PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Right you lot - time to hoist up your bosoms (Les Dawson style) & get stuck in to this lovely new thread. I also have this little mental picture of a cartoon used for a cleaning ad many years ago of Mrs Mops in pinnies & turbans on their hands & knees in a row with their bottoms swaying to and fro in time to the music - is that us.................????
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Frankly Silva my bosom could do with some hoisting...
    I've just paid the electrician and got the money out to pay the roofer at the weekend so am feeling considerably poorer.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    My problem is that everything continues to sway for four or five minutes after the music has stopped :eek: and if I get down on the floor somebody has to help me up again!
    How do you all empty your freezers out to defrost them. If I take something out I seem to put four meals back in of what I've just made from it.
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Doveling wrote: »
    My problem is that everything continues to sway for four or five minutes after the music has stopped :eek: and if I get down on the floor somebody has to help me up again!
    How do you all empty your freezers out to defrost them. If I take something out I seem to put four meals back in of what I've just made from it.

I stop buying food until it is empty.

I have three freezers. One is finally empty. I need to rejig the other two, and may get to the bottom of the chest freezer by the end of March.

Only spending is the occasional pint of milk when I really can't manage without coffee/have visitors, and some fresh veg which I am NOT allowed to make into soup to freeze until all the soup is gone. I have plenty of frozen fruit, so no need to buy any.

I'm now at the stage where there is less in the way of 'ingredients' than meals, so there is less chance of stuff going back in.
  • Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Gran3 - if you still have the lids, could you cut them as you would a grow bag?
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    sometimes I'll use a large duvet to wrap around the food (insulating it to keep it cool) whilst I fast defrost the freezer; using a mix of hair dryer - (never in the freezer:eek:, just pointing the heat from a 10cm distance towards the freezer so there's no danger of electrocuting myself) and trays of hot water to create steam to help speed up the defrosting. depending on the state of the freezer it can take about 30-45 minutes to be defrosted. I'll wipe everything dry inside the freezer; i find this stops it frosting up as quickly if all the surfaces are dry to start with.

Hope that helps.

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Doveling wrote: »

Same here :o Welcome Doveling, Cat, Hester and I'm sure there was at least one other person :wave:

Thanks for the new thread nuatha :) How's OH doing?

Stilty What great news about DD's new chariot! :T
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    I wish you had not used the word chariot....I now have an image of Miss Stilty doing a Ben Hur with Mum's best kitchen knives strapped to the wheels - heaven help her little bruvver!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Nargleblast - we live in a very touristy town and regularly think we should kit both the kids' wheels out with Boudica spikes and a bull bar, just so we can make our way down the high street on a market day! Now there's an image for you :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 March 2015 at 7:04PM
    Good Evening chums, and Hi to all the lurkers :) I too am of the age when I can remember women in turban headscarves (ala (ilda Ogden ) but I have never worn a curler in my life (although I have used rollers many moons ago

Oh the days of the Carmen rollers :):):)) I also had one of those hairdriers with a hood attached which meant I could multi-task and cook and while feeding my tribe, and also be doing something vital like answer the phone which seemed to ring non-stop between 6-7 at night for some reason.Then I'd have to turn my hairdryer off and the big ballon-like hood would gently deflate :):):)
    Nowadays I just wash 'n'go my hair, a quick flick with the comb and then I am doing something else.

Nice to see a shiny new thread.We all seem to lurch from one broke/hard up week to another at times don't we,but we all survive somehow.

Perhaps more women in Government would sort some of the debt crisis out as we all know how to tighen our belts until they are almost pinging :):):)
    Onwards and upwards chums
    JackieO xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family