when I couldn't be picked up - due to work schedules. I made my apology and it was accepted. It was a good and humbling experience. I was told that I'd already been forgiven years ago but I just had to take the time to express myself and let things go.

Back at the homeless shelter this evening for a short shift, helping everyone to set up.

Hoping to sort out my sleep and get back into a regular pattern starting this evening. I've let my usual healthy eating regime slide a bit lately and I think that's part of what's affecting my sleep and general energy. I usually drink so much water so I've started getting back into that habit, I'll start small and get back to my usual 2 litres a day soon.

It's a time of transition and change for me, really reflecting on my life, my career path, relationships, the kind of future I want. I need to worry less and just trust and have faith in positive things. Something good can always happen.
    Total £13,199/£8298

• SnowBallBunny
    edited 9 December 2017 at 9:10PM
    I watched a Youtube video by an American woman called Stacey Flowers who is paying off $208,453.27 debt - again. She's keeping a vlog of her experiences and she said something that really made me think. She said something like, "The reason we don't reach our dreams is because we are still paying off some other dream that we invested in e.g. going to Uni, owning a home etc."

I know that paying off this debt will feel freeing and be part of me letting go of a dream and doing things in a better way. Her video really gave me food for thought. She has more debt to pay off that I do but it just goes to show that no matter the amount, it can feel so heavy.

Career-wise I'm pursing something sensible rather than something creative that I'm passionate about. I want a stable, higher paid job. If I can add creative skills (that will make me money) to that, like Marketing, then I'm open to that.

Better get ready for the homeless shelter, need to find some comfy practical clothes.

This thread has had £1K views! Amazing. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and to the kind 'lurkers'. I was a DFW lurker for a few weeks and I'm glad I started this thread.

Goals this week:
    • Set smaller Snowball goals for myself, unexpected expenses happen. When I can overpay it, I will. Snowball payment is £100 this week bringing me up to £200. And I'm OK with that. I'm doing my best.
    • Improve my sleep.
    • Do breathing exercises to relaxing sounds/music.
    • Be kinder to myself.
    Total £13,199/£8298

• You’re doing your best and that is all you can do. I personally think your are doing fab, you are making the payments, it will go down. Sometimes you’ll be able to pay more than other times and that’s just life. We all have unexpected things that crop up. :)
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family