And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Evening :wave:

No money news (again!) but I have had another nsd so that's a no spend weekend :j Following on from all the sensible advice about finding balance has made me a little reflective:p. I've had a near perfect weekend, in fact I can't think how it could have been better (other than if it it'd been a long weekend!). It's been active, the company has been good, it's been varied and completely relaxing (even the active stuff was r&r for the brain:D). It's also cost nothing more than a bit of fuel for the car. It's proved to me (again) how much better my new mfw life is, the fact that it's allowing me to sock a load more cash into my pension and my os mortgage pot is actually proving to be the icing on the cake rather than the cake itself:)

Today has been lovely, a good, long sleep and coffee and a read in bed. My very favourite start to the day:). We then had a run along the river and through the woods, a shorter route than normal but ideal for stretching out stiff legs and for blowing the cobwebs away.
    Lunch was lo from the freezer followed by a couple of hours reading. By this time the sun was out so we got out for a bike ride and ended up doing a couple of hours because it was just so nice:). Coming home to tea and hm scones was even nicer :p. I'm now having my second bubble bath of the weekend while batch cooked veggie cottage pie and braised red cabbage from the freezer heats up.

My struggle with balance is proving not to be spend v don't spend but more recreation v chores. Apart from laundry and a bit of baking I've done nowt this weekend and the world hasn't fallen apart:rotfl: Going forward, managing this balance is going to be my goal and my challenge:)

Happy Sunday to you :)

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    What an absolutely lovely weekend, well done you! :j :j :j
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Well done on having a restful weekend!:j
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your weekend sounds amazing. Mountains, woods and river. You really do have it all in your part of the world. We do sometimes need to sit back, take it all in and realise that we are pretty fortunate.
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • pinkypig
    What an absolutely lovely weekend, well done you! :j :j :j
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Well done on having a restful weekend!:j
    CathT wrote: »
    Your weekend sounds amazing. Mountains, woods and river. You really do have it all in your part of the world. We do sometimes need to sit back, take it all in and realise that we are pretty fortunate.

Thanks lovely peeps, it was fab. Back to reality now though :eek::rotfl:
  • pinkypig

Survived Monday :). Since the holidays work is so busy but with some focussed effort i am keeping on top of things - just! I really must keep this up because it's just awful when I get behind with stuff:(
    In money news I've had £12.80 from RM for a lost eBay item and I've had a nsd:j. I'm now only 4 days from pay day and I'm slightly over on grocery and will need coffee tomorrow and well over on personal but I have revamped my wardrobe:o. Fuel on the other hand is under and I've had a good eBay month so I should hit my targets.

Other mfw successes included;

Lots of water drunk

Weights class done

Lo for lunch and dinner

email I've been putting off sent :j

Happy Monday :)

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Hello :wave:

My spin class was cancelled which is a shame but it has given me a bonus evening at home:). We were decidedly low on healthy and unhealthy :o snacks due to my weekend of doing nowt but enjoying myself so I've used the time to make hummus, overnight oats, a big tub of preprepared mixed salad and a tray of rocky road which should keep us going for a while.
    I haven't managed a nsd as we needed coffee and loo roll and we can't live without either of those :p. I've also ordered 5kg of popping corn off Amazon as the price has suddenly dropped to £1.77 a kg and we (i :o) eat loads of it. This got me thinking about my grocery budgeting. My new target is £32 a week but I track it each calender month and annually. I've decided that bargain bulk buys like this and my year's supply of bargain wine is going to go straight into the annual spreadsheet rather than the month it was purchased. I had originally thought about adding the cost of what I used each month but I'm bound to forget at some point and this will make it more accurate and also won't skew my monthly costs.

Work was good and felt less hectic which is always nice although the week is flying by. My marking is up to date and everything for tomorrow is printed out and on my desk which is always a good start to the day. I find it I start out disorganised and stressed it sets the tone for the rest of the day and I hate it.

Other mfw successes included;

Enough water drunk

Porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch and batch cooked pasta sauce and spaghetti for dinner.

Hoovered downstairs so everything looks neat and tidy.

Swallowed two frogs - phone calls

Repaired school trousers (again), a pair of my socks and a doorstop that's needed doing for over a year :o

I'm off to get my financial papers together ready for my ifa visit tomorrow followed by an early night .

Happy Tuesday to you :)

PP xx
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Excellent purchase on the popping corn - depending on what you put on it, its a *really* healthy snack - and so many snacks cooked as well. Good use of spinning class energy :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pinkypig
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Excellent purchase on the popping corn - depending on what you put on it, its a *really* healthy snack - and so many snacks cooked as well. Good use of spinning class energy :)

I like it plain Karma, nice and warm straight from the popper, yummy, cheap and healthy :):)
  • pinkypig

What a miserable day, it's felt like autumn. I had to put the heating on for an hour :eek:

Other than the weather today has been great. Work was good,busy and productive and the kids are just lovely at the moment. Really settled and working hard. Hope they get the results they deserve.

I had my ifa meeting tonight which was mainly info gathering and giving permission for him to get pension projections and values etc. He's coming back to discuss options when he has the detail but already he's given me food for thought, namely a three phase retirement using equity based pensions to fund 55 - 60 to allow cast iron final salary schemes to be drawn penalty free with no actuarial adjustment at 60 and finally SP kicking in at 67. He also confirmed that I will get the maximum amount of new SP if I make another 7 years worth of contributions before SP age so I'll make sure I do.

In other news I've had a nsd and got a £3 voucher and a free month's Amazon prime by way of an apology as my popcorn didn't arrive the next day as promised. Glad I sent a grumblemail now :D

Other mfw and general well being successes included ;

Enough water drunk

Lo for lunch and batch cooked veggie chilli for dinner

Daily sweep and wipe done

Recycling sorted, put out and collected

Marking up to date

20 mins weights reps done

Swallowed two frogs - one letter, one email

Off to bed as I'm really tired tonight. Happy hump day to you :)

PP xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback